We recently stayed for 2 nights at this splendid hotel which is surrounded by a well-kept park and is at about 10 minutes walk from central Bath. The reception area and dining room are elegantly and tastefully furnished: the bedroom was spacious and most comfortable.
We ate for 2 nights at the Vellore restaurant and found the food very good. The staff were smart, courteous and anxious to help. There were, however, three problems which should have been avoided in a hotel of this class and price.
1. We arrived at 5 pm on a Friday night and were given room 218. Suitcases and a bag of laundry were piled on an armchair. The wardrobe contained suits and shirts. Thinking we had been given the wrong room, we rang reception. A member of staff came to remove these items and explained that from Monday to Thursday the room was 'rented' to a businessman. He apologised for the oversight.
2. We had booked and pre-paid through Thomas Cook for a bed and continental breakfast deal. On Saturday morning, when we arrived at the Vellore restaurant, we found we were not on the breakfast list and we were asked whether we were part of a group. We were given a table but were left with the impression that we were in the wrong hotel. After breakfast, we spoke to the receptionist who assured us that she would inform the restaurant of our meal arrangements. Next morning, however, on arriving in the restaurant, we were again told that we were not on the breakfast list.
3. On the first evening, we booked a table for 8.30 and enjoyed the first two courses. No one came to take our order for dessert and by 10 pm most of the staff had disappeared. We did not feel that it was up to us to chase the waiters and we therefore left the room. On the second evening, however, the service was perfect.
Individually, we felt that the staff were doing their very best to make our stay enjoyable. The three problems that we have outlined above were, we think, the result of poor management which we would not have expected in a hotel of this class and price.
In spite of the above comments, we would certainly recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Country house hotel in restored Georgian mansion, set in acres of landscaped gardens; walking distance to city center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Tingo, Priceline, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Jetsetter, Otel and Venere so you can book your Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Bath Hotel Bath
- Macdonald Hotel Bath
- Bath Hotel Spa
- Macdonald Bath Spa