“Perfect place in Bath - Home away from home” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Dorian House to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Dorian House
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   One Upper Oldfield Park, Bath BA2 3JX, England   |
Ranked #41 of 187 Bath B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect place in Bath - Home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We went to Bath last week to enjoy the lovely town and the famous Spa. I travelled with my mother and wanted to impress her with a decent and comfortable but not expensive place to stay and we found Dorian House which had excellent reviews. Well, the reviews were accurate. Although, the room we got was in the basement and the heater did not worked one of the evenings and the room was quite cold, overall Dorian House is amazing. Since you arrive, the owner treats you like a friend, so it makes you feel like "home away from home"
Breakfast is delicious, the girls that serve it are adorable. Breakfast includes all sort of things to kick off your day with a healthy food.
Next time we visit this place, we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

442 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Fareham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I cannot fault any aspect of this charming establishment. From the genuinely friendly welcome to the excellent room, great breakfast and ideal location, I would highly recommend this B&B. It is one of the more expensive establishments I've stayed in worth every cent. The website gives an accurate idea of what the rooms are like and you can choose one with confidence.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Dorian House is a beautiful, well run hotel in a great location in Bath. The walk into town is nothing (it takes just as long to walk from the city centre to the Royal Crescent) and the location excellent. The house is a lovely large property full of charisma and charm and some beautiful rooms. Stradivari is a large room with a fantastic 4 poster bed and a great view over the city - even better when the weather is good and the hot air balloons are flying over the city.
The staff are super friendly and will always take the time to talk to you, along with offering helpful advice about the city and what to do. Bath is a wonderful place to go and a stay at Dorian House accompanies it perfectly.

Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Dorian House is a wonderful B & B in Bath. Our stay was the second weekend in April for 3 nights and we couldn't have been happier. I previously stayed at Dorian House in 2005, so I knew when I booked that it was a really nice place. This time was even better. All the rooms have been refurbished and they added a really lovely conservatory breakfast room that looks out at the garden. The beds were extremely comfortable - it made it very hard to get up in the morning! We were actually a party of 5 (2 couples and 1 single - my father), so we occupied 3 rooms. It was very nice when my father told me I had made a great choice. My husband and I had a wonderful conversation with one of the receptionists, Katherine, one evening when we went downstairs to have a glass of wine before bed. The next evening our party had wine and beer in the drawing room before going to dinner at a restaurant nearby that Katherine recommended. We had left our map book in the drawing room when we left and Katherine actually arrived early to work the next morning so she could return it to us before we left for London. I love a good English breakfast and Dorian House does it really well. All in all, it was a lovely stay and I can't wait to return. Our first choice in Bath will always be Dorian House.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed three nights at this great property. Wine tasting one evening was a nice addition as the owners were reviewing some new wines. Fantastic breakfast and a superb room (Du Pre) with a lovely comfortable bed. Bit of a walk to city centre but it is downhill and we got a taxi back each time very easily.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

It took me awhile to write this review, but stayed several days at Dorian House while touring Bath almost a year ago. The hotel is on a residential street, near the top of a hill behind the city center. We had two rooms, one on the ground floor near the stairs (Slava I believe) and du Pre, which was up a flight of stairs by itself. Slava, since it was next to the stairs and off the entryway, had a heavy curtain you could pull across the door to further muffle noise and ensure privacy. The hotel is beautifully furnished--I would love to live here. Both modern and true to the historical period without being twee or precious. The rooms themselves were spacious, bright, clean and full of amenities such as still and sparkling water, tea, coffee and cocoa facilities, down comforters, tv, and nice toiletries. My room, Slava, had a clawfoot bathtub that I enjoyed a good soak in every night--you could even watch tv while taking a bath. For mornings, the walk-in shower was quite luxurious. The du Pre room did not have quite the luxe bathing options, instead a more standard bathroom, but as my father stayed there it didn't matter. This was by far the best hotel we stayed in while in England (all over). Breakfast--your full English--is served in a lovely atrium and was delicious (I want to marry that bacon). There is also a lounge with a computer to use. A little further up the hill is the "local" pub, (I think it's The Bear--the hotel will tell you) that was really delightful, a friendly bartender, food and great beer.

The only slight drawback is the walk back up the hill to the hotel after a long day on your feet. It is about a 15 minute walk from town, but only about 5 or so pound taxi ride. It's really not that big of a deal, and it is nice to stay in a neighborhood. There is parking at the hotel, but it is on a hill and a touch treacherous (especially if you're not used to the cars/driving on the left). Be warned you will pull in and have to back up downhill, maneuvering around the other cars. The staff was pleasant but not overly friendly (I just returned from Ireland where I effectively had to devise getaways to exit conversations with the staff), and available most of the day and night. Also, I wish the chairs in my room were a wee bit more comfortable for sitting, but then I tend to think most mid-century modern furniture might be better used in interrogation rooms in prison. Overall, this is one of the best lodging experiences I've ever had, and I would absolutely return again.

Pros:
> Beautifully decorated
> Luxurious linens, towels
> Very spacious, comfortable rooms with boutique hotel amenities
> Nice views from rooms
> Nice staff
> Yummy breakfast

Cons:
> Not in city center, a bit of a walk

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cirencester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Dorian House is a beautiful place. We stayed for one night in Tallis - a large beautiful room on the second floor with views over Bath.

On early arrival we were able to leave our car at Dorian House and walk into town (10 minutes stroll). The staff were very friendly and we had a great time chatting to the owners at a complimentary wine tasting evening. The breakfast was cooked and continental with ample choice.

We would definitely stay with Tim Hugh and his staff again.

Room Tip: We recommend Tallis, one of the biggest rooms on the second floor. It feels as if you are the only o...