“Lovely place for lunch or tea ...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bakeries, European
Dining options: Dessert, Breakfast
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
Berkshires
“Lovely place for lunch or tea ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

We visited Patisserie Valerie by accident .. We arrived in Bath hungry for lunch .. We saw an impressive display of cakes and pastries in their window .. A quick glance at the menu and we decided we would give it a try and to be honest too hungry to wait any longer for lunch .. I ordered a grilled chicken ceaser salad and my husband ordered the croque Monsieur ... They were both very good ... We were wanting to start exploring so we did not order dessert which means i can't speak to their desserts .. I will say they looked certainly wonderful ! Service was very good .. Staff very pleasant .. This was our first visit to Bath but it will not be our last .. I would not hesitate to stop here again .. !

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, Texas
“Don't order the Cake or SHAKES”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Shame really, because the atmosphere is nice, comfortable and quaint, but their idea of what makes a tasty cake leaves much to be desired. they could take some lessons from the French, or even the Americans. Their Malts (really just SHAKES) have a sickening taste. I drank about two sips and told them it was awful. They still charged me. Not sure why their Shakes taste so bad, unless it was sour milk or bad ice cream. It tasted like medicine mixed with chalk. I wouldn't recommend this place even for a cup of coffee. There are too many other great places in Bath to stop. Don't waste your time, or your money here.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Excellent franzipan tart”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stopped by just for coffee, which was very good, and were tempted by the cakes. I had the apricot franzipan tart which was excellent. It was moist and fresh and the filling tasted of almonds just as it should do. The ice creams looked good but we didn't have enough appetite at the time to try them. Service was a bit slow. We tried to order at the counter and were told to sit at a table and someone would take our order. We then waited ten minutes for the same waitress to come to our table notwithstanding she wasn't otherwise occupied.

Worth visiting just for the tarts.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Not Great.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I have been to this chain before but the one in Bath, is more expensive and the cakes we had were actually stale. The coffees were not bad but the price does not justify the products or service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Absolutely my fave place for afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

hmmm I think I have written a review for PV in Bath....anyway the place is gorgeous, especially if you can get a sofa! The hot chocolate is very warming and rich, but maybe wouldn't go with cakes (it can get a little too rich but goes perfectly wells with sandwiches- savoury food). I really like the Mille Feuille there, so nice!! but beware the topping is quite sweet. Also try the scones there, best scones I have ever had!

Visited February 2012