“Hidden Gem!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 465 Restaurants in Bath
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated just a few steps away from the Roman Baths, our attractive and atmospheric restaurant is located in a charming candle lit historical cellar of natural Bath stone with vaulted ceilings throughout, and resembles the cavernous cellars of an Italian grotto.The main characteristic of our cuisine is its simplicity. We rely on the quality of our ingredients rather than on elaborate preparation.We also like to offer traditional Italian dishes with a contemporary twist because we strongly believe in those 'Sapori' (flavours).With our finest ingredients coming from Italy, and all of our fresh vegetables, seafood and meats sourced locally, we are able to ensure high quality dining that will exceed your expectations.We invite you to have a fun and relaxed dining experience with us.Service hours are as follows:Lunch hours: 12:00-14:30. Last order at 14:00Dinner service: 17:00-22:30. Last order at 22:00
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

From the street this place looks nothing special, the plastic plants don't help, but walk down the steps into this stylish understated restaurant with beautiful vaulted ceilings. The staff are attentive but not overly so, and the food was divine with stunning presentation, my husbands squid looked beautiful served in a brown paper bag on a wooden board and a small pot of aioli in a miniature kilner jar, even the lemon was beautifully wrapped in muslin to avoid the pips getting in the food - great attention to detail. His risotto was perfectly cooked and my veal melted in the mouth, finished off with one of the nicest (slightly boozy) tiramisus I have had - for three courses each and several drinks came to £65.00 which for the quality and service was great value. Another mention is the immaculately clean toilets with fab taps, often the loos can let a place down. All in all I can understand why this place is so highly rated and would recommend in a heartbeat.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Epsom, United Kingdom
“If you can get a table, book one”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Saw this restaurant on TripAdvisor and having been to Bath many times and never heard of it, thought we'd give it a go. Managed to get a table at a few days' notice, and were absolutely blown away. Fabulous setting, in an old cellar under the city, the waiters were attentive and friendly, the food was exceptionally good, and not just standard Italian fare although there are plain pizzas for the kids/the fussy, and the prices very reasonable. We were delighted to find it was everything TripAdvisor had led us to hope. We'll definitely go again.

Bidford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
“Highlight of our stay in Bath”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We went along to Sotto Sotto having read the reviews. It lived up to expectations fully. The building is quite unique and the lighting makes for a warm ambience. The food was fantastic, the staff attentive and friendly. Simone, our charming waiter was first class. We will return to the restaurant next time in Bath.

Bath
“Very, very noisy with average food but good service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Definitely not my number one Italian in Bath. So noisy that we couldn't hear the waiter and the sound echoes through the restaurant as it is in the underground vaults. I didn't feel spoilt for choice and there were only a few things that caught my eye and they were out of one of them - the calve's liver.

I had booked 2 months before and there were only 6.30 or 8.45 sittings available so my expectations were high.

My son and his French/Italian partner were not particularly impressed although we all agreed the service was very good - attentive and friendly. Bill was an average £80-odd for three without dessert and just one bottle of wine.

Only one toilet for the ladies so a constant queue.

I thought it was completely inappropriate that they presented us with best restaurant voting cards at the end of the meal which were already marked with best restaurant, best italian and one other category. If we completed the card, we would be up for a free meal. Now I now why it is 'best in Bath'!

For me, best Italian is Cafe Martini and best restaurant is Allium at the Abbey. Try them.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Antonio A, General Manager at Sotto Sotto, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Here at Sotto Sotto the emphasis is on total customer satisfaction. Unfortunately we cannot turn back the clock. I wish you would have mentioned your disappointment to your server on one of our standard check backs which we do at each course or, at the very least, that you had shared your thoughts with me. This being said, I would like the opportunity to address your concerns one by one. With regard to noise, Sotto Sotto is located in a historical stone cellar as is clearly shown in both the picture outside the restaurant as well as those on our web site and TripAdvisor. Due to the nature of the solid stone structure it might, during busy times, be a bit loud for some. If it felt that way for you we apologize. With regard to the Calf’s Liver. All of our meat is freshly delivered daily, and since we opened I never saw so many calf’s liver being ordered between lunch and dinner. By the time you have arrived, I believe at 8.45-9pm, it so happens that we had run out of Calf’s Liver. We apologize, but Giuseppe does not over order just to ensure the calf liver is fresh each day for our guests. With regard to you stating that your bill was an average £80-odd for three without dessert and just one bottle of wine, I must point out that you had precisely 3 starters, 3 mains, 1 side dish, handmade chocolate truffles, one espresso and a bottle of wine for £ 81.00 With regard to the toilette, you are trying to mislead. One lady’s’ toilet is sufficient for the size of our restaurant. You visited on Saturday night, one of the busiest nights of the week, therefore the pressure on facilities could have been above the norm. We apologize for your waiting to use the lady’s toilet, but it was not, and it’s never been, a constant queue. With regard to the nomination cards, which you call best restaurant voting cards, this is untrue and again misleading. Those are nomination cards from the Bath Good Food Award. Each server presents them to every guest at the end of their meal. On the cards there are all the categories that you can nominate a restaurant for, you will find Best Indian, Best French, Best Italian... and in the back of Bath Good Food Award nomination card is written "Your details will automatically be entered into a draw to win yourself and a friend a night out in Bath". All this is written in English and is offered to you by the Bath Good Food Award and not by us. You are not up for a free meal at Sotto Sotto. With regard to the server making some marks on the nomination cards, he may have entered the Italian category for you in good faith (as that is the category for our restaurant) but may have also made a mistake with other categories, but I cannot confirm it until I speak with him on Tuesday. In any case, we apologize for this tactlessness. Only completed cards are entered, and whether you complete it or not is up to you. Nobody forced you to fill in the card, and since you filled it with all of your details I assume that you must have read it, so why did you fill in the card if you didn't agree with it? Thank you for your feedback. We will continue striving to provide excellent guest service, so if you are not keen on our service and food I suggest you to stick with your favorite restaurants before choosing to book with us again just to avoid further disappointment. In the meantime here at Sotto Sotto we will keep doing what we love; keep serving our honest guests for whom we are very grateful.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Sotto Sotto - The Perfect Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I couldn't recommend this restaurant more highly. Superb service - on a Saturday night they were fully booked but managed to squeeze us in due to a cancellation. It was our first trip to Bath and certainly won't be the last!

It was surprisingly inexpensive given the fantastic quality and amount of food - the bill was only £35 and we had a starter to share, two mains, a glass of lovely apple prosecco and soft drinks. The welcome was warm, the staff were friendly and highly efficient.

You can't afford to miss this Bath gem!