“Steak Heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Bath, United Kingdom
“Steak Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Having found The Herd, we entered the unassuming entrance on Argyle street and walked down into a delightful space of natural wood tables and a cool ambience of Jazz/Swing music gently playing in the background.
The Steaks we had, being sourced from a local farm, were beautifully cooked and melt in your mouth gorgeous. The wine was also first rate. If you like quality Steak and fine wines, I recommend you eat here. Take your time too, the atmosphere and friendly staff are relaxed. Settle in for a delightful evening.
We are looking forward to our next visit Herd people!!

Visited July 2013

86% Recommend
“Absolutely amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled across this place when I had walked down argyle street and noticed it, the minute my partner suggested we go out for food I immediately said we had to try this place!

It did not dissapoint! We both had steaks and they were absolutely beautiful! Easily the best steak I've ever had! It's all local which is always a major plus for us and I liked the menu snippet about what beef it was and where it had come from and who had butchered it.

I also noticed that the chicken they serve is free range which is wonderful to see! You can clearly tell they care about what you're eating!

I will be heading back there hopefully very soon and reccommending this place to everyone I know! The food is well worth the price and the service was also very good!

Great atmosphere, great food, will be heading back again in no time!!

Warrington, United Kingdom
“We found a hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Discovered the Herd one evening while looking for a good steak house. Approaching from Great Poultney Street we were uncertain as the stairs took us down to the unknown. What a surprise to find a bright and cool atmosphere which was very welcoming especially in the July heat we were experiencing. There were few diners on our visit as the establishment had only recently been open, but as these reviews will suggest the Herd is going to become very popular.
If you are looking for good quality local produce, simply cooked to your exact requirements, and served by friendly staff then may I suggest you visit this excellent steakhouse.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Newly opened steakhouse – “The Herd””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I visited with friends and family.

To start, I chose a favourite of mine, Beef Carpaccio, which was superb. My Stepmother very much enjoyed a Bruschetta with Mushrooms. My dad couldn't choose, so I ordered a meat platter for him, with homemade bread, which he thoroughly enjoyed.

The highlight for me had to be my perfectly cooked fillet steak - the meat was so tender! My Dad chose the same and even with it cooked 'well done', he said this could possibly be the best steak he has ever had and he added that the pepper sauce was also lovely.

I chose a selection of side dishes to share around the table, including fantastic mashed potatoes, onions rings and an ingenious idea of pepper rings (following the idea of onion rings), these rings of green, red and yellow peppers had been cooked in a batter and tasted amazing! I will certainly be choosing these again and they added to a great tasting meal.
Everyone thoroughly enjoyed everything, we had a little room for dessert and the Sticky Toffee Pudding did not disappoint, a very generous portion and tasted great.

I have been long awaiting another option for steak in Bath, and I am pleased this restaurant has opened. With a good selection of red wine I will certainly become a regular here!
Thank you very much.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent food, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

So new we could still smell the paint of the walls, we luckily stumbled across this hidden gem below the Pultney bridge. Our extremely friendly waiter Claudia treated us, a big, chaotic party of 8, ranging from age 1 to 43, with the best possible service from the start.

The food was delicious; the carpaccio especially was lovely. We all had different main courses, and they were all really, really good. The kids ate every last crumb of their grilled chicken, but for full score, they might want to make specials for children.

The home-made ice-cream passed the expert panel (age 4-8), and also the chocolate mousse and the rice pudding excelled our expectations. I sincerely hope the critical audience of Bath give the Herd the attention it deserves from now on.