“One of my favourite cafes in Bath” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English, Vegetarian, International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Bath, United Kingdom
“One of my favourite cafes in Bath”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Positives: I adore Coral Quay Cafe and visit on a pretty regular basis. I’m very grateful that they serve decaf tea with the labelled teabag (very important for me as I am allergic to caffeine). The cakes and toasties are very tasty and I love the décor of the place. It’s a very relaxing environment. The staff are friendly and the fair-trade/organic food is a big plus.

Negatives: Food can sometimes take a little while to arrive. The waitresses are not always very knowledgeable about the food and drinks on the menu.

Visited November 2012

Uckfield, United Kingdom
“Hidden treasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

we dropped into this cafe on a recent visit to Bath. It is tucked away in a side street and is wonderfully individual being located in a shop brimmed full of art and jewelry. We enjoyed an excellent cappucino and cake although noticed they also served a range of tasty looking lunch options. The service was charming and would be my hot tip for anyone wanting to escape the dullness of a chain coffee shop.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Ok atmosphere but terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

The cafe has a lovely warm feeling to it and is pleasantly decorated. From ordering the food it took 40 minutes for the soup to be served and it was not particularly busy. The soup was not very warm and tasted like it was a Covant Garden soup. I had an African Butterfly Toastie which was initially nice tasting until I found two strands of hair inside - not very appetising!! When I complained I only got an apology and it was a further 10 minutes before the same person offered a 'free' hot drink, which I refused. I noted that none of the staff had their hair covered especially when handling food. I don't think I will be returning to this cafe again. I have hygiene concerns as the work area is very small and the staff seem to be working on top of each other I am surprised they have a 5 star food hygiene rating.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Would never come here again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

While wandering around thought to try this quaint little Cafe. Living near to Bath I am always keen to try places I haven't frequented before. On arrival I was greeted by a young girl who had what I can only describe as a rats nest on her head... there is a reason for me saying this so please read on!! None of the staff who are preparing food had gloves on and no staff had their hair tied back - as they should do as preparing food for members of the public. The space they had to work in was very small and they were almost on top of each other. We had to wait almost half an hour for our coffees (one of which arrived likewarm) and a further 10 minutes for our soup which tasted like Covent Garden soup and not homemade - which I would expect for what I was paying. I should add that even though it was 1pm the cafe was quiet there was no rush on as you might expect at this time. Then came the famous toasties - I was by now really looking forward to mine and I have to say they were nice! Until my friend found a hair in hers.... hence my comments above. The waitress just said "oh sorry for that" and didn't offer any other explanation. She did come back to our table a couple of minutes later to offer a free drink which we choae not to accept. Unfortunately you are asked to pay BEFORE you eat which is something I also don't agree with. I am very shocked this cafe has a 5 star food rating and I will be ensuring Environmental Health are informed as, in my day job, this is something I do and have several concerns about the hygiene arrangements of this establishment.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Martin K, Owner at Coral Quay Cafe, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We are very disappointed to receive this review and the one subsequent to this which I understand were members of the same party. The cafe was opened 2 years ago as a diversification to the Fairtrade gift shop which is situated on the ground floor of the building. This is the only complaint we have ever had since starting the cafe regarding hygiene. We have been the proud holders of a 5 star hygiene rating since the start. The feedback we have had via tripadvisor and our own feedback system has been overwhelmingly positive and this has resulted in a rapid growth in customers particularly over the past 12 months. This does mean that the cafe can get very busy at times particularly on Saturdays and does lead to problems with serving times which we are addressing. Other comments and suggestions that customers have made are always acted upon if practical.
I have spoken to the members of staff concerned regarding your visit which took place on Saturday 27th Oct. This was a very busy day. The member of staff you spoke was in fact the manager and she explained to me that she did offer our apologies for the fact that there was one small hair on the side of your plate. We are truly sorry about this. She also noted that as the toastie had been consumed, we offered you a free drink rather than replacement of the meal at the time which you turned down. We are addressing our procedures to ensure this doesn't happen again. We would like to to return to the cafe and therefore would like to offer you and your friend a complimentary meal for two as compensation. If you either ring me on 07766 426793 or e-mail mjk@coralquay.co.uk we will send you a voucher.
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
“An amazing find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

There we were wondering the alleys of Bath looking for something other than the quaint tea shops or the coffee chains & saw a sign for this place. Took a while to realise what door to go in and then up the stairs. Very friendly lovely sandwiches and great variety of teas. What a find, a gem.

• Visited September 2012