“Nice hotel - make sure you don't need a lift!” 4 of 5 stars

Milsoms Hotel
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   24 Milsom Street, Bath BA1 1DG, England   |
Ranked #118 of 193 Bath B&B and Inns
Millie033
“Nice hotel - make sure you don't need a lift!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The hotel is small and intimate. Lovely friendly staff who were all helpful and welcoming. We were up at the top of 4 flights of stairs. There is no lift so if you have problems with mobility give this one a miss.

The location is perfect as long as you don't bring the car. Having read the reviews I left the car at home and got the train. It is a nice easy walk through town from the station to the hotel. Once there the hotel is on top of all Bath has to offer and I would highly recommend it for that reason.

The breakfast was adequate but not amazing but the waiting staff were so friendly it helped make up for it.

The rooms are clean and fresh - not the height of luxury but well maintained and pleasant. I all I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for somewhere at the centre of Bath and affordable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Recently stayed over the bank holiday. Very friendly welcome from staff. Rooms are characterful - a little jaded but in a pleasant sort of writers retreat way. It's a fabulous central location and easy to walk to all the major sites and restaurants in Bath from here.

I'd probably try to avoid having room 4 though (unless you are going out late) - because it faces onto the Slug and Lettuce and the Revolution bar, so was quite noisy until they closed. Deathly silent after that though. Other rooms don't seem to face the same way.

Another thing to note is that if you are a bit large (or pregnant in my case) you shouldn't try to enter through the hotel entrance because the two doors work against each other and trap you in the porch. Oh and there are a fair few stairs!

Wouldn't recommend to business users or those looking for luxury and relaxation as there is no room service or staff, no internet or other facilities other than a room and bathroom and restaurant below. I would recommend to visitors to bath who are looking for an interesting place to stay, to explore and to use as a base that's a bit different to a travel lodge and has a more intimate feel.

Breakfast is wonderful for fish lovers.

Great place to stay for the price.

Room Tip: We had room 4 and it was a bit noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I was booked into this hotel for business in Bath. Firstly the hotel is situated in the centre of Bath, but is more like a small B&B. There is little signage to indicate the hotel and there are no car parking facilities. I had to park my car some distance away.

Upon arrival there is no separate reception area for the hotel so guests have to check-in at the bar within a restaurant. The member of staff checking me literally took my name, gave me a key and left me at the bottom of the stairs (after walking through a corridor which as other reviews have stated smells awful!). There was no usual explanation of hotel facilities, breakfast, offer of a wake up call, newspaper etc. nor was there an offer to help with luggage to the top floor room I was allocated.

After reaching the top (I'm a fit person, but even I was gasping for breath at the top) the room (which still has entry via key; what 'modern' hotel uses keys?) was OK, but not brilliant compared to many other hotels I stay in. It was small and showing it's age with poor standards of decoration and fixtures. Again, not modern and fresh as described! In addition, as other reviews have stated, the communal areas are no better with worn carpets throughout - there was absolutely no grip on the stair carpet and nearly fell!

I then found out that a) there was no room service and by now I was too late to eat in the public restaurant, b) breakfast doesn't start until 8am. Not suitable for the business traveller at all.

I was then trying to work in the room (I would usually work in the hotel lounge/bar area!) when there was a terrible banging sound and noises coming into the room. I put up with this for a while but couldn't for much longer - and on top of that the radiator came on at full heat (on one of the hottest days of the year!). I phoned through to the restaurant who sent someone up who arranged for me to move rooms. It's lucky I phoned when I did as there are NO staff available after 11am. The restaurant closes, the doors and locked and there is no access to any facilities outside your room. There is no hotel reception, lounge area, or bar.

The new room was very similar but a lot smaller. There was a 30cm gap between the bed and the wall to negotiate. Terrible. The room was still so hot so had to have a fan on all night (no air conditioning).

I managed to make it for breakfast which was served in the restaurant from 8am. There was limited choice but the food was OK.

Then I went to check out with the member of staff who was working in the restaurant for breakfast. There was no usual questions, e.g. did you enjoy your stay etc. and simply a demand to pay my bill. All the hotels I use are fully paid by the booking company and do not require me to make any payment (and I had confirmation of this). The member of staff was really unsure what to do and still demanded I had to personally pay for the room - I can only assume they are not used to or set up to deal with corporate business bookings.

I was so annoyed at the whole catalogue of problems with this hotel and left very annoyed! This is NOT a hotel, and simply a restaurant with some rooms (9 in total) above it! There are no hotel facilities as you would expect.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room at this place!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We really enjoyed the stay there, though we stoped by only for a night. The staff was very helpful and friendly, we booked online and went there, they gave us room 1. It was lovely, very big and comfy, with nice mirrors and fire place and with a big bathroom, a nice traditional bath and good shower. But there was a problem with the plugs cause they were not working. Called the reception and they came straight away, and after they checked they dont work, they offered us another room, which was nr 3. Same big as the first one, and very nice bathroom, and very comfy bad. The staircase wasnt a problem for us being on second floor. In the morning the breakfast was included. We had a very nice stay at that hotel, so would recommend to friends .

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

The only thing going for this hotel is the location, the double room we stayed in was average at best, have stayed in Travelodges that are in better condion and being in a listed building is no excuse for its dilapidated state.

The entrance to the hotel is poor, through the restaurant and then through the back passing through what appears to be store room of fish, it's stinks foul almost like rotting fish.

This is not a four star hotel, maybe when it first opened bit not any more, i feel cheated and am considering getting my money back through a chargeback.

Nee're money spent on the hotel to bring it back to an acceptable standard.

I cannot recommend at all.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
chelmsford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Location couldn't be better , hotel itself could do with a lick of paint and the stairs are very steep( but it's a listed building so to be expected). Room small and very average . All in all a comfortable nights stay.

• Stayed March 2014
Hinckley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Lovely old hotel in the middle of Bath. Rooms were beautiful and well worth the money to upgrade to a feature room. Stairs may cause a problem to those who struggle, but they are a nice feature to the hotel. Breakfast was great, with plenty of choice and excellent service. would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Milsoms Hotel? Share your experiences!