“You will be impressed” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Bath
Vancouver
“You will be impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were a family of four tired travellers. Apsley House accomodated us very well. The rooms was large, clean and very comfortable. The view behind the house is green rolling hills. Very good breakfast. Kind, attentive hosts. It was the best hotel of our entire vacation. I want to go back and stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic stay. Great breakfasts, well appointed bedroom with ensuite and Molton Brown full size toiletries. My pet hate is the single use size in most hotels. Close to Park and ride to get into Bath itself.
Most enjoyable short break

• Stayed January 2013
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Booked this through Laterooms as I needed somewhere to stay last minute and this seemed the best deal: a good mixture of comfort and affordability.

Easy to miss, you must pay careful attention when driving as the sign is not large and the building could be any other house on a long street, though once you see it you'll notice it's not really just any house.

As it was the Duke of Wellington's house apparently, all the rooms are (it would seem) essentially the old rooms of the house. This meant that mine, the Wellesley room (no.12), was on the ground floor adjacent to the reception and the dining room / drawing room. This could of course have been a noisy problem, and certainly means there can't really be any discreet comings and goings, if that's important to you. As you'd expect in this kind of house, the ceilings are very high, which is great to look at, difficult to heat. My room had a single large radiator which was doing its best to keep the sub-zero temperatures at bay outside.

I should start, however, by saying that the welcome couldn't have been warmer, even if it veered ever so slightly towards over-familiarity. I have a feeling that the people who manage the hotel also own the hotel, and this can make a huge difference to how valued the customer really is (unless it's Fawlty Towers, clearly). Jumping forward to the next day and my departure, I wasn't sure if I could move my car from the car park after heavy snow, but was told I'd be more than welcome to leave the car parked for free if necessary, given that the hotel was unlikely to be full. Contrast with the Holiday Inn Express (q.v.) who charge £6 a night.

The room was comfortable, if somewhat in need of updating. If you like four-poster beds, you'll be delighted. I do think the bed is probably the most important part of a place you mainly go to sleep and this one was pretty good. I prefer a quilt to sheets, and there was one of those. The cotton bedlinen was of very good quality, very soft to the skin. Unfortunately, I forgot my feather pillow and was stuck with the hollowfibre ones that are as standard with most hotels nowadays.

The bathroom was small, but worked pretty fine, with a walk-in shower (no bath) which was fairly adjustable.

With regards to extra comforts, there was a television, which was on the small side and oddly high up the wall, with the free digital channels. There was tea and coffee, and a couple of biscuits, and two bottles of water. The view out the window was restricted somewhat by the kitchen wall (and potentially overlooked by passing staff, though there is a privacy screen).

The breakfast was included and was very good indeed - several cooked options and cereal/toast options (apparently, though, if you want croissants, you need to let them know in advance). And while I did not use it, the adjacent drawing room was inviting, with a fake fire and a grand piano. The bar (which closed at 10pm like the drawing room to give my room a little more peace) was an 'honesty' bar. The daily papers seemed to be available.

I am a stranger to Bath and have not visited many hotels. That this is the top ranked one is possibly surprising, but probably not undeserved. The service was genuinely five star. The hotel was of a very high standard, while at the same time being in need of some updating. And it's not exactly central (about 1.5 miles walk to the centre). If it's winning on TripAdvisor, I suspect it is because the owners and the management are working very hard indeed to be the best, and I wish them luck with that.

Room Tip: There's no lift, and many rooms are only accessible by stair. I would not recommend the Wellesle...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We should be staying at Apsley House this weekend as a present for my wife. Due to the snow we couldn't get there from where we live, particularly with my wife being pregnant and so being a bit more risk averse.

I rang today to expain our situation and the owners couldn't have been more understanding and accomodating. We very much hope to visit again in the future...

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SOUTHAMPTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This house was stylish Regency Period Hotel with stunning Features and artifacts which made for a wonderful stay in BATH .. Would recommend to any American's they would adore it and the ambience it provides.. Thus like Jayne Austen period would feel..

Room Tip: If you are looking for a Four Poster Bed Hotel and the style and ambience you have found it! Gorgeou...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Stanton In Peak
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Excellent in every way, from the location to the building to the welcome to the room to the amenities to the breakfast to the chill and relaxed feel. The managers were knowledgeable, and nothing was too much trouble.

The hotel is a little way out of town, which we liked, but not too far to walk or bus /taxi in and out.

Small improvement, especially as this place is not exactly cheap, would be bathrobes. But, hey, that's a quibble!

Room Tip: In summer, go for the garden suite.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I recently spent 4 nights at The Apsley House, during our first trip to Bath. After reading lots of reviews for properties prior to our trip, my goal in doing this review is to post useful, relevant info.

PROS:
Good location, but definitely a 30 minute or so walk to the city center. We took taxis every time we headed to the Abbey, Roman Baths, etc. Taxis were easy to catch and even though it’s slightly out of the way, I would not let location keep us from staying here again.

Safe street. We walked the area a good bit at all times of the day and evening and had no qualms about it. There are several pubs, shops and bakeries within walking distance. Our personal favorite pub was The Hop Pole, about 15 minutes away on foot

Easy in and out. The B&B provided us with a key to the very secure front door as well as a key to our room (Romantic Room). There are 2-3 average size steps in the entry way and one broad flight of stairs to our room on the second floor. Getting in and out of the room was extremely easy.

Great breakfast. The B&B dining room is on the 1st floor and overlooks the very pretty back yard. There are about 7-8 small tables with linen tablecloths, comfortably placed around the room. Each morning I was quickly greeted by one of the staff and asked if I wanted tea or coffee. It would then be quickly forthcoming. They had at least two breakfast mains to choose from each morning and my wife and I loved our breakfasts every morning. Additionally, there’s a small buffet with cereals, juices, milks and yogurts that were also available as soon as you walked into the dining room

Big, comfortable room. The Romantic Room is very comfortable with a large bed and several pieces of useful furniture – desk, armoire, chest of drawers, etc. There was plenty of room for us (two adults) to move around and despite having multiple pieces of luggage and staying for 4 nights, we were very contented. The room was extremely quiet and looks out over the back of the house. The bed was extremely comfortable and we slept wonderfully all 4 nights of our visit. Bathroom is large and has a large tub, shower, sink and toilet. It too, is large enough to move around comfortably. Both the room and bathroom were extremely clean.

Management was great. We really liked all the folks we came in contact with. All through the reservation process and then upon arrival and length of stay, they were very gracious. They were helpful and efficient at check in and check out. They were very efficient via email prior to arrival and were always quick to reply – always within 24 hours and usually less, depending on what time it was on our opposite sides of the Atlantic.

CONS:
None.
In conclusion…would we stay here again? ABSOLUTELY.

Room Tip: The Romantic Room was very quiet and is one of the closest rooms to the entry.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Apsley House Hotel? Share your experiences!