“Delightful private hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
UK
“Delightful private hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We wanted a hotel close to the centre of Bath for a couple of days sightseeing. Villa Magdala turned out to be a few minutes walk from the centre yet was perfectly quiet with parking for about a dozen cars. Our room was spotless and well equipped with a nice personal feel to the décor. The staff were immensely helpful , providing lots of information and advice on the city . I don't think I've come across such a cheerful and friendly team in a hotel before.
The breakfast offering was superb with a wide range of cooked and buffet items that tempted me far beyond my normal morning intake !
Overall we had a great stay and the price was very reasonable.

Room Tip: For the disabled, the ground floor room by reception is most accessible after negotiating a few stee...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
TheVM, Owner at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Good of you to take the time to write such a lovely review. And thank you for mentioning Room 2! We've had a number of reviews about this room - some people hate it but many others recognise that it's perfect for those who don't want to manage the stairs or who are looking for really good value accommodation in the heart of Bath.

Please do come back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was everything I wanted from my weekend escape to Bath. The hotel was immaculately clean and the décor was exquisite without being over the top or pretentious. I took my partner for his birthday after he took me to Paris so expectations were high and the hotel excelled on every level, the staff were helpful but not intrusive and the complimentary bucks fizz served with breakfast was the cherry on a very beautiful and delicious cake! Can’t wait to go back!

Room Tip: The staff were even good enough to let us snoop around the hotel and look at other rooms. They'r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheVM, Owner at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Now if we'd known we were competing with a trip to Paris....................................!!!! So pleased you had a good weekend - we'd love to see you again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Great location a 5 minute walk from Bath town centre. Lovely big rooms, fantastic decor and small boutique hotel so nice homely feel. Great breakfast, reasonably priced and we would highly recommend it if you're visiting the delights of Bath.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheVM, Owner at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Lovely, thank you! Please come back again!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We arrived in Bath about eight p.m. and, using an old guidebook I had, found a recommendation for Villa Magdala. We were in love from the moment we stepped in. The open staircases wrap up the side of one wall, and it has the most wonderful, playful effect. The room (#1) was beautifully updated, with contemporary wallpaper, bedding, and bathroom. We had a full bath, and a stunning view of the back garden and surrounding homes. The staff were wonderful, and assisted us in finding another hotel in town as they were fully booked the next night. In future, we may return to Bath just to stay in this charming accommodation.

Room Tip: First floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TheVM, Manager at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review, the building is very beautiful and everything was fully refurbished about 18 months ago, I am glad you liek teh wallpaper, each room is individually designed. Do think of us next time you are in Bath, but remember we book up quickly.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Two nights here on a June weekend, 2013. Booked up directly with them was easy a straight forward enough. Sent in a couple of questions over email and answered quickly and professionally from the owner. Even requested a couple of dinner recommendations so I could pre book all of which were fabulous!

As mentioned booked directly with the hotel so was able to park up easily for free - I have a medium sized car and reversed it in easily enough between the clearly marked parking lines. Can't complain as parking in Bath is a premium!

Upon arrival was greeted and offered Tea / Coffees while checking in the main dinning area. Luggage was taken up stairs to our Best room. Room was lovely, modern yet with character, a view of the street but had no issues with noise from quiet road. Comfy Bed, LCD TV with freeview channels, ipod radio dock and make up table for my better half was able to do the make up on. Smallish bathroom but had everything you'd expect (we requested a room with a bath) clean and well kept. I did get fairly hot in there ... but nothing that could not be resolved by opening the door for a few moments!

Breakfast was fantastic, great choice of continental buffet and of course the cooked full english, all eggs you can think of and even some giant looking kippers. Topped off with shots of fruit smoothies and the Champagne Mimosa offered.

Check out was easy enough and they offered let us leave the car until we did a final lap around before setting off back along the M4 to london.

All in all nothing but great things to say ... I've recommended VM and will be heading back if I'm ever to head to Bath again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheVM, Owner at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Many thanks for your kind comments - especially about the car-park. It's just such a bonus to have one and most of our guests find it really easy to park in it with very little problems! Complaints about the car-park are the one thing that makes me rant! Especially when it means most guests can park for free both during their stay and after they have checked out ............what more can we do?

Please do come back again and thank you for recommending us!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We only had one night here as we were travelling on. We were very impressed with the whole experience. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The accommodation was very elegant and inviting. Lovely relaxed atmosphere in the breakfast dining room. Great location opposite park and within walking distance of city centre and attractions. Only downside was the additional cost of breakfast and parking. Would definitely use again and recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheVM, Owner at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive comments - we're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. For the benefit of other guests, we do offer a bed and breakfast rate if you book through our own web-site or call us directly - we sell a Room Only rate through third party agencies.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review!
Incline Village, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I spent 3 nights here in mid-May, 2013 as part of a small group tour with Midway Motors. The charming property is on a fairly quiet street and very conveniently situated to explore Bath. The staff are pleasant (although not effusive), and it would have been nice if, as I carried my bag up the 40 stairs (with landings), the staff member watching me from the opposite staircase had said
'May I help you?' rather than, 'Managing alright, are we?' Never mind; although I'm well into my 70s I'm not completely decrepit (yet). The room (Number 9) was very bright and clean with windows that opened and although they looked out over the parking lot, there were lots of trees and birds to be seen. Unfortunately, there was also what seemed to be a rooming house at the back where young people were having a party which went on into the small hours with lots of shrieking young women and guffawing men. (Later that night near midnight,I had two thoughtless women yakking away about their day right outside my door - not the hotel's fault though.) However, just having opening windows was a major plus. The room did get quite warm in the night despite the open windows but when I mentioned it, a fan was provided. Very prettily decorated in blue with beige gingham touches, the room was small but quite adequate. I would have liked to have had a desk of some sort as the two tiny tables on either side of the room offered no space to write at all. One had a very good tea/coffee tray with tasty cookies whilst the other provided a tiny lamp and bottled water. No space to even write a postcard let alone look at a computer. Having fresh milk available downstairs (in a thermosette) after 9 pm was a good idea and I took advantage of this amenity.

The bed was, I think, what is called queen size in the UK but a double in the US and was very comfortable and quite fine for one person or two small people. My tall husband probably would not have been so happy with it.

One thing I especially appreciated was the good lighting. (I get so incensed over the silly little low lights that many of these places put beside the bed. They obviously do not check out reading in bed themselves! I usually resort to placing the bed lamp on an upturned waste basket.) The reading lights here were top notch. A small complaint would be the brightness in the room afer turning off the lights. I turned down the clock/radio thing as far as I could but maybe I missed a turn off switch. In the end I just put a pillow over it. There was also quite a lot of light from a couple of other devices that I could not reach with the packet of post-its I carry for such occasions and the curtains were not as dark as one might prefer. Not a biggie though.

My husband, had he been travelling with me, would definitely have not been happy (he's 6' 1" and 180 lbs) with the bathroom. At 5' 6" and 148 lbs I only just fit on the toilet with the paper roll touching my side. The shower is miniscule and one has to 'get out to turn around' as the saying goes. Not literally, but close. Washing my hair meant much bashing of elbows! After showering, I had to go into the bedroom to dry off. So, the bathroom is tiny but clean and fresh - I've actually had larger bathrooms on trains but not as attractive! There was plenty of hot water and good shower pressure.

The breakfast was very good. I'm not into having a full English breakfast very often so I availed myself of the plentiful fresh (yes, really) fruit and the selection of granolas, mueslis etc. and yogurt. I did have a poached egg on toast one morning and it was just fine The big breakfasts that my companions (oops, almost said 'fellow travellers') ordered looked delicious and they proclaimed them 'superb'.

I really cannot comment value for money as the tariff was part of our tour which included the breakfast. I believe there is free parking if one books directly with the hotel. There didn't seem to be many spaces and they were rather tight, but I've read that they can arrange parking on the street.

I would recommend Villa Magdala to others visiting Bath but suggest they check out other reviews too. I don't expect to visit Bath again - too many places still to see and time is running out, but I enjoyed my short stay in this lovely historic town. Tip - take the hop on hop off bus and just stay on it for a good overview and great discourse about the geography and history of the city.

Room Tip: Number 9 had a very tiny bathroom. Opening windows a plus. Good for one person.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
TheVM, Owner at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for all your positive comments. Your room was booked for you by Midway Motors as part of a group of six guests in four rooms. You were allocated a smaller room by them as you were staying alone - more expensive rooms are much larger with large bathrooms, although your room represents excellent value for money for a hotel so close to the city centre. Choosing to have a larger room may have been offered to you by Midway Motors but I guess this would have increased the total price you paid for your motoring tour with them.

The bed is recognised in the UK as king-size (5ft wide). I'm glad you found it comfortable. For your infomation the i-home, by your bedside, does dim right down - sorry you missed the dimmer button. You should have mentioned it to one of the staff who would have been happy to show you.

As for your luggage - most of your party had their luggage taken up to their rooms for them, but with only two staff on duty, when you all arrived together, and six lots of luggage to carry up , it does take a short time to complete this task - you were just too quick for us!

Once again, even though you did not have a car, you mention the car-park - I get so frustrated that the absolute bonus of having a car-park in the heart of the city, when most establishments have no parking whatsoever, is criticised for being small. We can easily park 16 vehicles, each in their own well-defined space and with access for all to move in or out - what more is a car-park supposed to do? Sorry - a rant! But surely no-one expects a bed and breakfast hotel to have a multi- storey............

Been to Villa Magdala? Share your experiences!