“Luxurious hotel with some minor problems” 4 of 5 stars

Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sydney Road, Bath BA2 6JF, England   |
Ranked #14 of 31 hotels in Bath
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Luxurious hotel with some minor problems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We recently stayed for 2 nights at this splendid hotel which is surrounded by a well-kept park and is at about 10 minutes walk from central Bath. The reception area and dining room are elegantly and tastefully furnished: the bedroom was spacious and most comfortable.

We ate for 2 nights at the Vellore restaurant and found the food very good. The staff were smart, courteous and anxious to help. There were, however, three problems which should have been avoided in a hotel of this class and price.

1. We arrived at 5 pm on a Friday night and were given room 218. Suitcases and a bag of laundry were piled on an armchair. The wardrobe contained suits and shirts. Thinking we had been given the wrong room, we rang reception. A member of staff came to remove these items and explained that from Monday to Thursday the room was 'rented' to a businessman. He apologised for the oversight.

2. We had booked and pre-paid through Thomas Cook for a bed and continental breakfast deal. On Saturday morning, when we arrived at the Vellore restaurant, we found we were not on the breakfast list and we were asked whether we were part of a group. We were given a table but were left with the impression that we were in the wrong hotel. After breakfast, we spoke to the receptionist who assured us that she would inform the restaurant of our meal arrangements. Next morning, however, on arriving in the restaurant, we were again told that we were not on the breakfast list.

3. On the first evening, we booked a table for 8.30 and enjoyed the first two courses. No one came to take our order for dessert and by 10 pm most of the staff had disappeared. We did not feel that it was up to us to chase the waiters and we therefore left the room. On the second evening, however, the service was perfect.

Individually, we felt that the staff were doing their very best to make our stay enjoyable. The three problems that we have outlined above were, we think, the result of poor management which we would not have expected in a hotel of this class and price.

In spite of the above comments, we would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Check that the belongings of the week day resident have been removed from room 218 (!)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
martinclubbe, General Manager at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear john g.Thank you for your kind remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would reccommend us despite the issues you had in our dining room.I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our restaurant manager who would like to send her apologies and would like to assure you that retraining has taken place to ensure that you disapointemnt you experienced will not happen again.The next time that you are due to stay, please email me personally so that I can make the booking personally and ensure your stay is perfect

1,312 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and I were thrilled to be returning to the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel. I had been there two years prior and enjoyed very much the garden, the views, and the heated outdoor hydropool.

Well. The garden remains, as do the views of Bath Valley.

But. It goes 'downhill' from there.

Apparently 200£ for a single mid-week night, with a view of a brick wall and staff taking their cigarette breaks, will NOT give you the following:

A) A hot shower

B) Breakfast

C) Wi-Fi

D) Bags delivered to your room in a timely manner (I think they forgot???????)

E) Keys that work

F) A workable television

G) The Hydropool, which was CLOSED FOR MAINTENANCE!!!

* Furthermore:

The quote "hot water went" in the whole building at around 1pm, meaning that the Spa and its associated "aromatic sensory infused showers" and "hot tub" were tepid, at best.

Did you think we would not notice?

Were you surprised when you asked us how our stay was, and we said that we had NO hot water?

Did you ask how my legs were feeling when I wasn't able to shave them due to goosebumps formed by your GLACIAL shower? (well, I can tell you: they are not doing well.)

Were you SERIOUS when you told us there was quote "nothing we can do" in terms of a free meal, or any other sort of condolence measure?

Bath is lovely. Your hotel, however, fails on all levels.

To those thinking of staying at the MacDonald Hotel Bath Spa: Save your pounds and your health and AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
martinclubbe, General Manager at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear JL thank you for your feedback.I can only only apologise once again and repeat what was said at the time and subsequently in writing, we take all feedback seriously and sincerely regret that we didn’t meet your expectations on this occassion
With regards to your comments concerning the planned essential maintenance of our hydro pool. We were informed by the contractors that the essential maintenance would only take two days – Monday and Tuesday.We informed all our arriving guests accordingly and put an alert on our website. However, when they came to reopen the pool on the Wednesday morning they found a leak which meant we had to drain the pool again to investigate and eventually repair the leak which unfortunately took until Thursday
I am sorry there was a lack of hot water in your bathroom on Wednesday afternoon, this was due to a burst pipe in our kitchen area which meant we had to turn off the main hot water supply to repair the leak. I am informed that the hot water was off for around three hours and was fully restored by 4.00pm, this unforeseen emergency would not have affected the Spa as that is on a different system, I am informed by our spa team that apart from the hydro pool all other facilities of the Spa including the our main indoor pool were functioning as normal . I am sorry for the inconvenience but I am sure you appreciate that this was an emergency and was out of our control, therefore we were unable to pre-warn our guests
I sincerely regret the outcome of our correspondance was not as you desired and am disapointed have carried out your threat to write write an awful review which I feel is completely unwarrented and distorted
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Pros.
Lovely grounds
Attractive building and ground floor reception rooms
Courteous reception staff and concierge.

Cons
No valet parking and unloading of luggage.
40 minutes wait in lobby for our bedrom when we arrive at 4.30pm! It was not ready!!!!!!
No offer of refreshment and no complementary upgrade suggestion.
Bedroom was tired, broken pelmet, stained carpet falling apart near bathroom area, disgusting repair of soap dish area in bathroom, extremely noisy ventilation system in bathroom which woke me twice during the night...

I was very much looking to our stay in this so called top of the range hotel. Unfortunately it was a pretty average experience .
I do not enjoy writing this sort of review but unfortunately th beautiful grounds and the fabric of the original building do not give you a good night sleep. Our bedroom was not up to the standard portrayed and expected in a hotel of this class,

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Had a lovely stay in this very comfortable hotel set amidst beautiful gardens just 15 or so minutes to the beautiful city of Bath. Explore the tourist sites , spend a dollar or two in the numerous shops then return to the bar for Champagne, they make a mean martini as well.! Staff were lovely , room was comfortable and nothing was too much trouble

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
martinclubbe, General Manager at Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear imday Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and nothing was too much trouble and you appreciated our martini's we are now known to provide the best cocktails in Bath. then next time that you are due to stay, please email me personally so that I make the arrangements for you personally
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

we stayed 3 nights at this hotel and found it very nice , its a 10 minute walk to the centre of town, the room was a good size, the hotel has a spa but we did not try it ,it has ample parking but they do charge for it ,my only compliant is about the restaurant , while the service was very good and the food was ok it was the smallest meal I think I`ve ever had and was very over priced, it seems the hotel is using its 5 stars to get away with it, anyway it would not stop me coming back to this hotel

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is a first-class hotel a few minutes walk from the core of Bath yet set in a secluded area on a nicely landscaped setting. The rooms are, well roomy. Ours included a sitting room as well. The staff was formal, fitting the tone of the hotel, yet friendly and accommodating. As we only used the hotel for sleeping, I cannot speak to the quality of the other amenities but feel confident that they would be of the same quality.

Chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

From the moment you turn into the winding drive, up to the hotel, you know you're in for a treat.
This is a beautiful establishment, set in magnificent grounds, that just exudes history and splendour.
Inside, the theme continues. The décor is fabulous, and the staff, in the huge reception hall, are immaculate, both in dress and professionalism. It takes only moments to sign in and be escorted to your room. And what rooms they are! Amazing, luxuriously-comfortable, breath-taking! What more can I say?
I spent most of the latter part of the afternoon in the Spa-gymnasium. Every kind of equipment you need to exercise is there. Changing and shower facilities are second to none.
Dinner was set in, what must be, one of the most attractive hotel-restaurants in the country. The food was wonderful and the staff were first class. Yes, you may have guessed, it's a five-star hotel. And I've been to five-star hotels before, but where else do you get the five-star treatment at four-star prices?
Following a good night's rest, breakfast, with the early-morning sunlight reflecting through the windows, was my final gastronomic treat. The choice, the quality of food, the presentation and, of course, the staff, can only rate one description: perfection!
Later, as I slowly and regretfully, allowed the car to make its way back down the drive, the words of the man, himself, came to mind: 'I'll be back'!

Room Tip: Just go there!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!