“A fabulous meal at MGJ” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 459 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Menu Gordon Jones is all about amazing food, with an element of surprise. All Chef's menus are seasonal, locally sourced and offer real value for money. To really tickle your taste buds try our dishes, all served by our friendly staff in a funky setting.
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“A fabulous meal at MGJ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I'm afraid I'm going to be boring and add another glowing review to MGJ. We went last night and had a great experience. I expect most people realise that there is no menu as such, so that each course, I think there was 7 or 8, is a surprise. (However I did receive a phone call at home before we went asking if any of the party had any special dietary requirements - a nice touch). Because of this I, and the other 3 people in our party, ended up eating dishes that we would never had tried. One of the highlights for me was the rabbit kidneys with chorizo on bruschetta - it was simply sublime; melt in the mouth stuff. The other highlight for me was the pigeon breast - it was beautifully cooked, just pink in the middle and so tender. The dessert, which was a plate with 5 or 6 different desserts on it, was another highlight.
I would also echo some of the earlier comments about the waiting staff; the young French lady who served us gave excellent descriptions of what we were eating but wasn't pompous about it in any way, and she had a lovely sense of humour. We were never rushed and the food arrived at exactly the right pace. The cost was £45 per head which for this quality of food is just right. The restaurant is small with 5 or 6 tables, but there were enough people there to make a good atmosphere. I was also amazed to see the chef, who I assume was Gordon Jones, doing the washing up! No Big Time Chef airs and graces there. Thoroughly recommended.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

One of the best restaurants I've eaten at (and I have been to lots of Michelin starred places). Everything was well cooked and looked great. Wine pairings were spot on and service was very warm, friendly and inviting. Top notch place, can't falt it.

UK
“Just perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Lunch at MGJ was brilliant and I loved being able to chat to Gordon while he painstakingly prepared each dish. We had the 5 course lunch with wine flight which I would recommend as it gives you the opportunity to try some very unusual wines. Each course was a work of art but more importantly each one tasted wonderful. The waiting staff are charming and the atmosphere genuinely unstuffy for a place serving such excellent food. Gordon is a star in the making - and he doesn't even swear in the kitchen! Catch him while you can - and Gordon please don't change!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Elegantly casual at the Moreish MGJ.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

On a recent trip to Bath I decided to try the much lauded MGJ. It was worth the visit.
I was a Solo diner on a midweek lunch time and I had one of the most memorable dining experiences I've had in a long while. Food highlights , for me , were the Turbot with haggis and the beautiful dessert which included a "to die for" chocolate cream and a take on an Indian styled frozen yoghurt ( amongst other elements)
The service was a joy with my Flight of Wine carefully and elegantly described at each course by the most eloquent front of house person. Although this place is a foodie type haven there are little quirks which actually made it for me....the kitchen is very open to the floor and at one stage I was conversing ,from my table,with the chef about the cooking. I imagine if I were in a top London eaterie I would be " financially fleeced" for having the ChefsTable! The floor staff wore jeans,the decor was eclectic and was that actually Kings of Leon I listened to through course 4?? The star of the show undoubtedly though was what was on the plate. I say fair play to Mr Gordon Jones.

Wiltshire
“Six Stars!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I reviewed Menu Gordon Jones last April and gave it five stars (like most people), well, I was lucky enough to be taken there again for my birthday and it was better, so what do award it now? Mr Jones is a truly talented chef; having no menu and cooking whatever sounds good that day is very brave, but it works. His creativity and skill are amazing, every course worked superbly and together they formed a meal that I cannot criticise in way - tastes, quantities, presentation, service, all perfect . I love the informality and conviviality, getting a table here is a real privilege - and that is not something I would say about any other restaurant I have visited.

• Visited January 2013