“Not all plain sailing.......” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bailbrook House

You added Bailbrook House to your Saves list
Bailbrook House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Eveleigh Avenue | London Road West, Bath BA1 7JD, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Bath
Shaw, Lancs.
“Not all plain sailing.......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

The Hotel is a grand building with a large annexe housing many bedrooms and Breakfast Dining Room. Although a bit of a trek through endless corridors it is worth it when you get to your room (an Executive Double in our case). Bath is a 30 minute walk away (or Taxi around £9.00). We had a few issues on arrival and in the Conservatory Dining Room which were dealt with in a very positive manner. The Night Manager, the Under Manager and the Manager all requested to meet us (separately) and were thoroughly apologetic and professional. We were quite satisfied that ours was a one-off experience and hence we are very happy to leave a positive review.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an Executive or, or if splashing out, one in the old buuilding
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Easy to reach with enough parking space, lovely people at the reception and a very cosy lounge which I enjoyed working from, complimentary tee as I had to wait for the room to be cleanded. Free Wifi. Open chimney fire in the lounge.
Rooms are lovely and spacious, huge comfortable bed and clean bathroom.

Room Tip: to get a luxurious room, ask for a named room in the main house
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Wonderful hotel, and very friendly staff. Slight service blip in Conservatory Restaurant one night, but it didn't impact on our stay, and The Manager called me on my return home to discuss the issue. Breakfast was plentiful and the staff worked extremely efficiently. We asked for a quiet room and certainly got it. There were functions on 2 consecutive nights and we didn't hear a thing. Only slight downside to this hotel is that it is at the top of a very steep winding drive. It wouldn't suit you unless you have a reasonable level of fitness, and no shopping ! Nice addition might be a spa and pool. There seems plenty of room for them. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House, responded to this review, today
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and it was good to talk to you earlier in the week. It is great to read you will recommend us; thank you.

Have a wonderful Xmas

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Only stayed the one night, treated my mum as an Xmas gift, it is by far the best hotel I have had the pleasure to visit in a very long time, this also applies to the food, it's definitely Michelin star quality!! The staff went out of their way to make sure we had a fab stay nothing was to much trouble. This hotel the food and the staff are amazing, fabulous!! and I can't wait to visit again. Thank you very much for helping to deliver a perfect Xmas gift to my mum.

• Stayed December 2014
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased that you and your mum enjoyed your stay.Thank you so much for all your kind words about the food and the team; I know everyone will be delighted when they read your review.

It is great to read you will visit us again - don’t leave it too long!

Have a great Xmas.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We booked to stay in the manor house in a deluxe room although the room was not deluxe. The hotel lobby had little to suggest it was christmas! The reception staff were great and showed us to the room on entering the room the first thing I noticed were the ring marks/burns on the ottoman and the room felt cold we were shown how to work the air conditioning and set about turning up the temperature. One of the bathroom lights was not working and only an over the bath type shower with one of those rubber matts!
we got back from dinner to find the heating not working not ideal as it was -5 outside. A lovely man came up and after a while agreed it was not working, he did offer us an electric heater but said he would talk to the manager first.
A little later we were offered another room we accepted and around 11.30pm gathered our belongings and moved to a room with heating although here the television remotes did not work and the draw string for the curtain was broken and there were alot of cobwebs on the chandelier, also the sheet on the bed did not fit.
All a shame really. Breakfast service was good although very dry perhaps a little too long in the bain marie.

Room Tip: The Jane Austin is nice.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Bailbrook, General Manager at Bailbrook House, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. It was good to discuss with you your comments on the phone earlier. I do appreciate that you took time out to send me your feedback, and as I explained it was very useful and I have already made changes where needed. Finally, please accept my sincere apologies for what happened.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The restaurant was rather empty but it is a beautiful space and the food was excellent. The room was also very comfortable. We were in the modern part of the hotel, however, which is rather soulless .
Breakfast is excellent and they handle a large number of people efficiently even if the fresh orange juice dispenser needed filling.

The decor and ambiance of the sitting rooms in the old part of the hotel is rather cold.Those areas are disappointing and not really a place to curl up and relax.

Having said that, the service is friendly and efficient (though we should really have been shown to our room on arrival and not left to find it ourselves)

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. On the whole I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that you did not receive a rooming when you arrived. Thank you for your comments about how friendly and efficient the team were.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Possibly the most difficult review I've ever written... There are so many amazing things about this hotel; reception staff are friendly, welcoming and helpful; the staff serving lunch in the lounge were very friendly and professional; Mark, the Concierge was fabulous and very knowledgeable.

Our room, the Thomas Gainsborough located in the mansion house was excellent and would have been superb if the heating had worked ... We were eventually given an electric heater which, although not ideal, was very appreciated. The bed was the best I have ever slept in... Crisp, clean linen and pillows that you sink into. The coffee machine and champagne were a thoughtful touch.

And then there was dinner. Canapés served in the lounge were gorgeous and had the desired effect of making us truly look forward to our meal. However, please consider either removing old menus or placing the correct ones earlier as it is disappointing to discover the menu you had read at 3pm was not the menu for the evening!

I won't linger on dinner as it was sadly lacking. Items not as described, bread stale, main course of shredded lamb (described as braised lamb shank) very salty and red wine served far too cold. It would be nicer to the staff if they were taught not only to ask if everything was ok, but how to deal with a dissatisfied customer... Not to simply walk away and say nothing. My personal feeling here is that there was no experienced supervision at all in the restaurant.. Until too late when we were asked again how everything had been. This was dealt with quite well, although could have been done sooner.

Breakfast was wonderful and the service completely different again with the very cheerful and friendly Gaby very obviously in charge and control of service. Food was excellent.

An adjustment was made to my bill for the lack of heating in the room and this was very much appreciated. But... Without wishing to appear ungrateful... It wasn't the lack of heating that annoyed me. The staff were quick to supply a heater and acknowledge the problem. What annoys me is the complete head in sand approach regarding the awful dinner and service. The adjustment should have been for that. Further, I would suggest that when a customer says their red wine is too cold, do not start quoting temperatures at them... I bit my tongue about my masters in wine.

Overall, with the majority of service being impeccable, I would love to visit Bailbrook House again... But would perhaps have dinner in town.

• Stayed December 2014
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that I called you and once again please accept my apologies that dinner was not to your expectations. I have taken notes following our phone call and I will discuss them with the team. On a more positive note thank you for your comments about breakfast and Gabi; they are much appreciated.

Jonathan

Been to Bailbrook House? Share your experiences!