“Great hotel; but ask for a garden side room” 4 of 5 stars

GOURMET MORNINGS
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great hotel; but ask for a garden side room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed on a Saturday evening. This is a very beautiful hotel. The bed is amazingly comfortable. The decor is beautiful. The room and the hotel in general is very clean. The breakfast is complete and includes the buffet and the choice of a hot breakfast item.

However, we had a street side room on the second floor and it was very very noisy--the windows are very thin. We could hear people walking along the street from the pubs until about 2am in the morning. Even the front service said it was very loud on the weekends. You would think since this is a pretty expensive hotel they would change the windows but I'm assuming that since it's such an old hotel, maybe they can't. So, I would stay there again but I will be asking for a garden side room when I make the reservation.

Room Tip: Rooms on street side are very noisy
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Francis. I’m delighted that you liked the hotel and the décor. The windows in the rooms on the side for the hotel are double glazed; I am sorry if you were disturbed by people leaving the pub. I do hope that we see you back at the Hotel at some time in the future.

Kind regards, Karen Bassett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Malaga, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Love this hotel great rooms with coffee pods and tea making bits also two types of mineral water and orange juice left for with the compliments of hotel,yummy bath bits and they let us check out at 1 pm and Sunday lunch in the hotel restaurant is a must its under the new rule of Raymond blanc delish food and attentive service,very good spicy bloody mary too.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have full double glazing I slept like a baby and heard no noise we had a room faci...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Glad you had a good time! Hope we see you again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Beautiful cotton sheets and lovely feather pillows. I travel the world with my own feather pillow so it was a delight to have the lovely linens. The Blanc bistro was wonderful,and if you get there before7oc you still have the option of their lunch menu. Incredible value for wonderful foodGREAT. My only problem was, I smoke and the garden had no lights or heaters. I was travelling alone and did want to sit outside and have a coffee and aperitive but it was dark and uncomfortable. Staff were very helpful if you asked,but not forthcoming with help. I am disabled and there was only one bay, which had a cone on it so I was unable to park there. Not a major problem as I am able to walk short distances, however carrying my bag up the stairs was difficult. Perhaps an intercom from the car park to the front desk would be an option.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you appreciated the bedding in your room and also enjoyed Brasserie Blanc, which adjoins the hotel. There is lighting in the garden, unfortunately it would appear that this hadn’t been switched on and I am sorry that this wasn’t picked up. We have noted your observations regarding the car park.

Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My Mum recommended this hotel as it is so central and it has parking (albeit for a small charge). She was right - absolutely perfect spot to take in Bath and all it has to offer. What she didn't tell me is how awesom the hotel is.

I took my 15 year old twins and we had a premium twin which meant we had a sofa bed also. The price was good but I booked early. THe breakfast was perfect - just as it should be. And the staff were great. The chap in the bar created a special unalcoholic drink for them and got them some limes with sugar to suck - they thought he was really cool.

I can't fault it - I was only there for a night but is was perfect. Do go!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Mums always know best! Look forward to seeing you again.

Salisbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We chose this hotel from the internet as it looked fairly central and we were not disappointed. It is about a minutes walk from Milsom Street and is in a quiet area. Our room was clean, comfortable and well appointed. My only criticism was that the shower control had no cover and would have been an easy problem to fix. We had complimentary afternoon tea which was excellent and extremely filling. Breakfast the next morning was plentiful and varied. My husband chose to have the Full English whilst I opted for Eggs Royale (with smoked salmon) which was jolly tasty. If we were to stay in Bath again we would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel as it looks over Queen Square. The rooms at the back overl...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that we were able to fix the shower control; this should have been picked up prior to your arrival and I am sorry that this wasn’t the case. I am delighted that you would come back to stay with us if you were to return to Bath.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We broke our journey from London to Cornwall with an afternoon and night in Bath. We got a good deal from the Francis Hotel which was easy to find and we were very pleased with the central location, within easy walking distance of the sights and shopping area. Check in was quick and the reception staff welcoming and helpful. We paid £12 to park in the small hotel car park (convenient, but not bookable), but there is also an NCP 2 minutes down the road. The room was compact but clean and well equipped, with a supremely comfortable bed and pillows - so much so that I took the pillow cases off to find out where I could get them! The bathroom designer should try using it once and would see that he/she could have made much better use of the space, but it was adequate. The hotel was once several Georgian townhouses and you can really feel the history as you walk through the different areas.

The hotel's Petite Blanc brasserie looked good, but we had already booked to eat somewhere else. Breakfast was an excellent spread and the staff was delightful and cheerful. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: I was a little disappointed that our room didn't overlook the very pretty Queen Square, but actu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your constructive feedback. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us; please don’t hesitate to contact us if you need any more information about the pillows/bedding etc.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The staff here were very friendly and had enough information about bath and where to go. The location was awesome only a 5 min walk from all attractions, shops and restaurants.........

The boutique hotel was beautiful and the room was perfect. The brekkie was made per order so a great bonus

My only downside was the £15 parking fee.....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I am very pleased that the staff were able to advise you on places to visit in the city; we are very lucky to be so well placed in the centre of the all the main attractions.

Parking really is a premium in Bath and the hotels in the centre who have parking facilities do charge. I hope this won’t put you of returning to Bath and hope we see you again soon.

Kind regards

Karen Bassett

Been to Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!