“In the heart of Bath” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 31 hotels in Bath
Birkdale
“In the heart of Bath”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This compact family run hotel was very well located. Only minutes from all of Bath's major attractions and shopping areas. The hotel staff were very welcoming. Breakfast was good and the bar stocked by favourite bottled beer. Our room was comfortable and quiet. This is a hotel that we would be very happy to visit again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and found the staff welcoming. I will be sure to pass your comments on to all staff concerned. I do hope you will visit us again in the future.

472 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We came here for a wedding weekend and had a lovely stay. The rooms are all quirky and different, but just one word of warning: some are quite low-ceilinged! We had a top floor room which my 6'6" boyfriend wouldn't have been able to stand up in but the receptionist kindly switched us to another room which had an inch or two of clearance. I didn't find the bed very comfortable (too soft and squishy!) but others might like it. Service was very good with receptionist also providing iron/ironing board on request and plenty of staff around to ask if you want a drink in the bar etc. Breakfast also decent. Location is great, just off a high street (although I guess this might make it a bit noisy if you were on a street front low floor level) and although the parking is off site, any parking at all is gratefully received in Bath.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
JulianStevie, Manager at Harington's Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for your very positive review. I am extremely glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and enjoyed our breakfast. I will be sure to pass you comments on to the staff.

I am happy to hear the staff were able to assist you in changing your room due to you partner being tall. The Standard rooms are at the top of the building where the ceiling height is not as high as in the rest of the Hotel. The rooms on the lower floors do have a higher than normal ceiling height. This is an original feature of a Georgian townhouse; due to the building being Grade 2 listed we are unable to make any alterations to the fabric of the building.

We do hope you will visit again in the future.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

A gem of a hotel. Lovely rooms and fabulous breakfast. Every member of staff was friendly and efficient nothing was too much trouble. I would definitely return. Only minor hassle is parking is off site but once you get your bearings it is only a 5 minute walk away

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 and it was great. Only downside if you are not an early riser the dust carts and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
sullyBath, Manager at Harington's Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am extremly glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel, and that you found all the staff welcoming.

I am very happy you enjoyed our freshly cooked Full English breakfast during your stay, i will be sure to pass on all you comments.

Leamington Spa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Firstly I want to get the negatives out the way:

1) The prime central location means the hotel has no car park. It's not too far a walk, and they do have parking permits, but we did it in the rain so it wasn't great BUT you are informed of this and I felt it was a small price to pay to stay in such a great hotel.

2) The view from our room was pants, the back of buildings and a huge pile of rubbish - I closed the blinds and enjoyed the gorgeous decor of the room!

3) The (white) wine by the glass selection isn't good enough for the fab standards met by this hotel. I'm sure this could easily be resolved and I'm happy to offer my wine tasting services!

Now onto the (many, many) positives:

From the moment I booked this hotel the customer service I received was excellent. We decided to have a weekend in Bath for our wedding anniversary. After e-mailing Heather and asking for suggestions for nearby restaurants, she sent her recommendations which allowed for most dining tastes and she also offered to make any bookings we may require. As a result of this we booked Raphae'ls which turned out to be fantastic ( I have also reviewed this).

On arriving at the hotel our luggage was taken up to our room (you can't take this for granted when usually arriving at hotels). Once in our room, the beautiful decor struck me first followed by the fact that it was immaculately clean - and I am fussy. There were great tea/ coffee facilities with a few extra touches such as Caramel biccies and also lovely toiletries in the very nice bathroom.

The success of this hotel is not just down to the fact that it is cosmetically appealing but also down to the excellent staff. I can honestly say that all the staff we met during our stay were brilliant but I have to give a special mention to the lady who worked the evening of Friday 24th August and the following morning - if the management are reading this, she had light brown plaited hair. Her catchphrase seemed to be "that's no trouble" only she meant it, she was always so upbeat and despite trying to get on with her work, was happy to serve us at the bar. The Harrington should hire her out to other hotels, she could teach them a thing or two about customer service.

Breakfast - again, great service but also excellent, great quality food. Faultless.

All in all, not only will I be going back to this hotel, I am trying to find an excuse to do it as soon as possible. Check out the Gin and wine bar opposite, it's fab.

I have no hesitation in recommending this wonderful, customer focused hotel. I can confidentally say you will have a fantastic stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
sullyBath, Manager at Harington's Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us. I am very proud of all the staff and I am pleased that you found the service given of a high standard.

I am sorry that you feel your view was spoilt. I will personally speak with the building opposite to ask for the items to be removed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I am not picky about hotels but this onel is awful. When it says boutique do not think charm and good design, but small and uncomfortable in this case. Particular low points were: the heating not working at night (in Winter!), the unfriendly service (my sister joined us for Breakfast and we almost got thrown out of the hotel) and the price (I paid over £175per night). Keep your money in your pocket and avoid this place!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Your review is very disappointing to read, especially in the view of the fact we have had many positive reviews as well as good comments from many happy and returning customers who don’t post on trip advisor.

In response to some of the points raised in the review. Firstly we have our heating on throughout the winter. In the 8 years we have been in charge, I don't think we have ever received a complaint that the rooms were cold. Every room has a separate back up heater in the wardrobe should a guest want extra heat. In addition all our bathrooms have heated towel rails, and all of our sash windows have draught excluders installed.

Secondly regarding the unfriendly service at breakfast. We do advertise that people who are not staying in the hotel can come in and have breakfast with us. Why would we not want a guest to have someone join them for breakfast?

The reviewer states they stayed with us last winter. At the time nothing was brought to my attention, should it have I would have been able to rectify any problems they may have had.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We booked a 2 night stay here at the end of our honeymoon. We were upgraded on arrival and received champagne in our room which was furnished to a high standard. This is a lovely boutique hotel in the heart of Bath. It has been decorated to a high standard, we particularly liked the lounge area, and the staff are friendly and helpful. Being smaller seems to give a more personal service. The breakfasts were fantastic with the menu being a little bit more than the norm. Location is great with everything just a short walk away. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am extremly please you had an ejoyable stay with us during your honeymoon. I am glad you enjoyed the champagne and room upgrade given.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We were upgraded on arrival to the townhouse on trim street and had the whole house to ourselves. The location is excellent, right in the heart of Bath centre and walking distance to everything. The house was nicely decorated and the only minor complaint is the unbelievably loud seagulls squawking at night which prevented us from opening the windows. Very welcoming staff and a lovely fresh breakfast made for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us, and in Bath. I am sorry to hear you were disturbed by the seagulls. The council are implementing measures to reduce the numbers in the city centre.

I am please you enjoyed your stay in one of our apartment and do hope you will return in the future.

Manager

Been to Harington's Hotel? Share your experiences!