“Getting better” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Bath
“Getting better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Excellent linguine with octopus. melt in your mouth unlike most octopus I have eaten. Their Gavi is superb.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Good authenticity with good service and ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Came here back in September with my girlfriend to celebrate our next move in life! We fancied a good Italian and that's exactly what we got!
Nice, friendly service and delicious food!
The pasta we had was very good, an excellent tomato sauce and al dente as a good pasta should be.
The dessert was even better with my girlfriend wanting to order a 2nd!
All in all an Italian I would recommend to everyone.
Nonna has certainly left her mark, well done to the young couple running the place!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Authentic Italian cucina and a friendly welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

We were just passing late on a dreary wet Monday lunchtime and stumbled on this gem of a restaurant. Two courses for under £10 enticed us in and together with a glass of a brilliant Pinot Grigio made a really enjoyable lunch. Suddenly the day got much better.

A menu and cooking inspired by the owners grandmother were quite evidently authentic Italian. Great flavours and interestingly different.

Very friendly. And it emerged they had just won a Best Italian award.

Visited November 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Poor attitude a let down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

No complaints with the food but attitude of staff poor. We had booked and were seated at a table in the window next to the door. What we didn't appreciate until we had started our meal is that we were not sitting in the restaurant more like a seat in the bar. There were two other tables in this area one of which was unoccupied and the other empitied whilst we were on our starter which meant that we were effectively eating on our own. There was music which we could barely hear as there were no speakers in our area. There was also the issue of a cold draft every time the door opened. We raised this with one of the senior waiting staff who basically said no one had ever complained before and couldnt see what our problem was! If other diners had not failed to turn up it would not have been an issue and if we had said something sooner she could have done something about it. Bad attitude. Towards the end of our meal a couple were seated next to us an immediately asked to be moved. two complaints in one evening and none previously - funny that!
There was ultimately a correction made to our bill which was appreciated but too late.
Lesson here is make sure when you book you ask to be seated in main part of restaurant. Lesson for restaurant pay attention to what the customers says!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
LauraLicata, Owner at Nonna's Cucina Italiana, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments.

I apologise if you did enjoy your experience and did not feel I handled your comments well.

I think I was simply surprised and perhaps a little upset you waited until you had finished your desserts and coffee before mentioning the fact you were not happy with the table. As mentioned to you at the time, if you had alerted us earlier we would have done our best to move you to another table as indeed we did straight away with the other couple.

Unfortunately, by the time you mentioned you were not happy with the table it was too late for me to do anything about it as A) you had finished your meal and B) other tables for 4 that I could have moved you to were by then occupied.

I want everyone to leave the restaurant happy so was a little bemused I was not made aware of an issue until it was too late for me to correct it.

At this late stage the only thing I could do was offer you each a glass of wine on the house which you turned down.

To apologise the only option left was to take some money off the bill. I am sorry you felt this was too little too late, but frustratingly there was little else I could do as you had finished your meal.

The table you were seated on is often popular so it's impossible for me to know people are not happy with it unless they tell me so. I will bear your comments in mind and keep my eye on this for the future.

Also, to try to resolve the draught situation in future a curtain barrier is being installed around the door this week.

Thank you again for for your comments.

Laura
oxford
“Tepid food cold room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Why did I not complain....i was a guest so Nona got away with slow service, a door that did not close and delivered a icy blast into the room, and miserable food. My chicken dish was barely warm it tasted as if it had been cooked the day before and poorly re heated. The chicken thigh and drum stick were tough and colder in the middle than on the surface. The plate was a sad grey mush and the "roast" potatoes were buried cold and slimy under the mush. I left most of it and I had to grit my teeth as I was asked at least twice if I was enjoying it. No I was not! I tasted the small dishes of pasta offered to the two vegetarians with me. No Italian grandmother or Nona would have been proud of the thin tomato sauce. The staff were friendly but surely they must know what is happening in the kitchen ...shame on you Nona

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
LauraLicata, Owner at Nonna's Cucina Italiana, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

Regarding the cold air coming in from the door a curtain barrier is being installed this week to resolve the problem, so thank you for your feedback.

However, I wish you had told us you were not happy with the food at the time you were dining as we could have done something about it.

If you were not happy we would have taken it straight back to the kitchen and had it recooked from scratch.

We always listen to customer comments and take feedback seriously.

The kitchen will not always get everything 100% perfect all the time which is exactly why we always ask customers if they are happy with everything; it's to give the customer the opportunity to alert us if it is not so it can be corrected.

Our aim is for everyone to leave happy but this is very difficult to achieve if customers do not let us know when there is a problem at the time of dining.