“Not good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

The Windsor
5.0 of 5 Guest house   |   69 Great Pulteney Street, Bath BA2 4DL, England   |
Ranked #79 of 193 Bath B&B and Inns
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Not good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was put in the Charlotte Room and, as I had paid £160 was very very disappointed to find it was the tiniest, most cramped room I have ever stayed in. Vastly overpriced. After speaking to the very helpful Receptionist I was able to move to a larger room but had to pay £15 extra. It was the Sydney Room and was much nicer even though its in the basement. We thought it was a shame that the bath robes and a cooked breakfast were available only at an extra cost. For £175 I feel they should have been included. We could have bought a parking permit for £12 but were able to park on the roadside for £8.50. The Windsor is very pretty and very clean, the toiletries are lovely and the staff are very pleasant and helpful. It is very convenient for the city centre, the baths etc. and the breakfast was well cooked. All in all a pleasant stay but we felt we paid over the odds and won't be going back.

Room Tip: Don't book the Charlotte room. Far too small.
tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you felt the price was too high for the room you booked. Prices generally, are higher over the weekend and we are amongst very few who are happy to take one night stays on a Saturday. Our prices have to be competitive and quite often are lower than our city centre competiotion. It is possible to book a room for less money outside the centre but it is worth noting that you then loose any saving on taxis to and from the centre. On the bright side, I am pleased you found the Receptionist helpful and friendly, and that we were able to move you to a larger room where you were more comfortable. I am also happy you enjoyed our great location, breakfast, toiletries and high levels of cleanliness. It would be lovely to have you back at The Windsor, do keep an eye on weekday prices which are great value, especially at this time of year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

very convenient for shopping....parking permits available for ease with the cAR. rooms were great and the young guy very helpful in running after small needs.
well reccomended and definitely will stay again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for your review, it is always good to get positive feedback.
Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I took my girlfriend for one night at The Windsor on the 12th January. Friendly staff, very quaint guesthouse in a fantastic location. Tasty 'A La Carte' breakfast for £6 each extra the next morning. Possibly could have been served slightly later as we quite fancied a lie in on the Sunday, however check out was at 11am. Allowed to leave our bags at the guesthouse until our trains in the afternoon which was very kind. Bottle of Taittinger was lovely, however I was expecting it to be present in the room before we entered - I had to ask the staff as to whether I could take it up to the room. However the staff were extremely helpful with any queries I had and service was excellent. The 'Princess' room was slightly too floral/chitzy for my taste however the four poster bed was extremely comfortable, with adequate tea/coffee facilities. Good bath/shower, slightly dated room in general however this is not a state-of-the-art, modern place to stay. Overall a lovely experience, would definitely consider coming back and recommending to friends. (as a note - my girlfriend and I are both 21 therefore The Windsor may cater better for those of a slightly older age!)

Room Tip: Princess is lovely - street facing so use the shutters to block out noise (work very well), ideal fo...
tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review. It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay even if the florals weren't entirely to your taste! The Princess room is very popular and feedback always positive. We are happy you enjoyed breakfast and our lovely staff, we do try to make everyone feel at home and comfortable. Just a note on the champagne, if guests do not give an accurate ETA, it is difficult to judge exactly when to put the champagne in the room but, as you pointed out, it was quick to appear when requested. Glad to have you back anytime.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My boyfriend and i went to bath on 3rd and 4th January, and have one day stay in Windsor House.
It is wonderful location, only 5 mins drive from bath spa train station. And it is only 5 minutes walk to bath city center.
The room is quiet big, with garden,so would be great for those who need to smoke, separate bath and shower in bathroom, and sofa located in the room.
The heating is quiet good, and we are experiencing nice and warm stay in Windsor, which is sweet in winter time.
Staff is really helpful, and very nice, and definitely, the hotel is clean.
Bed is soft and comfortable, and big as well, my boyfriend and I sleeps very well that night.
There are also some detailed decorators that makes Windsor unique, such as i-mini, we can play music in the room with our own iPod.
Breakfast is good, you would be given a lot of choices, experiencing a quiet and cheerful morning after good rest at night.

It was fantastic experience in Windsor, definitely recommended!

tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Wow, lovely review, thank you for taking the time to write this. WE are all so pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Georgiana is a very popular room due to it's private garden and beautiful bathroom, if you like it in the Winter, you should try it with a chilled bottle of Champagne in the summer when the evenings go on forever!!!
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I recently stayed in Bath overnight and found this hotel a welcoming home away from home. Fabulous location, gorgeous building and absolutely lovely staff. Only complaint - luke warm showers. I know there are heritage building restrictions but after a rainy cold day out I was desperate for a hot shower and it was not to be. Everything else was faultless though.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am so happy you described your stay as faultless.
I know we have endless hot water due to our superb plumbing system, so am cofused as to why you had only luke warm water?- could I suggest it was possible that you were not familiar with the thermostat control on the shower unit, which does occassionally happen. Turning the handle towards you increases the temperature and away from you, decreases it. So sorry if this was not explained properly and detracted from your enjoyment.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Windsor Guest House was a last minute booking for Sis & me & I have to say this place was great

Perfectly situated in the middle of all the great touristy sights - so nothing is too far away....

Roman Bath Houses / Pump Room
Jane Austen Centre
The Circus
Royal Crescent Hotel
Pulteney Bridge
Sally Lunn's Buns

Rooms were spacious, clean, & quiet, however there were no separate beds to be had & the bed Sis & I shared was very, very, VERY soft (I prefer a harder mattress)

The shower absolutely rocked! Tons of hot water & the pressure was just what I needed to scrub the travel ick away

And let's not forget the FREE WIFI.....the vehicle by which this iPhone review is coming to you!

No elevators is the last bit of fair warning I'll provide....twas no big deal for us but if you're traveling around the country & can't maneuver your luggage on the trains & Tube (many w/ no escalators or lifts) then I feel quite sorry for you

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you booked at the last minute and were unable to stay in one of our mant superior doubles which also twin. I am surprised you found the bed VERY soft as all our matresses are of a medium spring, allowing for the majority of guests to be comfortable. I am, however, delighted that you were happy with all other aspects of your stay and sent this review whilst you were still on the premises!
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I took my girlfriend for a surprise night away for her birthday (2/3/13) and the princess room was exactly as I hoped for, every bit as special as it looks in the pictures. The room has 2 large windows with a great view out over the street. The bed was a very comfortable four poster. the room also benefited from high ceilings, a tv and a good sized bathroom. Some may find the room dated and perhaps in need of some repairs but I found that to be part of its charm.

Parking was not a problem at all as others had suggested it could be, found a space very quickly right outside, loads of other spaces slightly further up the street.

The staff at this hotel are very friendly, they seemed genuinely interested in making sure our stay was as good as it can be.

Breakfast was delicious, loads too choose from. I would recommend getting a window seat in the dining area :)

The hotel is also in a great location, far enough from the centre for a peaceful nights sleep, but close enough to walk in under 5 minutes. Plenty of shops, bars, restaurants and places to see nearby, we wished we had more time to explore! You also get a discount card with your key fob that entitles you to discounts at local places, very handy!

We really loved this place, there's a couple of bad reviews of this hotel and even of the room we stayed in; I can say that I am very pleased I ignored them and booked the hotel any way, as it is truly superb.

Room Tip: Princess room is a romantic girly room, views over the road, and only one flight of stairs!
tintraveller, Owner at The Windsor, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review. So happy you loved the Princess 4-poster room. You mention that you liked the charm of the room and decor. I agree, personally, I see the experience as being similar to pulling on your favourite, most comfortable jumper, we want our guests to feel comfortable and equally, we want to keep standards high, we hope to hit the balance just right.

Been to The Windsor? Share your experiences!