“One of the best hotels in Bath” 5 of 5 stars

Villa Magdala
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Henrietta Road, Bath BA2 6LX, England   |
Ranked #15 of 187 Bath B&B and Inns
LONDON
“One of the best hotels in Bath”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Spent a lovely long weekend at the Villa Magdala in Bath. Ideally located in a quiet residential street a few minutes flat walk to Bath Abbey and the Roman Baths. It even has free parking - very rare in Bath. We were upgraded to a "best" room which was much appreciated. Very comfortable beds and spotlessly clean bathroom. Breakfasts were delicious with an excellent range to choose from including wonderful homemade marmalade. All the staff were very attentive and friendly. There is a lovely welcoming atmosphere about the whole place. Don't bother looking for any other accommodation in Bath - book the Villa Magdala!

Room Tip: There are 3 categories of rooms depending on the size.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheVM, Owner at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
What lovely comments - thank you. I can't tell you what a great start to the day it is when there's a good review on Trip Advisor! And all the team look every morning! Thank you so much for taking the time to write in. Just for the benefit of other guests - we do always try to up-grade if we can but it's not possible when we are busy - if it's a special occasion, its well worth booking one of our Best rooms!

627 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Villa Magdala is just the most perfect place to stay. We have just spent two nights there in one of their "best" rooms and every aspect was perfect. Lovely rooms, very clean, great beds, wifi, nice bathrooms. Thoughtful touches such as fresh milk, coffee on arrival, helpful advice on the city. Wonderful breakfast, wide choice. Also great location. Staff were just lovely. We had a peep at other rooms at different price levels and all were of a very high standard, just varying in size. We can't speak too highly. Bath is a great place to spend a few days, lots to do, good places to eat and nice shopping.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheVM, Owner at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments - you've given somthing to live up to now!!!! But pleased that you noted the differing room sizes - one of the issues of having a period building. We do try to ensure guests are aware of the type of room they have booked - and by calling them Good, Better and Best we hope that may give a clue! But the Good rooms still have a king-size bed and offer great value for money for central Bath. But if its a treat then you can do no better than one of our Best rooms with a Super-king bed and lots of space! Please come back again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I visited in February with my mother and 22 month old daughter. We arrived earlier than the check-in time and were greeted by a very friendly member of staff who directed us to a parking space then showed us to our room. The room (Best) was bright and airy and faced the park. The location is fantastic - it's just a short walk into the centre of Bath. There is a wide choice of food available on the breakfast menu - I enjoyed everything I ate. Villa Magdala is great value for money. The staff are very attentive, the rooms are clean and comfortable and beautifully decorated. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TheVM, Owner at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for writing such a lovely review. We remember your delightful little girl - we're just softies for small children who are always so beautifully behaved! And always surprised at the number of hotels in Bath that do not accept children to stay! We look forward to seeing you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Our family of 5 (children 12,14,16yrs) stayed at the Villa Magdala during our recent trip to England from Australia. I know I could go on about the fantastic location, and the wonderful building, the pretty entrance hall, the stunning rooms, the best-ever breakfasts and the friendly staff but everyone else that has written a review has done a wonderful job of that. I think that it is very easy for a business to run well with happy staff when everything is going swimmingly but what makes a good accommodation establishment distinctive is how the staff react when things don't go so well.
I booked nearly twelve months in advance and as there were no interconnecting rooms, I was offered two rooms next to each other. The quote from the email was: "Both rooms are large and spacious and are next to each other on a landing which will not be passed by any other guests".
When we arrived in Bath, we were almost at the end of our 2 month trip and I was becoming quite ill. I was incredibly tired, we had been driving all day and I was not feeling in any way patient. So, when we arrived we were told that we certainly had two rooms but were on different floors. I queried this and said that we had booked rooms next to each other, at which point the manager was summoned. This lady did accept that en error may have been made but was not convinced that we had been guaranteed rooms next door to each other. I insisted we had, but there was nothing to be done at that stage, as the family we had been moved for had already checked in. I grumbled a bit, and told them I was not happy about it (yes, I really was that grumpy). I managed to produce one of the later emails from them and went to show the manager, and she made the comment that "it didn't actually say next to each other". Unfortunately I couldn't find the original exchange but in frustraion at possibly sounding like I was making it up, I told her we would have to deal with it that night but we were not happy to stay the next three nights unless this was fixed. Never in my life have I been so demanding - I really must have been sick! The lady said she understood, and as she was on her way out she bid me "have a lovely day Mrs.Fluke". I was very impressed.
The bedrooms were beautiful, and the sounds of Bath floated down from the city centre and the beds were so very comfortable - we slept like a dream, despite being split up!
Over the next three days I think I unwittingly became the guest from hell. Day two they arranged for part of us to move rooms so that we ended up with the next door variety. This was fine, but the window in my new room was jammed shut and as I am a fresh air addict I went and asked reception to come and open it - my husband tried but wasn;t game to force it as he thought the glass might break.The poor girl downstairs in the end had to put her foot on the sill and pull like mad but eventually it gave way.Then we couldn't find the remote control, so they were summoned again (it was under the bed - why didn't I think of that??). Then we needed more milk - it went on and on, and I was greeted with a smile each time I turned up at the desk, although I am sure they must have been wishing me at Jericho.
The following day I was too sick to go out so I stayed in room all day, and although I must have interrupted their house keeping I was phoned and asked politely if there was anything I needed, and wished a speedy recovery. The next day I felt a little better, but when we returned from the city the pesky window was once again closed. Deciding I didn't want to bother the ladies downstairs I did what the girl did the day before - and the blasted glass broke! The response from yet another lady downstairs was stoic, polite and reassuring. She came and taped the glass up to make it safer and refused all of my nagging offeres to charge the cost to my bill, and insisted she was only concerned lest I cut myself. The breakfasts each day were glorious, probably close to the best we had in England. The food was fresh and inventive and served with flair.
The Villa Magdala certainly has much to recommend it, the location is enough on it's own, and the building is beautiful. But what impressed me the most was the staff's handling of the little mishaps that do happen in this business. I ran Heritage Accommodation for several years and I understand the logistics of running a busy bed and breakfast, and the skills needed to pacify difficult guests.
This place is an absolute gem - don't even bother trying anywhere else in Bath.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TheVM, Owner at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
We all remember your stay very well! I agree that it didn't start well as we had mistakenly thought it was OK to move one of your rooms - we were just trying to accommodate another guest who had arrived with an unexpected extra child!! But we fully understood your reaction and we were really sorry.................you and your family were so understanding and happily we were able to rectify the situation the very next day.

The unfortunate incident with the window- well, we should have picked that up in our maintenance checks so , of course, we would have dreamt of letting you pay for the damage. But how very kind of you to offer.

Please do come back again - we'll try our best ot iron out the little mishaps next time! And thanks for writing such a sympathetic account of your stay!!
Milton Keynes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had a beautiful large room at the top of the house with large bathroom. Bed very comfy but what makes this B and B good are the little touches ( free wi fi and water) great breakfast selection and the friendly staff. I will return.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheVM, Owner at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
So pleased you enjoyed your stay - the rooms at the top of the house are lovely and spacious. They are so large that we can offer extra beds for family groups and there is still space to move around comfortably. We look forward to your return visit! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.
Cochrane Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is a delightful hotel in the centre of Bath, right around the corner from the Royal Mile. The hop on hop off bus tour can begin at your door. Apart from the excellent location, the rooms are delightful with comfy beds and charm. The staff are pleasant and helpful and the breakfasts are large and tasty. It was certainly the nicest accommodation we had during our 8 day Cotswold Way walking tour

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
TheVM, Owner at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us - and enjoyed seeing Bath and the fabulous countryside around! When there is so much to do in the city, the lovely walking opportunites are sometimes overlooked. We look forward to seeing you again!
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful Hotel set in the heart of Bath, great location for business or pleasure. My room (16) was lovely apart from the smallest bathroom I've ever experienced, however it was a very nice but small en suite ! The staff are friendly and very helpful, breakfast was freshly made and beautifully presented, if you're looking for a beautiful boutique hotel in a great location, look no further!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
TheVM, Manager at Villa Magdala, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for this. We do say on our web-site that the bathrooms in the Good rooms are small - although the bedrooms themselves are still large enough to accommodate a comfy king-size bed and with plenty of space to move around. These rooms offer great value for money for a centrally located hotel - and perfect if you don't intend to spend much time in your room. However, the remaining 15 rooms all have much larger bathrooms and bedrooms. The joys of running a hotel in a period building!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review - so helpful for other guests!

Been to Villa Magdala? Share your experiences!