“Stay Away” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   South Parade, Bath BA2 4AB, England   |
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Bath
“Stay Away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I booked a double room for a night. I was quite pleased with my selection at first as this hotel is right next to the centre and has a three stars ratings so I expected it to be an average hotel.
Disappointed might not be the right word.for our experience. I will NEVER book this hotel again and will not recommended others.

1) I expected a double bed but they had two single beds put together and there was a gap between the two. Mattress was so hard. I didn't sleep ALL night.
2) No soap, shampoo etc in the bathroom
3) Room was COLD
4) Remote for the TV didn't work
5) dress table's mirror was so high, I couldn't use.the.stool to.sit down and get ready
AWFUL EXPERIENCE

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Thai first
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was the second visit to Pratts, with 18 years between visits - I could say it was exactly the same as it was in 1996! but in a positive way! This is never going to be a 5 star hotel but that faded grandeur is something we like and the location is great to all that Bath has to offer. The staff were very helpful and we would recommend for a short break in this scenic city.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed a midweek two night stay at the beginning of December 2014 to coincide with the Bath Xmas market. Yes, the hotel is dated and in need of renovations but it has plenty of original features, tall ceilings, sash windows and has a certain charm. They went all out to make the hotel festive, trees, buntings and decorations galore, very festive atmosphere! The food and service was great, lovely afternoon tea on arrival included in the cost of our stay. Will be a wonderful place to stay after improvements next year. Staff were lovely and attentive. Hotel is perfectly situated for all attractions. Will definitely stay again for next visit.

• Stayed December 2014
romford, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If you like modern anonymous hotels don't stay here! The shortcomings of Pratt's are obvious. The buliding is over 250 years old and sometimes shows it. We stayed here for the weekend 12th/13th December and really enjoyed it. A lady who stayed at the front of the hotel complained about noise from the late bar next door, but as we were at the back on the top (3rd) floor we didn't hear it at all. We did however hear creaking floorboards everywhere, and our friend who had the single room up the corridor had her sleep interrupted constantly on the Friday by meandering guests' footsteps. Her single room incidently was quite charming, very neat and well equipped. Our room had a very comfy double bed, tv, tea/coffee and large wardrobe. The water in the bathroom (large bath) was nice and hot. We didn't eat at all in the hotel (we booked room only) but food we saw in the bar looked appetising. The bar was very pleasant, with large windows and comfortable seating, a really nice place to meet before going out and for a quick drink before retiring. It has been well documented that the hotel is undergoing a major restoration next year, but as this is a listed building it should'nt lose it's charm. We walked up from the station (400yds) but if you drive there is a car park opposite. All in all an enjoyable experience in a charming old hotel. Oh, watch out for the lift, it sets off like a theme park ride the moment the gate shuts!

Room Tip: rear rooms are quieter
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Medford, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The location is perfect; the building has a lot of charm and character. the breakfast was adequate -- not great, but not bad either. The systems and rooms need massive maintenance. The bedspreads had holes in them. The valve for the shower was so touchy that we either were scalded or frozen. The room had a strong smell of cleaner when we got there.

Some of the "problems" are more character than problems; the building layout is kind of goofy, but it's a1740's building that's been done and redone a zillion times over. With old buildings, you sometimes have to accept them as they are. To us, this adds character to the building and makes it more interesting.

But Fix The Showers!!!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel until they renovate the Pratt.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Contrary to some of the reviews I've read, which were enough to put anyone off, I've had a good night's Bed 'n' Breakfast at Pratt's Hotel in the centre of Bath. The hotel, which dates back to 1742, is located right in the City centre a stone's throw from the Abbey, Roman Baths and 'Bus and Railway Stations. Admittedly not cheap, but my room (321) up under the eaves was warm and comfortable with full ensuite facilities including a bath. Had the usual all~you~can~eat buffet breakfast (£10 0n top of the room price) although it was the first time I've ever had to make my own coffee as opposed to having it served to me at seat. The free Wi~Fi in my room was fast and reliable. After breakfast I sat in the Lounge (with a good view over the centre of the City) and read one of the free newspapers provided for guests, which were either the "Daily Mail" or "The Times". The hotel could admittedly do with a bit of money spent on it - which I understand is about to happen - but apart from looking a little tired it was fit for purpose and if I had to I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: It was very warm in my room on the third floor.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Voorburg, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel needs an urgent complete renovation and makeover, which management promisses to every complainant. It is old and shabby. The single room looked nice in the picture but was awful. Tiny and such a low ceiling, that you can touch it. I payed good money for this room too. Because you can only get your room after 2 pm, I wandered around Bath first. When I came back in the evening and saw the room, I knew I did not want to stay there. They said there was no other room. Not even a double for which I would pay extra. Only after deciding to leave, I was offered a bigger room with extra payment. It was large, but very cold. The central heating did not work properly and I resorted to an electric heater that I found in the cupboard. My advice is, certainly for singles: pay a bit more, go next door to the Halycon or another hotel.

Room Tip: Do not wait until after 2 pm to look at the room. And do not accept a room before you have seen it...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Been to Pratt's Hotel? Share your experiences!