“Friendliest restaurant in bath with great curry very simple.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Friendliest restaurant in bath with great curry very simple.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Panahar is the rarest of beasts great food and amazing value, the seating area is very small and basic.. Don't go hear expecting bells and whitles what you will get is a warm welcome excellent curry and great value. I recommend the chicken tikka korai, the only problem is trying to find your way in and out of oldfield park rat run. I have and will go back here.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

London
“Great Find !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We were staying on the outskirts of Bath and fancied an Indian for dinner. On searching tripadvisor we came across good reviews for Panahar. I would now like to echo them. The food was excellent great choice and service very very good. It was bring your own which made the evening very well priced. There is a Tesco Metro a few yards along the road so easy for alcohol purchases. We had chicken tikka to start and it was a generous serving. The chicken with spinach was yummy and just the right temperature. I have only marked as good and not excellent on the food as the spicy popadoms let them down. The plain were fresh and crispy the spicy were a little stale and chewy. Popadoms asside would recommend !!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Proper curry, amazing prices.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Me and my boyfriend popped in on a Monday night and the place was rather quiet, but were greeted with a big smile and a handshake and sat down. The head waiter was happy to chat with us which was far nicer than the 'cold' waiters in many high end restaurants. The decor wasn't wonderful but it had no real impact on our evening. Both our meals (sheek kebab and king prawn butterfly, sagwala and balti) tasted fresh and beautifully cooked - one of the best curries we have had. Along with popadoms to start, and a coffee and dessert to share, the bill came to £34! Outstanding value! We were then seen out with more handshakes and smiles and left feeling very satisfied! Don't go expecting 'The Ritz' of curry houses - it's good food, lovely service, and brilliant prices. We would go over and over again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bath, England, United Kingdom
“We love Panahar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I am an Oldfield Park local and I feel so lucky to have Panahar as my local curry house. Everytime I walk past, the staff smile and wave- which tempts me to go in for the fresh naans and yummy mild currys. I just wish they did a delivery service!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good honest curry”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I tried this out after coming to terms with the devastating news that my favourite balti house in the world on Bath's Lower Bristol Road had shut after 20-odd years. That was so good that I would fly a dozen curries a time out to the US when I lived there. However, I went into the Panahar alone on a business trip for my usual veg balti, pilau rice and peshwari naan. The look of the joint was cheap and cheerful, and the location is hardly central, but there's free parking outside. Even though there was hardly anyone in there they sat me at a tiny dingy table at the back by the kitchen rather than a bigger one, which was disappointing and unnecessary. The service was quick and friendly, although the waiter insisted on trying to catch me in friendly conversation when I was trying to read. I'm sure some people like this, and he was just trying to be welcoming, but it's just not my sort of thing. However, the food arrived and did exactly what it said on the tin. A good tasty curry - not a world-beater but above average, with a nice flavour, colour and texture - and lovely soft, fluffy naan rather than the thin, crispy overcooked ones some places serve up. Nice enough for me to order a second. My Diet Coke was served to my glass on the table straight from the can! But the bill was fair and the most important part of the meal - the actual curry - was good. Would I go back? Yes, but it wasn't so hot that I wouldn't try a few others in the city first to see if I could find "The One".

• Visited June 2012