“theatre meal” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“theatre meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We were disappointed with the service at this restaurant. I had explained we were going to the theatre straight from the meal. Although our first course arrived promptly, there was no sign of the main course. This entailed me finding the waiter and reiterating the problem. We did not get our meal until 7.15 and the play started at 7.45. I was not amused at having to eat quickly and not savour the food, which was well prepared. I was treating my mother so I had to rush her as well. All most unsatisfactory. We had no time for what I was hoping was a a leisurely meal. I was told there were problems with the chef, which should be resolved shortly when their new on arrived. A good restaurant should manage to adjust and deal with this sort of porblem

Visited April 2013

Bristol
“Excellent choice, quality and service for pre-theatre dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Tucked underneath the Theatre Royal in Bath, the Vaults is ideal for pre-performance dining. Obviously they are used to quick service. Our starter of prawns was filling and delicious, the seabass main a bit less so, but nonetheless very good. Wines are a reasonable price and if you don't finish the bottle over dinner, you can have it taken to the bar nearest your seat in the theatre for further consumption during the interval (or pour it into plastic glasses and take it in with you). Service is prompt and friendly, the atmosphere both buzzy and intimate.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I used to go to the Vaults when I was younger and initially decided to go to be nosy. I have to say, it's amazing in there! I had lunch then booked a table for the following evening.The decor is fun and bright and the staff friendly, well turned out, happy and very attentive. The food is sensational. Very simple but very effective. The evening food is served on rustic boards with a tapas feel. A relaxed atmosphere with no pretentious nonsense. I highly recommend visiting this restaurant, you won't be dissapointed :)

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“So disappointing..............”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Thought it would make sense to have an early pre-performance dinner at Vaults before walking upstairs to the theatre. Starter of fresh water prawns was too cold, no taste to the prawns. Their 'infamous' fish and chips was chosen as a main. Obviously pre-cooked; hard thick dark brown batter sticking to grey cod loin. Minted peas weren't - minted. Triple baked chips were dry and lacking flavour. Tartar sauce out of a jar. Wonder whether any real cooking takes place here at all, got the impression that limited menu slides out of a box around the back somewhere. Didn't bother with dessert, thinking a tub of Lovington's ice cream in the theatre a better value option. Young waitress was polite, but the fellah who we took to be running the place showed no real interest in either serving us drinks at the bar and not even a raised eyebrow in recognition of our parting with £80 for a very poor meal as the two of us left.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Great place for locals.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Great place. Everybody knows everybody. Come with locals and you are more than welcome

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere