“Very good hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Bath
London UK
“Very good hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel before, and will doubtlessly stay there again. The location is great (the city of Bath is wonderful) and the hotel makes a fantastic destnation in itself. The combined of a lovely hotel and the city of Bath, makes for pretty much an unbeatable and enjoyable stay.

The rooms are extremely comfortable (probably the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in and nicest pillows & duvets), the bathrooms and bath products are also very nice. The fitness centre is good, the pool areas fantastic and the spa centre is excellent. Staff seem generally genuinely extremely nice, friendly, kind and helpful people.

We all enjoyed the food, which was very good. However during our stay there was only one restaurant open for dinner later in the evening (7.30pm onwards as I recall). That served food seemingly biased more towards the haute cuisine end of the scale. The menu was quite exciting, the food absolutely delicious, and we thoroughly enjoyed every meal. However when I stayed there before there were two restaruants to choose from for dinner. The other was biased more towards the TDH end of the dining scale as I remember. It was a shame only one was open as we had previously enjoyed alternating between the two on different evenings.

On the topic of restaurants, the service was generally ok and the staff were lovely. However I thought the overall experience was let down by a couple of things. Arriving (not late) for breakfast one morning we were greeted by a chap who seemed in a hurry and started asking us what we wanted to drink and eat as we were still walking to our table. My guests ended up standing in the middle of the room trying to hear what he was saying and deciding what to have, before I suggested they be allowed to sit down first. On a couple of other occasions we had to ask for bits of cutlery before we could start eating as staff didn't check we had everything we needed after putting the food down on the table. I might be being super-picky but to be honest I expect better from a hotel of this calibre.

Whilst I'm being super-picky another thing was a bit jarring. During our stay my guests and I got a number of phone calls from the hotel over a mix up about an unpaid hotel facility bill. I had asked the hotel facility to charge the cost to my room as I was treating my guests. However it seemed the message had not been passed on. Or perhaps I didn't make myself clear to all concerned and it was my fault. Anyway, later that day my guests told me they had received a phone call about owing the hotel facility money and I went to reception, explained and offered to pay there and then. They apologised and I was told it was ok I could settle everything at the end. However my guests later received another phone call about the money That caused some concern and embarassment because my guests had thought I couldnt afford the bill so they offerred to pay. I think I received another phone call after that too. Although staff apologised, again, it was not what I expected of such a good hotel. There was also a mix up about the bill at the end of the stay, which on top of the other was just a bit tedious.

As a heads-up I will add that if you are in your room and do not want to be disturbed, put the 'do not distrub' sign on the door. Otherwise the room might seem a bit like Piccadilly Circus at times with knocks from housekeeping staff, housekeeping staff supevisors, and turn-down service people. At least that's what it seemed like at times. Though of course I understand they all have a job to do and it's hard to do that work around guests. The dilligence of the housekeeping staff did ensure that standards of cleanliness were extremely high and the rooms were always spotless and pleasant to be in.

I feel I have been a bit harsh in this review as some of the nit-picky things I've described didn't spoil our stay but they didn't exactly enhance it either. When we have stayed at the Bath Spa before everything has run like Swiss clockwork, and that's probably why I have been so picky this time around. Bottom line is we realy did enjoy our stay, the staff are generally very sweet and helpful, the facilities are excellent, the rooms are comfortable, and I would without hesitation recommend the Bath Spa hotel to others.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Weston-super-Mare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My wife and I recently spent two nights at the hotel. The staff were very attentive and the hotel is in magnificent grounds. The room we had was comfortable but not so large and impressive as the room we had had on a previous stay. As in most luxury hotels the price of drinks seemed rather excessive. Nearly £10 for two coffees while we waited to be checked in and £16 for a gin and tonic and a fruit juice, sitting on the terrace.
Their apparent attempts at cost cutting were a bit annoying given the prices they charge. They were rather mean with the toiletries in the room and they do not provide free wi fi access. (The Wi-Fi provided is BT open zone.)

Monmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Took my wife to the Macdonald Spa for our 20th wedding anniversary - I'm probably going to be labelled a cheapskate but i got our £300 a night room using Airmiles.....!

Staff very friendly and helpful - let us leave our car in the carpark for free after checking out enabling us to spend another day sampling the delights of Bath.

Room was spotless with a huge 4 poster bed.

Beautiful Hotel and ground and the Spa and gym facilities where fantastic and inclusive of the deal. Food and drink very expensive - £12.50 for a gin & tonic but really top notch food.

If you can afford it a hotel definately to stay at - we will be going back once i saved some more Airmiles....!

Bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Having read so many reviews slating this hotel i was quite apprehensive about what was going to await us. However, i wish i hadn't wasted my time worrying because those reviews were completely flawed and please don't be put off by the moaners.
This is a wonderful hotel, we had a thoroughly first class service from every single member of staff, even the basic room was gorgeous with a great bathroom, wonderful grounds and the most beautiful spa.
First impressions were great as you drove up the gorgeous driveway to see the hotel for the first time.
On our arrival we were greeted by a valet, a concierge and a smiling helpful receptionist. You just couldn't ask for better.
The room was clean, spacious, had a view which overlooked the spa down below but higher up the gorgeous view of Bath's tree lined horizon. Our room was so far from 'faded and in need of renovation' it was ridiculous. An added little extra was the turn down service. Coming in to Classic FM playing with water placed next to the bed was a lovely little touch.
We used the spa twice. Both days it wasn't too full. There were some children but we took advantage of the very hot outdoor pool and lounge area. The sauna and steam rooms were an added bonus.
Breakfast was splendid. Seated immediately. A wealth of staff who couldn't be nicer, more polite or more helpful. Again from previous reviews i was concerned we'd be waiting an eternity for our cooked breakfast. Not at all. After helping ourselves to the ample continental selection, breakfast arrived piping hot and cooked beautifully. I asked for more toast which came within one minute.
We asked for a recommendation for an Indian restuarant from the concierge who was also extremely helpful.
Overall this was a wonderfully relaxing stay in a hotel which i couldn't recommend highly enough. We'll definitely be back.

Reading
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed here before and I absolutely love this hotel , the staff are really attentive and friendly, we had a free upgrade with a view of the city. Rooms were spotless , and the spa facilities are really good . Also lovely gardens to walk around. We came here to relax and spoil ourselves and It didn't disappoint,
Totally recommend this hotel , it is my favourite,

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

A fantastic hotel a real pleasure to stay there. Our room was immaculate and we had a great view from our window overlooking the hotel grounds. A fabulous breakfast was offered with plenty of variety to suit all palates. I cannot speak highly enough of all the staff; they are welcoming, friendly, polite and extremely attentive at all times. The spa is second to known, we had a enjoyable couple of afternoons using the facilities and were fortunate enough that the sun shone and we were able to relax outside on the loungers.

Can wait to return. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Booked 2 nights B&B at a cost of £396 as second part of a visit to the south-west. The location is good, about 15mins walk into the centre of Bath. Although the hotel is 5*, we didn't feel that the rooms really reflected that. Our garden view room had what appeared to a door through into each of the next door rooms - we could hear one room's phone ringing, and someone in the other room singing along to the TV. These doors rattled whenever anyone closed their room door. It was only just a garden view, but more noticeable was that because it was at the front of the hotel, you heard every car come and go all night if the window was left open. The bathroom looked good at first glance, lots of glass shelves and nice Molton Brown toiletries, but the shower had less power than a watering can, probably because it needed a really good clean. I'd asked if any upgrades were available, as members of the Macdonald loyalty club we can be upgraded to the best available room in their hotels. The receptionist asked us if it was a special occasion, when we informed her that it was not, it turned out that the hotel was full. I'd rather have been told that upgrades were not offered unless it was a special event, rather than asking us and then making me feel that we didn't fit the class of people who'd use the butler suites (or whatever rooms are next up from garden view rooms).

We had room service breakfast which was adequate; we didn't use the hotel restaurant as we felt it was too expensive. It may be that the 5* is based more on location, and food, rather than the room facilities or furnishings, which could do with a bit of freshening up. As we were only here for two nights and had planned other activities, we didn't use the spa. Overall, I don't think we would return to this hotel - I felt it was very expensive and perhaps not suited to younger couples. As a final insult the bath tap broke on the morning we left - enough said!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!