“Fun and Tasty” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 69 Attractions in Bath
Type: History Museums, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of the "Sally Lunn Bun" is the oldest house in Bath, which features a kitchen museum reflecting Roman, Saxon and medieval heritage.
Hove, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Fun and Tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Brilliant and historic place to visit. Welsh Rarebit and Ginger buttered Sally Lunns Buns were great and the olde style tea rooms were a great way to start a day

Visited February 2013

Wiltshire, United Kingdom
“overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I took my niece who was visiting there and she found the history of Sally Lunn's interesting. We had a light lunch there which was ok but nothing special and pricey for what it was. The tables were very close together and there was a "squashed" feeling. However, we did go just after Christmas and a lot of restaurants were closed, so maybe that's why Sally Lunn's was so crowded.I felt it trades primarily on its history rather than on the quality of its food and service. I wouldn't choose to go there unless it was with a visitor who was interested in the historical side .

Visited December 2012
Bathbunman, Owner at Sally Lunn's Museum, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Christina, Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. Sally Lunn's is a unique and delightful old house that makes our lives difficult when trying to serve the many guests who come here. Our dining rooms are not vast and opulent but cosy and intimate - but we have listened to feedback and have changed table layout to try and reduce the 'cosyness' and increase space. We have also made a number of menu changes since your visit and I hope you will reviist and allow us to impress you with them. Thanks again Jonathan
London
10 attraction reviews
“Nice little museum, free entry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Tiny (just the original kitchen) but interesting. You view the old kicthen from inside the shop, below the restaurant rooms.

Visited February 2013
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Very cute little place, and good food and tea.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited here on a Saturday in January, and we were very impressed with the service and food. Whilst there, we each had a bun (which was really very good, I wish I got some to take away!), and a jacket potato with a pot of tea each.
The china we were given for our tea etc. was very cute - this attraction is really quite a feminine one, however my 21-year old boyfriend was a little embarrassed at first to be there he soon warmed to it, and he found his love for tea! So if you want to go with your bloke and he feels a bit funny about it looking at the photos, tell him someone has had first hand experience with a stubborn one and he enjoyed it!

If you do get food other than the bun, I'd recommend you don't get the tuna topping on the jacket potato. Usually you'd expect a sort of tuna mayonnaise thing going on, however what they provide - funnily - smells and tastes like fish, but not in a good way. Not very pleasant. The potatoes we got were also a little under done, however that may have just been whilst we were there.

The service was cute; I'd recommend sitting downstairs if you want better service, though, as the managers are generally downstairs and so upstairs you have moody late teenage girls dressed in maid outfits who aren't really being monitored, but they were okay. If service is different when you go or you don't mind having not fantastic service, upstairs is the best place to sit because of the decorations around the room. Very cute.

We didn't go downstairs to the shop, so I can't comment on how that was.

Personally I feel the tea was the best part of the meal, along with the bun. There were little sugar cubes in the middle of the table and really cute china provided, and the tea was with loose leaves and with a little strainer which was adorable. I'd recommend the jasmine tea!

Overall a good attraction, and the price was also reasonable.

Visited January 2013
Cardiff
“Nice little museum, great tea and Bath buns”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Loved the the bath buns in the tea rooms. unusual toppings - all we chose were delicious. Lovely pot of tea with real tea leaves. Wet miserable Monday morning travelling back to Wales from week at Center Parcs, and were made very welcome in tiny tea rooms despite grandson fast asleep in pram.

Visited January 2013