“nothing like a premier inn!” 3 of 5 stars

Pratt's Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   South Parade, Bath BA2 4AB, England   |
Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Bath
romford, England
“nothing like a premier inn!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

If you like modern anonymous hotels don't stay here! The shortcomings of Pratt's are obvious. The buliding is over 250 years old and sometimes shows it. We stayed here for the weekend 12th/13th December and really enjoyed it. A lady who stayed at the front of the hotel complained about noise from the late bar next door, but as we were at the back on the top (3rd) floor we didn't hear it at all. We did however hear creaking floorboards everywhere, and our friend who had the single room up the corridor had her sleep interrupted constantly on the Friday by meandering guests' footsteps. Her single room incidently was quite charming, very neat and well equipped. Our room had a very comfy double bed, tv, tea/coffee and large wardrobe. The water in the bathroom (large bath) was nice and hot. We didn't eat at all in the hotel (we booked room only) but food we saw in the bar looked appetising. The bar was very pleasant, with large windows and comfortable seating, a really nice place to meet before going out and for a quick drink before retiring. It has been well documented that the hotel is undergoing a major restoration next year, but as this is a listed building it should'nt lose it's charm. We walked up from the station (400yds) but if you drive there is a car park opposite. All in all an enjoyable experience in a charming old hotel. Oh, watch out for the lift, it sets off like a theme park ride the moment the gate shuts!

Room Tip: rear rooms are quieter
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Thai first
Medford, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The location is perfect; the building has a lot of charm and character. the breakfast was adequate -- not great, but not bad either. The systems and rooms need massive maintenance. The bedspreads had holes in them. The valve for the shower was so touchy that we either were scalded or frozen. The room had a strong smell of cleaner when we got there.

Some of the "problems" are more character than problems; the building layout is kind of goofy, but it's a1740's building that's been done and redone a zillion times over. With old buildings, you sometimes have to accept them as they are. To us, this adds character to the building and makes it more interesting.

But Fix The Showers!!!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel until they renovate the Pratt.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Contrary to some of the reviews I've read, which were enough to put anyone off, I've had a good night's Bed 'n' Breakfast at Pratt's Hotel in the centre of Bath. The hotel, which dates back to 1742, is located right in the City centre a stone's throw from the Abbey, Roman Baths and 'Bus and Railway Stations. Admittedly not cheap, but my room (321) up under the eaves was warm and comfortable with full ensuite facilities including a bath. Had the usual all~you~can~eat buffet breakfast (£10 0n top of the room price) although it was the first time I've ever had to make my own coffee as opposed to having it served to me at seat. The free Wi~Fi in my room was fast and reliable. After breakfast I sat in the Lounge (with a good view over the centre of the City) and read one of the free newspapers provided for guests, which were either the "Daily Mail" or "The Times". The hotel could admittedly do with a bit of money spent on it - which I understand is about to happen - but apart from looking a little tired it was fit for purpose and if I had to I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: It was very warm in my room on the third floor.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Voorburg, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel needs an urgent complete renovation and makeover, which management promisses to every complainant. It is old and shabby. The single room looked nice in the picture but was awful. Tiny and such a low ceiling, that you can touch it. I payed good money for this room too. Because you can only get your room after 2 pm, I wandered around Bath first. When I came back in the evening and saw the room, I knew I did not want to stay there. They said there was no other room. Not even a double for which I would pay extra. Only after deciding to leave, I was offered a bigger room with extra payment. It was large, but very cold. The central heating did not work properly and I resorted to an electric heater that I found in the cupboard. My advice is, certainly for singles: pay a bit more, go next door to the Halycon or another hotel.

Room Tip: Do not wait until after 2 pm to look at the room. And do not accept a room before you have seen it...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
S.Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I visited Pratt’s hotel the weekend of 6/7th December as we were visiting the bath Christmas markets. Directly opposite Pratt’s is the open air (with an underground section) car park called Manvers Street. It is 20 yards from the hotel but be warned that parking is always at a premium in Bath and this time of year more so. Come early or by train would be my advice.
The hotel itself is as previously reviewed a bit tired and faded, but if you look underneath the skin of the decor this is a magnificent old building that was built in 1743. Our room was enormous, 20 foot high ceilings and a massive 5 foot double bed.
The reception experience was very good, both reception staff were extremely helpful and allowed us to check in an hour and 20 minutes early.
Although the décor is faded the room was clean and the location of the hotel is outstanding. If you turn right out of the hotel and right again within 2 minutes you are at the pumping station which is the centre of Bath.
Although I drove I did notice that the train station is literally 5 minutes’ walk to the hotel.
I did not eat at the hotel in the evening but the breakfast was buffet style and very nice. The only criticism I had of the breakfast was that there was nobody monitoring the food usage which meant when the food run out my wife had a 12 minute wait while they cooked off some more. Just a small point but one which could be easily fixed.
I believe that the test of a hotel is would you go back? Yes I would, I will probably visit for the markets again next year but I think that I will let the train take the strain next time.
I can also thoroughly recommend the Christmas markets, the mulled wine and ciders are superb!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here last weekend, location was great just a short walk from the Station, Rugby
Ground, Shops and Restaurants. Our room was on the second floor at the rear of the Hotel
which was very quiet.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful. We would recommend this Hotel to our friends
and family.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Yeovil, Somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a lovely period hotel in a perfect location. We have been staying at Pratts for odd weekends on and off for the last 10 years or so. We had a very friendly reception when arrived early, day staff very helpful and helped store luggage as room not available till afternoon. So when we got back later in the day very sorry to say but our initial room was awful. It should have been a single as double bed only allowed minimal movement, the room was at the rear of the hotel & cold as radiator didn't work and bath was tiny, shower pressure/temperature poor, loud intrusive noise from lift. Confusingly the hotel itself is nice and warm but the hot water couldn't penetrate the ancient radiator. The evening female reception staff was unwelcoming & unhelpful when I complained.
After a poor nights sleep was cheered up by a good breakfast with cheerful waitress. I went to reception again to complain and was dealt with by the 2 very friendly and efficient female day staff who offered 2 alternative rooms, one of which we moved to. Thankfully the next 2 days outweighed the previous one. I look forward to the owners investing some serious money to bring it back to its former glory.
Difficult to score effectively as last 48 hours completely contradicted previous 12.

Room Tip: South facing rooms have a better view, but windows are single glazed so there is some street noise...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Pratt's Hotel? Share your experiences!