“Tasty” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 459 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Allium Brasserie opened in 2012 and serves a variety of dishes from light lunches to a la carte dinner from 12 noon until 9pm (10pm on Friday and Saturdays). A superb range of dishes, using the freshest, seasonal ingredients, are created by head chef Chris Staines and his team. Terrace dining can be enjoyed when the weather is good, where you can also enjoy coffees and afternoon teas - also served in the Allium Lounge where you are surrounded by original artworks in an ever-changing exhibition. One the most exciting restaurants in Bath.
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Went to Bath to celebrate a birthday and wanted somewhere nice to eat. We weren't disappointed with our meal at the Allium restaurant. Good food, good, friendly, attentive (without being over the top) service and a nice relaxed atmosphere. Well done to the Abbey Hotel and Chris Staines.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bath, United Kingdom
“saturday night out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Disappointing experience for the money. The food was good but at £9 for a starter or pudding it should be .We were in a sort of annexe with no atmosphere and this may also have made the service not great. If I am paying £40 for 2 courses I expect not to have to ask for water when my glass is empty. It was also cold in the restaurant and the radiators seemed to be off even when a frost was forecast for the night! I feel there are many much better value places in Bath with more atmosphere. Having said that for lunch it would be good as the food is different and interesting, the set menu is very reasonable and a lack of atmosphere matters less.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bath, United Kingdom
“Sunday evening drinks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Went to Allium on Sunday evening for drinks as I had been told about the new wine list, which is fantastic. Had an excellent bottle of Californian viogner, service from the sole bartender was spot on and had a very nice evening. Very relaxed and accommodating bar.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bath
“Pannacotta or breast inplant?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

As a matter of course we give Bath restaurants, save for one or two exceptions, a wide birth.Most combine high prices with moderate offerings targeted at the passing tourist trade.For the locals Bristol is the place to go with Flinty Red,Bell's Diner,Casamia and the newly excellent arrival "Wilks" way ahead of the competition.

However having been recommended this new kid on the block with a chef of seemingly proven provenance we tried it out on a quiet Saturday just after Christmas.Well looked after by the Hungarian waitress who recognised us from her time at The Priory we thought it would be good to try it again when the man himself was cooking ( on holiday on our first try).We did have reservations over the combining of flavours and the number of random ingredients but reckoned it worth a second look given the promising reviews.

Located in a faded central Hotel in the process of restoration punters are now directed to the combined Hotel and restaurant reception where a young man pointedly looked at his watch at our early arrival( 8.30 for a 8.45 reservation)Perhaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt because he did offer us the choice of our table or a drink in the bar.We opted for the bar as was our intention- big mistake! Big mistake for it was to be another hour before we lifted our cutlery for our starter.

An hour was a long time to wait in this rather mix and match furnished hotel lounge.Personally I don't mind waiting and eating late but one tends to end up in an empty restaurant with the staff tapping their feet or laying up the tables for next day not to mention the kitchen staff running out of steam and concentration in the preparation of the offerings

Anyway the Bar Manager seemed an amusing fellow and we had a nice tussle over the fact that the wine was not the vintage shown in the list. If one is paying £75 for a Burgundy(£25 with a £50 mark up) then please serve the right vintage.He mitigated this by complimentary aperitifs so honour was satisfied.Good to see though that the wine list had been greatly expanded since our original visit so perhaps they do listen to their customers.

So we waited and waited with no hint of apology or even some free nibbles to compensate.Just before our target time to leave of 9.30 we were called to the trough.The startled young man offered his belated apologies when a flea was delivered to his "lughole".

Having seated ourselves my partner thought the table both had a list to starboard and a wobble.I assured her it was the hunger pangs causing her to be light headed but no she was quite right.The Bar Manager having arrived with our wine in an empty chilled ice bucket which was acting as a substitute for a wine cooler( they had run out apparently) we were beginning to think this evening was going to end in tears.

After much fiddling by the staff with the drunken table we we offered and accepted another larger table.Finally our starters landed as the waitress leaned right across the table to deliver them.

Predictably given what had gone on before the wait wasn't worth it.

Claggy goat's cheese churned with mint and something bitty-I presume some nut-topped off with assorted beetroot and leaves was at best passable but my partner's hay roasted vegetables was voted a success but a thumbs down for the pickled vegetables.

My farmed fillet of sea bream was I thought overcooked and over seasoned. The combinanation of a lemon curd dressing, the now dreaded pickled vegetable with the extreme saltiness of the fish was most unappealing.A nice bit of pollock was again ruined with excess seasoning.
Granted the maitre 'd offered an alternative but we were losing the will to live by now.

The pannacottas instead of being light and creamy could have been more productively used as breast implants given the amount of gelatin dispensed in their creation.I'll never be able to look at a 32B cup sze in the same way again.We heard our disparaging comments of the desert repeated at volume in the kitchen.Very enjoyable!

Finally the sight and sound of the aged night porter shuffling not once but three times across the restaurant floor brought yet another glamorous night out in the high spots of Bath to a close.

Oh well back to trekking across to Bristol.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ChrisStainesBath, Manager at Allium Brasserie, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear BathBarthes,

Firstly I would like to say thank you for taking the time to write such an in depth and lengthy review of Allium, and having investigated and read all of your other contributions here on Trip Advisor I can honestly say that you have missed your calling as a restaurant critic.

Whilst I applaud the right of all people to have their opinion and express it however they so wish, I feel that I must take issue with some of your more acerbic comments, which to my mind are self aggrandising, boastful and childish at best.

I would like to answer your review in two parts if i may? firstly the comments on the food element of your visit.

We are a small independently owned business and as such completely rely on the feedback (both positive and negative) of our valued customers, and we feel very strongly that when we receive feedback and one of our guests has taken the time to present it to us in a constructive manner, that it is essential that we take their comments on board and try to improve our offering. One example of this as you rightly pointed out in your review is our wine list, now much improved.

I was deeply saddened to hear that you felt the food on this visit did not meet your expectations and it seems very unfortunate that out of the 80 or so people who dined in the restaurant on the evening in question that you seemed to get a completely different experience from everyone else. I can only imagine, given that you ordered several of the most popular dishes on the menu, and found them to be so unpalatable that perhaps this style of food is not one which you enjoy.

The Lychee Panna Cotta which you "amusingly" refer to as a breast implant (sic) and claim was out of a packet, happens to be our best selling dessert. And whilst I don't wish to compare you with "the great unwashed of Bath" (as you so eloquently refer to the Bath locals in your review of the Wheatsheaf) it does generally get really great comments.

Anyway, I would next like to answer your comments regarding the service which you received on the evening of your visit to Allium.

Whilst myself and the Bar Manager (who incidentally is rather an amusing fellow) are big enough and ugly enough to take your bullying form of self important humour for what it is, our young team of passionate and caring servers do not have such thick skins, so when faced with a guest who is mocking and brash then they tend to become a bit unnerved.

This may seem on the face of it dear reader a rather scathing and unpleasant attack on a perfectly harmless reviewer who has every right to expression here or anywhere else for that matter. However ....as well as the complimentary drinks offered to the reviewer on the evening, we also had to offer complimentary drinks to two other couples who dined with us on the same evening!

Their complaint, not the food or the service but the "horrid and boorish" man on the next table who ruined their evening and was the "rudest person" they had ever come across, both couples actually apologising and asking if the waiting staff were okay.

In closing I would like to reiterate my thanks for taking the time to write such a lengthy (albeit verging on fictional) review, and also my apologies that on this occasion we did not meet your obviously exacting standards.

Whilst I can't say hand on heart that we would love to have you back to try and redeem ourselves in your eyes, I will say this, should you come back to Allium you will be treated as all of our guests are, with respect and courtesy, however should you fail to show these most basic of human qualities to my team then we shall unfortunately have to ask you to leave.

Whilst we are in the service industry and take great pleasure in providing what we feel is good service we are NOT servile nor are we servants and we feel that a bit of common courtesy is not too much to ask.

Should you wish to discuss any of the aspects of your review in more depth please feel free to contact me at chrisstaines@abbeyhotelbath.co.uk.

Kind Regards

Chris Staines
Chef Patron
Saint-Nazaire, France
“In Between a Brasserie and a fine dining restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

It's a beautifull restaurant, and you can simply tell when the plates arrives that the quality is there, the products are delicious and very well cooked with lots of imagination in the plate. The dishes are very nice, and you hesitate to eat it not wanted to break the work of art... Being french i'll say, watch out a Michelin stars is on a way....

Visited April 2013