“Little gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brooks Guesthouse

You added Brooks Guesthouse to your Saves list
Brooks Guesthouse
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   1 Crescent Gardens | Upper Bristol Road, Bath BA1 2NA, England   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #63 of 193 Bath B&B and Inns
Birmingham
“Little gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed overnight while on a short getaway down south west. It was a bit of a last minute decision as a family member was unwell and unsure if we could get away.

I was attracted to Brooks due to so many positive reviews and reasonable price but it was more than we could have hoped for. We paid £109 for the deluxe room with en suite and it was lovely. King size bed, very clean with tea and coffee facilities (you can even borrow dvds from reception)

The hotel is in easy walking distance to the centre and main attractions of Bath and offers parking by permit (£7 per day). We found a space easily but this may have been a draw back had it been peak time.

The hotel also has an honesty bar which was well stocked and breakfast was included in the price and was absolutely lovely.

The lad on reception was very helpful and friendly and I could not fault my stay.

Room Tip: Definitely worth the small extra charge for room upgrade.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooks G, Manager at Brooks Guesthouse, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your short getaway in November.
The DVDs available to borrow can be a great asset if we have not been so lucky with the weather or just fancied a night in.
We hope you will return and stay with us again in the future.
Many thanks
Ben Hudson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed in October for our wedding anniversary.
It started with a bit of a discrepancy due to notes not being written down when I had originally called to book the room, and although it did cause some discomfort for the 1st night, we we're assisted however possible to make our stay more pleasant and comfortable and moved to the correct room on the 2nd night. It was unfortunate, but we all make mistakes (no hard feelings).
It's modern and although it was a little noisy when people walked up and down the stairs (creaky old floorboards), it was comfortable and clean and has that extra bit of character.
Breakfast was really good, with the traditional and slightly more creative choices - and a decent size pot of coffee so you don't need to ask for a refill.
Parking was a little tricky, but then again it's a busy city over the weekend.
It's really easy walking to the city centre, but far enough to not be in the centre of the buzz.
We will definitely recommend the guest house to friends.

Room Tip: Look at all the details on their website & call them to discuss any details (make sure any speci...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooks G, Manager at Brooks Guesthouse, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank your for your review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay at Brooks Guesthouse Bath.
We are extremely sorry that your notes escaped us on your reservation, thank you for being understanding. I am glad we dealt with your requests accordingly the next day.
I am glad you found the guesthouse conveniently located to the city center.
Our Breakfast teams try there best to deliver an extra touch to breakfast with our specials etc….
We hope to welcome you back to Brooks in the future.

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had a very short stay at Brooks - the horrid mildew/mold awful smell in one of our rooms necessitated that we did not stay there at all.

However, I can report the following:

1. No parking regardless of what they tell you. The chance of finding a place anywhere close is totally over stated by the hotel. The very nice people at the car dealer across the street let us use their lot to unpack the car. And then after we saw (and worse, smelled) a room, we did not stay. The house is also on a very busy street, so getting across it to unpack was an adventure unto itself.

2. The rooms are quite small and not that clean. The comforter on our bed had all the buttons removed and looked awful. It was on the first floor and quite small. Our friend's room was the mold/mildewy one and she is highly allergic to both. But I have no allergy and there is no way I would have stayed in that room either. The smell was horrid.

3. We were charged even though the room was totally unsatisfactory.

4. I can only say that we were very disappointed and would never make a reservation there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Brooks G, Manager at Brooks Guesthouse, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry you found Brooks guesthouse not up to your standards. We are terribly disappointed that you found our rooms damp.

As I explained when the issue was raised that personally I could not smell mould in the room and that we have never had this issue before. We do recommend all allergies are raised upon booking as we could have possibly given you a room on the higher level with micro fiber bedding etc…

When arriving late on weekend is not always easy to find parking but we do offer parking permits that allow you to park in the resident bays and we also have a long stay car park 3 minutes walk from the guesthouse. I am sorry that you experienced difficulties with parking.

The double room you booked was a Standard double room which is compact but great for a smaller budget. We also offer King double rooms and Superior King double rooms which offer more space and luxury.

Brooks Guesthouse is on a road, five minute walk from the city center. I am sorry you were unable to enjoy everything we have to offer.

I understand that you moved from Brooks Guesthouse, a reasonably price B&B to The Royal Crescent hotel, the most expensive Hotel in Bath. Being a five star hotel I do hope the luxury hotel was able to cater for you needs. The Valet parking must have been welcome.

On departure, I spoke to the gentlemen who booked the rooms. He understood our cancellation policy and that he would be charged for the rooms as it was too late in the evening for me to resell a perfectly satisfactory room.
He agreed to the terms we discussed. If this was not in order this should have been raised.

I am sorry you consider Brooks Guesthouse over rated by our reviewers but TripAdvisor is impartial and honest to our guest experience.

All considered I do hope you were able to enjoy our Beautiful city.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Brooks Guesthouse is in a great location. You can walk to the main attractions of Bath in about five to fifteen minutes, depending on the attraction. The parking is in a lot behind the guesthouse, or on the side street with a pass you get from the front office. Our room was clean, and the breakfast was about the best we had on our tour. It is made specifically for the patron. A buffet table with fruit, cereals and breads is also available. The front desk personnel is friendly and cheerful. I gave it a 4 instead of 5 because we had tried to call when we became lost on the way. We knew we would not be able to make it prior to the front office closing to get keys to our room. We called and left messages prior to the office closing. Several hours later a person called saying that the number that was given to us on our email was not the Bed/Breakfast and he gets calls often (which I think has been corrected now). When we got to Brooks about 2am, there was no one there, and no one answered the "emergency", "after hours" number on the door. We ended up having to drive to Bristol about 30 minutes away, and search for a hotel at 3 in the morning. After arriving the next day at Brooks, the front office person was very nice, and had explained that they had emailed us giving us information about our key availability. We told them we were driving and had no access to the internet and their number was listed wrong on the email, which they confirmed. Upon checking out a few days later, they were going to charge us for the room for the first night even though their number had been incorrect, and no one had answered the late night number. Had we not had the front desk person call the owners, we would have ended up paying for a room we did not get to stay in. For the establishment itself, Brooks is a great place to stay. If you plan to stay here, PRIOR to your trip ask them if there is a problem, where can you pick up your keys. Get instructions before going.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments.
I am sorry you did receive the correct telephone number on your booking confirmation. I am relieved that you brought this to our attention as we were able to amend this straight away.
I can not apologize more for a bumpy start to you stay. I am glad we and the owners dealt with the issue accordingly.
When possible, we do recommend that we are informed of a late check in as soon as possible so that we can email you a copy of a late check in procedures.
Thank you for being understanding and for enjoying all that we offer at Brooks Guesthouse.
We do hope to welcome you back at Brooks Guesthouse Bath.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I found this boutique b&b on the Visit Bath website. It was cheaper to book via there as breakfast was included (it wasn't if you book via Booking.com). We paid £80 for a standard double room to be told we had a complimentary upgrade to a King Double on arrival. The shower was very large and powerful and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The furnishings were lovely.
The b&b was ideally situated between the free parking area in Royal Victoria Park and Bath city centre. About a 10 minute walk each way. The receptionists were very informative and ensured we enjoyed our stay. The breakfast was to die for; so much choice and not your run of the mill type either. You can tell it has been made with care and attention to detail with only the best ingredients. I could not recommend this highly enough.

Room Tip: Ask for room 22 which was very roomy, and around the back so very quiet should you need the window o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay Brooks guesthouse Bath and you appreciated your upgrade to a King double. We like to offer our guests complimentary upgrades when possible.
Our Breakfast chef Lucas is a very passionate chef. Lucas and his team really do take pride in making those first hours a real joy.

Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Such great value for money. The room was cosy and stylish, the bathroom immaculate. The gentleman on reception was really friendly and proffesional, he offered some great advice on where to eat and drink which we took on board and had a delicious dinner at The Marlborough Tavern. Breakfast the next day was excellent you can really tell all ingrediants are local and the quality and choice was great. Only one problem was woke up in the middle of the night and room was baking and werent able to turn radiators down, should have mentioned the next day as I'm sure it was fixable but as everything else was so good I didnt want to whinge about a small detail to the helpful man on reception.I would strongly reccomend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at Brooks guesthouse Bath.

Thank you for recognizing all that we offer at the guesthouse. Our team is always pleased to receive compliments from our guests.

We are so lucky to have some really exceptional eateries on our doorstep, The Marlborough tavern is a real favorite of ours.

Our Breakfast ingredients are all locally sourced and organic when possible. I hope you were able to enjoy something from our specials board.
I am sorry you found the room a tad too hot, next time please do not hesitate to inform the “helpful” man on reception who would be willing to assist.

We hope to welcome you back to Brooks in the future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Pros:
Location - a 5 minute walk to the Royal Crescent, 15-20 to town centre, Abbey, Baths, etc. Plenty of restaurants and pubs close by.
Staff were polite and helpful.
The breakfast truly was delicious. I stayed 2 nights and had the eggs benedict the first morning and a full English the 2nd. All freshly cooked - none of the buffet style cooked breakfast where all the meats just sit in a congealed mess one gets in so many B&B's these days. Excellent quality bacon and sausages.
Free wi-fi throughout the property.

Cons:
I was in a single room which was absolutely tiny - more a glorified boxroom than a bedroom! Shower room was minuscule as well. And the room perhaps was part of an extension of some sort, don't what the roof's made of, because when it rained - it was extremely loud!
Paid £85 a night for the boxroom - way overpriced in my opinion - even after taking into account the convenient location and excellent breakfast!

Room Tip: Avoid single room facing the back of the property
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Brooks G, Manager at Brooks Guesthouse, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I am glad you enjoyed our freshly cooked to order breakfast and the vast choice available. Your comments are very rewarding to the team.

I am sorry you were disappointed with the size of your room. Our single rooms are compact and functional. I would recommend booking a Standard double single occupancy for the extra space and comfort.

We hope to welcome you back to Brooks guesthouse Bath.

Ben Hudson

Been to Brooks Guesthouse? Share your experiences!