“A very pleasant surprise!” 5 of 5 stars

01225 423731
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Marlborough Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 459 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Bath Spa rail station is a short taxi drive away (5 mins) or a pleasant 20 min walk. A City Sightseeing bus stop is directly outside the pub.
Description: Situated around the corner from The Royal Crescent, The Marlborough Tavern combines the atmosphere of a local pub with the quality of a top restaurant. Two AA rosettes, a horde of local & national awards plus inclusions in The Michelin Guide and Good Food Guide bear testimony to their consistent delivery of high quality cooking. They have a clear approach to food ���find the best and freshest ingredients and to create great tasting, essentially simple dishes where the quality of the produce speaks for itself. Married to that is a passion for inventiveness that sees the menu constantly changing. Food is essentially ��� though not slavishly ��� English in character and takes advantage of locally sourced produce wherever possible. The lunchtime menu features a range of lighter dishes and sharing plates plus some traditional pub classics - and the Sunday roasts are legendary. Their food reputation is matched by their service ��� always friendly and attentive without being intrusive. They have an extensive wine list and selection of local ales, and they can mix a mean cocktail too. Outside they boast what is arguably Bath���s finest pub garden; a walled courtyard space, it���s perfect for summertime lunching and drinking.
Bath, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2014 NEW

After many fairly average Sunday lunches in Bath, we were delighted with the excellent lunch we had here, so much so that we returned the following Sunday. Everything was cooked just perfectly, every single vegetable a morsel of delight, the beef portion was generous and - again - cooked just so. I really want to try the evening menu now! The staff are also lovely and have got it just right as well - friendly, attentive, without being over-solicitous or false.

• Visited December 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Astonishing. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2014 NEW

Decided to book a table here tonight, at rather short notice as I had a sudden night away from my own kitchen and would say it was certainly a good choice. The Mackerel starter was something I've eaten and served in many guises over the 20+ years I've been a chef and it's always been a winner. Tonight's was outstanding, I could have eaten it twice, three times and forever. Followed by the hake which was a well thought out fish though for me it was ever so slightly over cooked and personally I would loose the spinach, however that being it was a good dish. The staff are very pleasant and attentive without being over burdening and to be greeted by a charming chap from the bar with a genuine hello was good to see and uncommon too many times. Only down side was the amount of choice for desserts for myself who specialises in pastry. Prices were very good and actually better than I'd have expected. All in all a pleasure and will certainly be making it a regular place to eat. Thank You to all the staff.

“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2014 NEW

We decided last minute to go out for a family evening meal, this place is amazing staff very friendly, great and fast service, food was incredible, thank you very much we will be back very soon

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A great lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2014

Following some Christmas shopping and a visit to Bath Christmas Market we throughly enjoyed our lunch at the Marlborough Tavern. The staff were very friendly and could not do enough for us. What made it for us was that we could bring the dog in and she got her own bowl of water! We thought it very good value and especially enjoyed the spicy parsnip soup (it was a chilly day). As others have said, we recommend booking.

• Visited December 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
East Sussex
“Superb x 3”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2014 via mobile

Superb service, superb food, superb generally!

Stayed in Bath for the weekend and The Malborough Tavern was recommended to us by our hotel. Called up and spoke to a helpful chap offering us the last table available of the evening.

Very friendly welcome upon arrival and exceptional and attentive service by the two lasses throughout my wife & I's stay.

Beautifully decorated in classic gastro pub decor with old pictures of Bath and of the premises in days gone by. I sat in what I think was an old wooden school chair. Novel but a tad low for my 6ft frame!

The food, oh the food!

Tremendous, tasty and reasonably priced. Started with scallop and the duck parfait for starters. The ginger brioche, made by the Tavern that day apparently, with the duck parfait was spot on. The scallops were tasty and best tasted for a while.

Both starters were delightful and set great expectations for the main course which was not a let down. Granted it was only fish and chips but the batter was so light and crispy, not the usual thick cloggy coating. I had triple cooked chips which although very bad, they were very tasty.

For our first visit to Bath, this finished off our first day's visit perfectly.

Heartily recommend to all.

Visited December 2014