“Superb hotel, fantastic staff, lovely room!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Residence

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bath
The Residence
You added The Residence to your Saves list
Weston Road, Bath BA1 2XZ, England   |
Ranked #140 of 190 Bath B&B and Inns
South East London
“Superb hotel, fantastic staff, lovely room!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

My wife and I stayed at The Residence recently for a 2 night break. On arrival the staff were extremely welcoming and friendly, and we were very impressed with the grandure of the building and the various rooms that are at guests disposal, i.e. the bar, the spa area, the relaxing lounge and gardens.

Our room, the Loft Room, was spacious, clean and funky with lovely views over the Victoria Park. It also had great bathroom with the best 6 jet power shower ever and separate deep bath! We were very impressed with the attention to detail such as lovely toiletries (White Company), thick towels, candles around the bath and of course the infamous Adult draw!!! ;o)

The breakfast was delicious and we really liked the open plan kitchen / dinning room, which gave it a very homely feel.

Bath town centre is a 15 minute walk through Victoria Park, where you walk past The Royal Crescent and The Circus, therefore making it a very enjoyable way to walk off the great breakfast!

All in all, we would both highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Bath. We didnt want to leave! ;o)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

Didn't stay in the hotel but me and my partner booked a spa treatment. Chanelle was very friendly and welcoming making sure we were okay. The spa rooms were also very nice as they had private showers. Included cotton slippers, bath robe and towels. We got to use the sauna and steam room to ourselves. We had the salt scrub treatment which was excellent however the lady my partner had, had scrubbed the same arm twice leaving his other arm unscrubbed. The massage was fantastic and very relaxing i nearly ended up falling asleep. Had two course meal there, the rib steak which was veryyy nice and suculant, very well done to the chef, also had the burger with chips which was not bad either. Overall it was great and very friendly.. Will def return and tell me friends about this place.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Devon, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

Have just enjoyed a weekend at The Residence where I took my mother to celebrate her 80th birthday. From the warm welcome on arrival from Liz, the Manager, to the warm hugs when we left, we could not fault the hotel.

I had reservations initially as I felt from the website that The Residence was really geared up for couples but was lured by the opulence of the rooms in the photos, and all the fantastic reviews on Trip Advisor. It is an exceptionally romantic hotel and yes, it probably is designed with couples in mind but my mum and I didn't feel out of place and were made most welcome.

I had booked The Queen Room as it looked so lovely in the photos and was just within my budget but on arrival we were upgraded to The King Room. Wow! What a room! What a bathroom! Luxurious crisp white sheets and bedding all came from The White Company, as did the toiletries in the bathroom and the towels. The bed was super comfortable, even sharing with my mother! The mini bar was well-stocked even though we didn't use it, and everything you needed was in the bottom drawer, even matches to light the candles in the bathroom!

We had a peek at The Emporer Room (a huge, impressive suite) and The Queen Room which was lovely too. Those 2 rooms plus The King Room are all on the first floor at the front of the building and overlook Victoria Park.

Had a complimentary half hour back, neck and shoulder massage and I have to say, it was one of the best massages I have ever had, shame it ended so soon! Mum enjoyed a manicure too.

The breakfasts are out of this world, everything is home made, as mentioned in previous reviews, and the granola really is to die for. Also, if you get a chance, try the ice-cream selection at dinner - we had banana flavour which was fantastic and creamy, and also Christmas Pudding flavour but what was absolutely scrummy was the Balsamic Ice-Cream! Try some if you can!

The library is very traditionally furnished - wall to wall books, old leather Chesterfield style sofas, and plenty of glossy mags. Any time you want a hot drink you just need to ask and you get. There was another sitting room towards the bar, much lighter and more contemporary than the library in its furnishings, but not so cosy.

The staff are all very friendly and welcoming, especially Liz and Victoria. We met James too who was also lovely and kind.

All in all, this is a highly luxurious home from home, with the emphasis on personal service and attention to detail. Having said that, it has a very informal atmosphere; there are no dos and don'ts as you sometimes find in large hotels, and nothing is too much trouble.

I would definitely stay here again, would recommend to all my friends who could afford it (it isn't cheap) and would like to thank all the staff who made my mother's 80th birthday so lovely. She couldn't stop talking about the hotel all the way home!

• Liked — Opulent, individually designed rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009
Christchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

Just arrived back from a one night stay at the residence. Found the hotel difficult to locate but eventually struck lucky. No problem parking, but i would imagine that at very busy times then parking could pose a problem for guests.
On arrival we were given a complimentary glass of bubbly and then a tour of the beautiful house.

Our room the attic was the cheapest room and probably the smallest but it was perfect and unbelievably cosy. Beautiful white company bed linen, antique furnishings with a touch of modern. Lots of soft lighting, candles, Tea ,coffee and even fresh milk was provided in the mini fridge. We found that the room being at the top of the house was very hot. However a fan is provided.
The bathroom was pristine with a lovely deep bath and gorgeous toiletries. It would have been nice to have a shower too, but just a very minor niggle.

We both had a neck back and shoulder massage in the treatment room and this was great with a beautiful range of oils used. We were a little dissapointed with the steam room and sauna as they were not very good temperatures.
The room where you can relax before after and between treatments was so nice though and we felt thoroughly pampered.

In the evening we decided to go out to eat at Jamie's italian which i can thoroughly recommend. However if we return to the Residence we would certainly choose to dine in the hotel.
Canute was so helpful and arranged a taxi to take us into town when we realised that the walk was longer than we had envisaged.

Breakfast the next morning was divine!..a basket of fresh breads and mini pastries was bought to our table as well as freshly squeezed fruit juices. Delicious homemade lemon curd and jam was provided at the table. Even the brown ketchup was homemade!
We both went for full english which included top quality bacon and sausage, the best fried eggs ever, tomatoes, mushrooms, potatoes, black pudding. We particularly loved the fact that the kitchen is incorporated into the eating area so you can see everything being prepared.
Again fresh crisp linens and beautiful surroundings made our experience perfect.

Whilst at the residence we looked at a couple of the other more expensive rooms which were all individually decorated and stunning!

I would without a doubt stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — The special little touches and attention to detail. The breakfast especially the lemon curd!
  • Disliked — No shower in room. The distance from town.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

My husband and I have just returned from the hotel as we were celebrating our first wedding anniversary. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous, funky, clean and sexy. We stayed in the Attic room, which we were expecting to be small, however we were pleasantly surprised. The ‘adult’ drawer was fun, however I can’t imagine anyone buying anything from it, when you have to hand over the slip of paper for purchases at the front desk when checking out (or am I being prudish?).

The food was beautiful and reasonably priced for the standard. However, when I mentioned that a piece of steak was a little fatty, the Chef really didn’t seem concerned. The cocktails in the bar were delicious - ask Canute to make you a Jimmy Hendrix. We definitely will come back to the hotel again and recommend it to anyone (providing you have lots of money!)

• Liked — The food, the decor, the personal touches.
  • Disliked — Nothing save for the price.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

This hotel is fabulous. There is a very relaxed atmosphere many personal touches which really make a trip. I would heartily recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Bath. The chef is fantastic and nothing is too much trouble for the staff.

• Liked — atmosphere and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Limited parking onsite
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

I booked a two night break at the Residence for a very special occasion and it was absolutely incredible. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Queen room, which was beautiful. I had originally been slightly worried about the separate bathroom (the Queen is the only room in the hotel that does not have ensuite), however this was not a problem at all as it was only a few metres down the corridor and bathrobes were provided. And the bathroom was extremely impressive, definitely worth not having ensuite for!!! The staff at the Residence were very attentive with incredible attention to detail. We will definitely be visiting again!

• Liked — Breakfast in bed was a real treat!
  • Disliked — It was about a 15 minute walk into town
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Residence? Share your experiences!