“Not for us...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pulteney House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bath
Pulteney House
You added Pulteney House to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   14 Pulteney Road, Bath BA2 4HA, England   |
Ranked #70 of 190 Bath B&B and Inns
Basingstoke
“Not for us...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Just came back from a weekend in Bath where my friend and I stayed at The Pulteney. We booked here as we could not find anything else available in our price range and thought it may be a bit nicer than another anonymous Travelodge. We were greeted promptly and in a friendly manner and the owner did at least show a bit of interest in why we were there, furnished us with a map and made some restaurant suggestions. She showed us to our room which was a little bit small but was clean and comfortable. We had a twin in the basement level. The furniture was a little dated but it was fine. I always appreciate being provided with a kettle as this is not standard outside of the UK I have found!

To echo the comments of other reveiwers: the 8-9 breakfast window is problematic and restricting. Of course the world and his wife are all there at the same time which leads to you having to wait quite a while. The food was average I suppose. It was edible but not outstanding. I tried some yoghurt only to see it was Happy Shopper brand (the 80s have called, they want their yoghurt back!) and was absolutely foul. My friend was also aghast at the fact that they only serve instant coffee! the tea she had was not good either. On the 2nd morning they did at least accomodate my request for a Rooibos tea as I provided my own tea bag. Also, the waitress offered me Quorn sausages without me asking which was very much appreciated. But on the downside we waited a very long time for breakfast and when I went to get juice there were no glasses. The waitress told me it was not possible to have a glass as they were all in the dishwasher? I was dumbfounded so did not make a fuss. But then I asked the first waitress (sausage) and she found me a glass. The best things about this establishment are the lovely garden, free parking and of course its' handy location.

Unfortunately we had an 'incident' which soured our stay somewhat: on arriving back on Saturday afternoon from our day out we found that their was a bunch of keys left in our room door. You can access the property very easily from the street and the door to the basement where we were staying was left open during the day. So we were quite concerned that someone could have let themselves in and robbed our room...or worse. My friend brought this to the attention of the owners' daughter and she in turn phoned her Father to tell him what had happened. Later he knocked on our door to apologise but it went no further than that. He did not take the complaint at all seriously and stood there chuckling saying his wife would be flogged for leaving them in the door and that this 'hardly ever happens' which would suggest it happens more than once? His off hand manner about the whole thing really angered us. Also, we had found a snitty note sellotaped to our door reminding us not to flush sanitary products down the toilet. We hadn't but then felt like naughty children getting the blame for something that wasn't our fault.

This was unfortunate as otherwise we would probably return here (we'd love another weekend in Bath) as it was clean and comfortable (albeit dated) and the location was great. But I am afraid the below pas breakfast served in it's tight time slot and the nonchalant attitude and attention given to our complaint soured the experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We were meeting up for a family reunion in Bath and this place worked very well. Very short walk into the centre of Bath and lots of parking. The rooms were fine and the breakfast was very good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

My friend and I stayed at Pulteney House in June 2011. Booked reasonably late and took the last 2 rooms available - one reasonably sized single room on the upper floor (private bathroom was bizarrely outside the room and down the hall) and one ensuite twin room for single occupancy downstairs. The twin room was a good size, clean and contained all the usual amenities. However we did wonder why it was only available for single occupancy, there was more than enough sufficient space to cover two people.

Location is excellent. 15 minute walk from Bath Spa train station and about 10 minutes to all the city centre attractions. The hotel is on a main road but this didn't cause any disturbances. We also couldn't hear the railway track from where our rooms were situated.

Service was second to none. The owners were friendly and made us feel very welcome from arrival to check out. We arrived before our rooms were ready but were able to store our luggage whilst we wandered the city. When we came back to check in, our bags were safely locked away in our rooms.

Breakfast was very good. They have a nice selection of hot and cold foods on offer, but I'd recommend going for the Full English! I'll echo what others have said in that it is disappointing that breakfast is only served between 8am-9am.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay for a weekend in Bath.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

It's in a very handy location, just a short walk into town. It's a lovely building with a beautiful outside area, it breaks my heart that the inside is decorated in such a dated manner (very 50's). The service when we got there was perfectly fine. My friend and I stayed overnight in the annex out the back, the size of the room was adequate, the beds very comfortable, however I think something is wrong with the ceiling, because all we could hear late into the evening was what sounded like elephants crashing around above us (the guests above us were just walking around but it just sounded like it was amplified). But I was tired from a day of walking around and the bed was super comfortable so I slept really well. Was woken up to the elephant crashing again though. Breakfast is served from 8-9 (seriously, you've got an hour and that's it), and given that everyone pours down for the one hour slot, we had to wait behind a few other couples to be seated. It would have been nice if the news had been on the TV while we waited for about 15 minutes (it was off, I don't feel comfortable fiddling with other people's TVs, so just had to stare at all the china. So much china). If they kept it open for 2 hours then people might space themselves out a bit more. They do a lovely full english but you can only have mushrooms OR beans OR tomatoes. I only like mushrooms, but still.

Look, it was the little things that got me, the one hour for breakfast, the dated interior, the restrictions on your full english sides, which kind of left me with the feeling that I was staying in my great aunt Mildred's house, and she wasn't that keen that I was there. Please don't misunderstand, the owners (I assume) on the front desk were perfectly nice when we arrived, the staff down in the breakfast room were perfectly nice, if not very busy, but I didn't feel entirely comfortable for the reasons I gave.

I would stay again if it was cheaper, or pay the same if the inside was updated. As I said, fab location, lovely garden.

Room Tip: Avoid Rm 18 if there are ppl above you
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

It was a bit of a walk from the train station with my over-shoulder bag, but not so daunting a walk that I would not recommend this B&B! The home was lovely, and easy to find. The staff was helpful, and gave us a key to enter the hotel should we return late at night.

I was in a small twin room, but it was well-appointed and cozy. Breakfast was quite good, and the staff had a great sense of humor. I just wished we had not been in such a rush each morning! We only had a day and a half in Bath, and it just wasn't enough.

I might very well return, and I would happily return to Pulteney House. Fantastic value!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Bath is much like Venice. If you are looking for reasonably priced accommodation, expect a tourist factory. That's pretty much what this hotel is. We were in the old stables and our room was very small and we could hear every step and almost every word the people upstairs said. We weren't too impressed when on our last day the new towels had brown spots and holes. On the upside, the breakfasts are generous and hearty and the managers and staff very friendly. The location is great, just a short walk into town.
The Internet connection is only available in the old house, in their computer room.

Room Tip: You may be better off in the old house
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Centerville, Ut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

I stayed at the Putleney House with my wife and in-laws in June 2011. We shared a four-bed "family" room (room #1) on the main floor for two nights. The staff were friendly and accommodating, the room was clean and graciously appointed, the beds comfortable, and the location excellent -- outside of the city center, but an easy ten-minute walk from the central rail station. THe free wifi is a tremendous plus and performed very well.

The only real flaws we experienced were fairly minor, but the one real annoyance is the breakfast schedule. Breakfast is only served between 8:00 and 9:00 am. For us, given our schedules, that meant that even though we had paid for breakfast with our room we couldn't really take advantage of it. (We grabbed some fruit and yogurt from the continental buffet on the first day, but couldn't even do that on the second day as we had to leave by 7:45 to make our coach back to London.) I've stayed in many British hotels, and normally breakfast is available between 7:00 and 10:00.

Still, I would strongly recommend the Pulteney House to any visitor to Bath -- advising only that you pay the room rate only and get breakfast elsewhere at your leisure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Pulteney House? Share your experiences!