“Great little inn!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #98 of 193 Bath B&B and Inns
Toronto, Australia
“Great little inn!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at the Griffin Inn in Bath. Perfectly located in the middle of this delightful city. The rooms were neat, modern and comfortable. The staff were very helpful throughout our time there, particularly when directing us to the local hospital when my partner fell ill right as we arrived to check in. Unfortunately, the inn didn't serve dinner the nights we were there, but the staff directed us to some great alternatives in the town. Breakfast was lovely. The inn is an easy walking distance from the centre of town including the Roman Baths and surrounding area. All in all, I would recommend this place as a great base for exploring Bath.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Picked this place based on Tripadvisor reviews and was not disappointed. It's run by a team of young entrepreneurs, in a whimsically decorated, renovated character building . Excellent hospitality in every way including hosts simply being around and being friendly. They even made sure I had food for the road before my catching a very early train out.

My room, on the third floor, was small yet roomy by layout, with modern furnishings and linens -- very comfortable/bright view. What's unique about this building is stairs that wind up one way and down the next through the building. Not to worry, the first thing the hosts do is insist on bringing your luggage up.

I'd expected some noise above a pub but there was none. Walls were relatively thin between rooms: I could hear snoring, not voices, from the other room and that sopped without disturbing my sleep. The single I'd booked had a separate, private bathroom instead of preferable ensuite, and this turned out to be a non-issue. Bathroom, right across the hall, very spacious for Europe, windowed, and easy access anytime.

The whole property was completely clean, my room spotless, bathroom same except for minor stains on ceiling above shower. Had a small plumbing issue also. None of this will not detract from my overall rating because of immediacy of response.

Their presentation for breakfast was wonderful: in the public restaurant at off time, gourmet preparation served with all the trimmings (like bread you serve yourself from old-fashioned bread boxes). I got to loll around half-awake in this public place for as long as I wanted -- feeling both pampered and as if I lived there.

This is not the hermitically-sealed, luxury experience you get from giant hotel chains. Instead it is a warm, cosy stay in a very artistic, beautiful building that envelops you, right in the centre of the heritage part of Bath -- walking distance to everything (less than15 minutes to the train station). If you want the latter provided by hosts that are eager to ensure your comfort and share Bath with you -- without being in your face -- then this place is ideal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Warrington, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed here one night on an impromptu trip to Bath. I had a single room with a private exterior bathroom. Everyone was very nice. I was hot and tried after travelling. My room was up a few flights of stairs but Wayne carried my bag up for me which was grately apprecatied. Breakfast was included which was also very nice. The location is within 10 minutes of the train station. Roman Bath, Thermae Spa are all within walking distance. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: I had room 8 which was a single room. My window faced the street and I did get a little noise but o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My daughter and I booked one night here (a Thursday) as a stop off on a few days cycling. I wasn't sure what to expect but was very pleasantly surprised.

Staff were great and very accommodating. We loved the twin room - comfy beds, powerful shower and decent hot chocolate.
Location was perfect for exploring the city and we didn't find it noisy in the evening.

As others have commented, the breakfast is excellent. All fresh, local and organic - and tasty too! Decent coffee, fresh orange juice, tasty preserves ..... we didn't want to leave.

I'm sure this won't be our last visit here.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Awesome location, slap bang in the city centre. I had a single room for £99 including a terrific full English breakfast. I had the smallest room - a real single with a small bed - but it was perfect with everything I needed for an overnight stay. But it's the staff who make the Griffin so special - all of them helpful and smiling and nothing was too much trouble. Great selection of real ales in the pub downstairs - you couldn't ask for a better base in Bath.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I came to the Griffin Inn for an afternoon after sightseeing in Bath. The range of real ales is fantastic and there was a superb cider too. The staff were both friendly and knowledgeable and recommended some great things to do while I was in Bath. Sadly I didn't eat here but I will return to this pub when I am next in Bath.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I am spending a week at the griffin due to doing a training course in the local area. The griffin inn is is lovely traditional pub with a good selection of draught ales, beers, ciders and malts. The pub itself was renovated in August 2009 and has been tastefully modernised . The staff were a delight and the friendly banter made my stay very enjoyable. Guests need to remind themselves this building is late 18th century and therefore the rooms are not huge and the ceilings are low but to their credit they have spent money on the furnishings and bathrooms as Good as you would expect in mainstream hotels. Breakfasts provided either your traditional full English or bacon/ sausage sandwiches as well as smoked salmon and scrambled egg bagels. Naturally you had a choice of cereals, fresh fruit and yoghurts. My only disappointment was that evening food was not available but you are situated very close to kingsmead square (100 metres) which offers an array of choices Indian,Thai, Chinese, traditional English. They were fully booked whilst I was there and this is justified by the relaxed, friendly feel to the venue. Yes previous reviewers have discussed the noise in the evening. Remember, you are above a pub, and secondly you are in a city centre venue so bear those in mind when your booking. If you want a silent night, don't book a venue I the centre of a major city. That said, it was a very pleasant stay and I believe the benefits of the venue outlay the lack of an evening meal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Griffin Inn? Share your experiences!