“Fabulous!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Not one to normally leave feedback but felt it was a must for here! My boyfriend and I visited the Hare and Hounds on Sunday for lunch. We hadn't booked and it was very busy however after waiting only 5-10 minutes in a lovely lounge type area a table became free. We sat by the window overlooking the beautiful surroundings and large garden area. There was a very relaxed atmosphere and we felt really at home. We both ordered the roast beef and have to say although slightly more expensive, it was probably the best roast I have ever had! The service was also spot on and staff very efficient. Will definately go back!

• Visited February 2013

Bath, United Kingdom
“Worth visiting for the views, but could do better and rather pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

In a city where stunning panoramas are rather taken for granted, this large pub, high above the city has one of the finest views you could hope for anywhere. Unusually for Bath you look out over a largely rural scene untroubled by eighteenth century terraces and only slightly troubled by a twentieth century by-pass. There is a good garden from which to enjoy the view in the summer. Until recentlythat was really all that could be said for the Hare and Hounds. The food used to match the uninspiring 70s interior décor, and the pub was certainly in need of a fresh start.

It is now under new ownership (the same owners run the fashionable Marlborough Tavern) and it has been transformed. Unfortunately the transformation has not been a complete success. The internal decoration is certainly much better. Quiet off white paint, tasteful pictures and new wooden flooring all work well. Wooden tables with chairs salvaged from schools give it a fashionable slightly shabby chic feel that is very much de rigeur in gastropubs. And this is now a gastropub with the emphasis on gastronomy rather than pubbery. The menu, although comparatively restrained, still has some of the irritating descriptions favoured by the modern British chef: “pan-fried” this and “beer-battered” that, although I must admit that, despite my irritation, I found myself tempted by the “Wookey-hole-cave-aged Cheddar cheese”.

Sadly, on the night we visited, the quality of the food did not justify the sort of prices that make one gasp. Three of our party of seven decided to have starters. Without exception we were disappointed. The portions were ridiculously small: 4 very small scallops ought not to cost £9.50, especially not when some were partially burnt. The “Red pepper tart” was a tiny piece of puff pastry topped with chopped peppers: pleasant enough, but far from special, although the accompanying duck egg was poached to perfection.

For the main course, I went unhesitatingly for one of the cheapest items on the menu: venison sausages with mashed potato. Mashed potato is hardly a challenging dish, but this was probably the worst I have had for at least forty two years, and possibly ever. My school used to serve particularly poor mash every Tuesday but this, I think, was even worse. It had no taste to speak of which was perhaps just as well. The texture was just horrible: so sloppy and slushy it would have caused a riot, or at least a lot of crying, at even the most respectable Church of England Primary School. I had wisely eschewed the gravy, but my daughter fell for it and duly found that when mixed with the potato it produced a repulsive emulsion. The sausages themselves were fine but unexceptional. I did in fact clear my plate, for three reasons: (1) 1 am naturally greedy, (2) I was feeling particularly hungry after the disappointment of the red pepper tart, and (3) I was trained over many years to eat up school dinners that were, overall, even nastier. But £11.50 for this was cheeky to say the least.

The other dishes were better. One of my companions chose fillet steak, recommended by our waiter - the same one who had also rather suspiciously recommended the scallops. Nevertheless the steak looked, and apparently tasted, good, as did the sirloin steak ordered by an athlete in our party. He was also very happy to finish the uneaten three-quarters of the hamburger chosen by my other daughter (who was in an abstemious mood), and pronounced it to be of excellent quality. The fish, on the other hand, a whole plaice, was somewhat overcooked and disappointing. Everyone (including the athlete, who eats a high protein diet) liked the side salads that were ordered separately.

I can't speak for the wine, because we only had one glass between all of us and I did not taste it, but the draught Bath Ales bitter was excellent. A certain amount of “home-made” lemonade was drunk and everyone seemed to like it, without raving ecstatically. There was a little too much “can we get you any more drinks?” for my taste but, that said, tap water was provided without any fuss and nicely presented in chilled bottles.

Puddings were good in a reasonably no-nonsense way, although again nothing to get too excited about, and we had 6 between us and a coffee. The whole meal came to £200.00 plus optional service for seven people.

So all in all: a mixture of the good, the indifferent and the downright awful. For the prices they charge, they ought to do a lot better.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bath, United Kingdom
“What a treat ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

... in all respects. The views are stunning (get a window seat), the staff great and the food is wonderful. Sunday lunch particularly good, but they do the usual things so well. Changed hands recently, now a wonderful place in a city with a lot of competition. From Bath, up Lansdown Hill nearly to the Park and Ride. Book, it's busy.

• Visited January 2013
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“All Round Jolly Good Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Recently went to the Hare & Hounds for a family meal, age group 16 - 83 years - which could have proved very difficult. In fact it was a dream, service was excellent and so was the food. Definately recommend it as it was really refreshing to have both good service and food in the same place! Well done to all. We will be back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Oasis in desert of snow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I got caught in a traffic jam in the snow so I pulled in for a rest. The staff were so kind to me offering me free drinks, use of their private lounge and the use of their computer to check the travel news. Lovely atmosphere and tasty burger and chips.