“Awful Hotel good location” 1 of 5 stars

Redcar Hotel
27-29 Henrietta Street, Bath BA2 6LR, England   |
Ranked #31 of 32 Hotels in Bath
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Awful Hotel good location”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We travelled to Bath for a wedding and booked 5 rooms were booked for us at the Redcar Hotel, unfortunately the person who booked them didn't check the reviews and relied upon the hotels own description. We arrived at 13:15 to be told our rooms wouldn't be ready till 14:00, when I enquired if even one of rooms was available to put our cases in I was told no as they only had one housekeeper on duty and she still needed to clean the rooms! Returning at 14:00 all five rooms were ready - amazing! The hotel exterior looked a little faded but it is part of a beautiful Georgian Terrace. The hotel lobby was small, dark and dingy with a smell of body odour courtesy of the receptionist. There is no lift so we walked to the second and third floors up some very uneven stairs. The floors on each landing were all uneven and squeaked - charming you may think - no dangerous, as the carpets were ill fitting and loose. The rooms were small but for £70 I expected that what I didn't expect was the dark purple paintwork in every room - very oppressive. The shower in our room was adequate, but the one in my daughters room didn't work at all and my sons was a pitiful trickle. The bathroom floors were tiled - the tiles were grubby and in three of the rooms they were cracked. The bedding was clean but all the paintwork was dirty - lots of finger marks. The TV's in the rooms were small but this was ok - the picture wasn't clear. Our room was on the back overlooking the carpark, the rooms on the front do have a nice outlook. The carpark is tiny and it is impossible to get out without help from the staff. Our daughters room was above the bar and the noise made it impossible for her to sleep untill the early hours. My father had a single room which was tiny no room between the bed and the wardrobe - you couldn't have swung a flea let alone a cat. We didn't have breakfast - we couldn't have eaten with the smell - this time a different receptionist but the same personal hygiene issue!. The one good thing about the hotel is the location - very central, but personally if the Redcar Hotel was the only one available - I'd stay at home!

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Worcester Park
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We went to Bath to attend a wedding and looked for a hotel for one nights stay. We were not too worried about a top draw experience but wanted clean and respectable. What we received was beyond belief. We booked two rooms for two couples. It is no longer a surprise that we were asked to pay at check in rather than check out because if we had seen the rooms at that point we certainly would not have handed over our debit card. Both rooms were appalling with old, stained, substandard beds one with a mattress so thin that the springs were coming through to the surface. The decoration was astonishing with scarred and badly painted walls throughout (probably last decorated in the eighties), with damp smelly corridors, bathrooms without working extractor fans, stained towels, curtains hanging off poles and that is assuming there were any curtains at all. The heavily patterned carpets provided no hygiene confidence what-so-ever. Ahead of our booking we had asked for early access to our rooms to change for said wedding. This was agreed but not actually available upon arrival. Once we waited for the receptionist to finish arguing with a customer over the phone, we were shown into the dinning room to change. We were told the rooms weren't ready but I think perhaps this was a revenue protection exercise again had we seen the rooms we would have gone elsewhere. We complained at this point but the response was something out of faulty towers with the receptionist blaming the lack of English staff, saying he could only get East Europeans. What that had to do with anything, goodness only knows. Please do not get caught like we did. Avoid avoid avoid. I must stress this is the first ever review I have written and I stay in hotels at least four times a month. I just want to protect the public.

Room Tip: Please, just avoid the whole hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here for first trip to Bath. Was lovely to stay in a historical looking street and hotel. Rooms were a great size but extremely basic and in need of re-decorating. Staff werent very helpful and a little slow. Bed and Breakfast was advertised when I booked the rooms online but when I arrived and paid the reciept said that it wasnt included and would need to be purchased separately. Hours for breakfast were very short and early too. I travelled by car and had trouble parking. There is a tiny car park at rear of hotel for 2 cars max. There is no parking around except residential or if you want to pay a fortune! I ended up parking in the Bath Spa train station which ended up being quite reasonable. Its closish but not fun when you have to carry luggage. The location of the hotel is great as its in the middle of everything. Dont worry either as you dont get any noise at night from people out at night. However if you plan on having a night out and come back late, make sure you dont make any noise on your return to the hotel...the resident neighbours will shout out their windows at you. I know its residential but your in the middle of a tourist city and living next to a hotel, what do you expect! Do not appreciate being yelled at for having fun on my holiday. For that reason, on second thoughts, maybe its not a great location. The 3 stars were originally for the area of the hotel, but remembering my trip, I seem to be persuading myself otherwise. The price (although just for bed - no breakfast!) is the going rate for Bath.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Harlow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I was horrified when I arrived at the hotel. Having recently been to bath earlier in the month I was looking forward to my return. However it was spoiled by the experience of this dreadful accommodation. I immediately felt I was in a very old charity shop that has the smell of old musty damp secondhand clothes. The carpets were from the 70s loose and dirty paint and wallpaper were peeling and the doorframes and wood work was filthy. The room was grim carpet frayed and dirty curtains hanging off the rails . It felt like a DHSS hostel. The website states excellent breakfast. There was none I was appalled I had paid £80 per night for this squalor and no breakfast but maybe I had been saved!!! Especially when i asked for a larger shandy and the wine bottle started to be poured? When I repeated I wanted a shandy the eastern european 'barmaid' said 'yes half wine and lemonade .'... I explained that was a spritzer . She then just left the bar as if I was in the wrong. I cannot emphasise enough how awful this place is. It was a shame my return to beautiful bath was so spoiled. Please please do not go and maybe with la k of business somebody could overhaul what could be given location and style of house a lovely accommodation. Hotel inspector would probably die of fright !!!!!

Room Tip: Do not book!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Redruth, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel should be closed down...it's completely below standard for even the lowest star rated hotel, it's filthy, shabby and very smelly!... still waiting to hear back from their supposedly "Head Office" as we were unable to even stay there ... have been promised a call today... but as of yet.. nothing! We mentioned to Reception that our room was filthy.. he replied it is not filthy but is SHABBY!! Slight understatement... the photos are completely out of date for this place on their webpage... it really is totally below the standard of any hotel I've EVER seen and the Environmental Agency ought to be called in!! I wish I'd read the reviews. Really, really disappointed.

Room Tip: Dont stay here!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is the worst place I have stayed. It's not a hotel it's like a back packers hostel. Windows don't work. Needs a good clean and paint job.breakfast well ? Cheese on same plate as meat ( which I am allergic to) sitting out from 8.00 till 10.00 no cover no chill plate. Cereal stale bread old coffee terrible. Please do not stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Burlington, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Knew the hotel would not be great, just a place to sleep for one night. Upon entering it had a very old feel, great, just what I was expecting. Once you put your first foot on the staircase, view instantly changed. DIRTY, DIRTY, DELAPITATED! Such a shame for the beautiful location and charming buildings surrounding. The doors to our floor were dirty enough did not want to touch them. Room itself was dirty, smelly, and falling apart. Bathroom gross, sink leaked onto carpet and floor. Reception told us the maintenance person was in Brighton, he had mopped up with a towel when we were out. The only POSITIVE was the polite, freindly, and helpful employee at the front desk.
Am sure at one time this hotel was glorious, with no redocoration and restoration, and at least a good clean, I can not imagine that anyone would wish to return.

Room Tip: No tip, other than think again
Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Redcar Hotel? Share your experiences!