“Short break in Bath” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 32 Hotels in Bath
Shropshire
“Short break in Bath”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2007

My wife and I have just spent a weekend break in Bath, staying at the Redcar Hotel. Having read trip advisor we were somewhat concerned but decided to proceed, primarily as there seemed to be a shortage of accommodation at a realistic price. I am glad we did. It's true to say that the hotel is in need of some TLC as it is looking tired and worn. However, this is soon overtaken by the friendliness and politeness of the staff. The public areas are comfortable although the mismatched furniture would be better if it was all period. The breakfast was a surprise as I understood it to be Continental only when in reality there was also full English.
The position of being only 2 minutes from Pultney Bridge and a further 5 minutes from the Abbey is superb - a real selling point. And, although being in the centre of a city, it was very quiet throughout the night even though our room was at the front of the hotel on the ground floor.
At a cost of £72.00 per night B&B, I have no complaints. If the hotel was given a complete overhaul, I suggest the price would double!
I recommend you give the Redcar Hotel a try because it has received some mixed/bad reviews, which from my experience is unfair.
Finally, if you do go be sure not to miss the Walking Tour of Bath by the Mayor's Corps of Honorary Guides - a real treat.

• Liked — Friendliness of staff, location, value for money
  • Disliked — Can be difficult parking as space is limited
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

A friend and I booked two single rooms at £60 each for an overnight stay last weekend and checked in with trepidation when we read several of the reviews recently posted. Upon arrival we were asked to pay up front which is in itself unusual although upon reaching our rooms, we could see why.

Our fears were confirmed as soon as we opened the doors to our respective rooms....my room could have doubled up as a sauna it was so ridiculously hot even though the windows were open and a fan was on. I can only imagine it was due to the fact that I was in the basement and next to some sort of boiler? My friends room was even more entertaining as you could barely swing a sock in it. There wasn't even room for a wardrobe, simply a dodgy old rail on which to hang clothes. The door of my wardrobe was falling off and the air con/heater didn't work. I was told at Reception that the hotel was fully booked so there was no chance of me being moved. In fairness, the staff were lovely but the entire hotel reminded us of Fawlty Towers. It is stuck in a time warp and is in desperate need of updating as well getting rid of the 100's of dusty dried flower arrangements that adorn every nook and cranny.

On the positive side, the hotel was a 2 minute walk from the city centre, the staff were friendly and the breakfast was OK. I would however, deter anyone from staying here as it certainly isn't worth the money and should never be allowed to charge £60 for a small, stuffy, boiling hot, grubby, dated and worn single room.

AVOID!!!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — My room!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

(I wrote a long review, only to have it lost in cyberspace.....hope this one will get onto the webpage OK!)

I had booked two nights in a twin-bedded room for my son and myself, about two months in advance with a hotel bookings website, in what looked like one of the most reasonable hotels in central Bath. We stayed the Thursday and Friday nights before Easter for £149, and this preset price was honoured, with no hidden extras, though we were asked to pay on arrival.

The "trip" part happened on the way up to our attic room, not on one of the several flights of stairs (no warning about this on the booking website, so not good for anyone with a disability) - but on an unmarked single step just behind a firedoor in a carpeted corridor. Thankfully I didn't hurt myself too badly - but a less merciful traveller might well have sued, rather than just asking the pleasant and apologetic staff to do something about the hazard!

The room (twin-bedded, as requested) was pleasant, but very basic, with very little storage space. The ancient sash window was another possible hazard, dangerous to open and only fixed open by means of a flimsy bolt! The radiator was OK and possible to turn on or off. The hospitality tray was adequate, as was the TV. The bathroom was fine, though only soap and loo rolls were provided.

The self-service breakfast was a bit "naff" for those with refined tastes, maybe, but again more than adequate for someone in a hurry who wanted to fill up at the start of a busy day. There is no lunch or evening meal, but a pleasant bar and lounge.

Indeed, I wonder if the Redcar would not be better termed a B&B or Guest House, but despite its few shortcomings, it was fine for what my son and I needed - good basic central accommodation for an overnight stay between conference sessions at the nearby wonderful Bath City Church!

• Liked — Central location, free breakfast
  • Disliked — Some safety hazards, many stairs, needs some repairs
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2007

On arrival we went round the back to the 'car park' which only accomodated a few cars in and was already full by beginning of check in. we went in to the hotel to find out about alternative parking and was told we would have to pay the 65p an hour on the road parking.

The hotel itself is very dated and had to climb three lots of stairs to get to room, as no lifts. the room was reasonable but not comfy. It got very hot at night even with radiator turned off and window open and this was march!

Breakfast next moring was awful., We came down at 9.00- breakfast served till 10.00 and all the serving trays were more or less empty, with no sign of being filled. There were no clean tables, and noone around to help. after clearing a table a member of staff appeared and gave us cutlery but still not topped up food.

None seem to speak much english either. The hotel was right near the centre and location was great for shops and sites. Reception were helpful, but overall hotel terrible.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2007

Needed a cheap place to stay in Bath , this hotel was by far the cheapest. Read reviews and was a little wary about what I had booked. When we arrived the staff were extremely helpful ( no parking but good solution suggested).

The room was on the top floor, a bit of a trek, but good exersize!!! It was a small room however had everything we needed and it was comfortable.

I would not say it was the best hotel I have ever stayed in but for the money it could not be faulted!

Bar open when needed and a nice breakfast (buffet) provided in the morning.

I would recommend and would return.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — no lift
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2007

By any standards, this is a very poor hotel. The hotel's webpage displays an elegant crescent and describes the hotel's history, including its links with singers Engelbert Humperdink and Tom Jones who, allegedly, developed the hotel.

It was therefore a great disappointment to see the dowdy exterior, the lank net curtains and the poor decorative order of the public areas.
Our room was so small that we had to negotiate the gap between the bed and wall sideways, in order to gain access. The furniture was dark, dated and worn, and the bedspread had a couple of suspicious stains in its centre.

The bathroom was so small, that you could not bend over to wash your face at the basin, or stand sideways in front it. The two tiles behind the wash basin had been plastered in with vast amounts of mastic which looked like something a child might have achieved and this was the general standard of all tiling in the bathroom. The tap was loose and wobbly and the hot water came out in fits and starts, spraying your midriff, as you had nowhere to escape, unless you opened the door and stood in the bedroom.

The bed was over soft and I ended up with 14 unidentified bites on my upper torso - surely not bedbugs? I thought those days were long gone.
The 'Full English' breakfast was served until 10 am but at 9.30 there was no warm food left, apart from 3 shrivelled sausages. It took another 20 minutes for some bacon and eggs to appear, and another request for toast, before any was served.

The only plus is that the reception staff were cheerful and helpful.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — dirty and shabby
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
Swansea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2007

Prior the attending the hotel, I reviewed the comments made in this website, I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel, the location was A1 just a short walk from the centre of town, the staff were friendly and as helpful as they could be (a credit to the hotel), the rooms were clean but well used, showing some signs of wear and tare, the bathroom was clean but in need of some attention, the light in the bathroom had recently been changed and was in poor state of repair with live wires clearly visible but not accessible or of any danger, the bar closed early….
I would rate the hotel
Value 8/10
Position 9/10
Staff 7/10
Breakfast 7/10
Rooms 7/10
Bathroom 5/10

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — watch for clampers at the rear car park
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Redcar Hotel? Share your experiences!