“Pleasant and affordable.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #133 of 260 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located on the High Street, we've created a restaurant with a distinctive new look inspired by modern Italian design. And with the help of our expert friends, including awarding-winning chef Theo Randall, we've created a menu that features a range of simple, classic Italian food and an all Italian wine list.
Newport, Shropshire
“Pleasant and affordable.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have been twice now to Ask and on both occasions have had a pleasant experience. The food has been lovely and the atmosphere is good. The staff are friendly and helpful. Prices are reasonable. There has never been any problems with them taking their on line vouchers. Would recommend.

Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
“Service excellent, food better than average, but poor value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My partner and I went for the day to Shrewsbury, and chose AskItalian to have our lunch. We were greeted at the door, and although quite full, were quickly seated, the table being wiped down as we were approaching it. Our waitress was knowledgable, attentive and helpful, and the food arrived in good time, with space between courses to relax and digest the food we had just eaten. However, whilst the food we had was good, and tasty, and a very good approximation of food served in Italy, portion sizes were very carefully controlled, and less than generous. No bad thing for us, as we are both trying to loose weight, but the starter for two would not have satisfied a healthy appetite, the mains, tasty and well cooked, and nicely presented, left plenty of room for dessert, we had a 'special', bread and butter pudding made with panettone, juicy and sweet, but not as fruity as I would have liked, we shared this between us. In short, we had a starter for two, two mains, one dessert, and a bottle of rose, and the bill was over £70.00. Expensive for an evening meal for two, let alone lunch. Yes, we enjoyed it, and considered it to be our 'Valentine' treat, but I would not choose to eat in this chain again, purely on the basis of cost. The saving grace was the service, but overall poor value for money.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is part of a chain and as such it is not cordon bleu nor would you expect it to be. Was quickly found a table and served by a very helpful young lady. Service was very good and the food was of a reasonable standard.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Llanfyllin
“Predicatable but good all the same”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have been privileged I guess to have been able to eat at just about every type of restaurant and hotel around the world at someone else's expense (employer or client) for the last 45+ years as well as paying my own way for food. So when I, my wife, friends and business acquaintances eat at chain restaurants such as ASK, we don't expect to be served with the type of cuisine one would eat in Milan or many other Italian cites.

Let's face it, ASK is a predictable chain of reasonable quality restaurants in the High Street - they provide a wide range of meals at a reasonable price (taking into account the horrendous council business taxes they must pay to be on the High Street), and they on the whole provide good value for money.

I have eaten three times over the past three months in the ASK restaurant in Shrewsbury. Each time there was a warm welcome from the staff, great and pleasant service and a more than acceptable meal with reasonably priced wine. So, what more do you need? If you want that 'little bit more' expect to pay more than 'a little bit more' - but we're satisfied.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“DON'T ASK”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We visited ASK for the very first time on the 9th of Feb, this was our very first visit to ASK and I was really looking forward to it as Italian is my favourite food.

We went to ask as a large party for a family engagement celebration they put us all upstairs I think they forgot about us as we were not offered drinks for ages and when we ordered our food the starter took at least a hour and a half.
Myself and my partner had mushroom al forno ... It was vile, but I was that hungry I ate. The mushrooms were tasteless like they had been boiled in water and then there was two soggy triangle pieces if bread that looked like they shared one slice of bread out with everyone that had a al forno. Our two friends that shared our tab had a salami sharing platter they were not impressed with theirs either although it looked better than ours.
Inbetween all this we were not offered more drinks and had to ask a member of staff.
For my main meal I had seabass there were no mushrooms in the dish the sauce was like water and the 2 boiled potatoes were hard... Not impressed at all it's not hard to boil potatoes. My partner had calzone which you can't really go wrong you can get a pizza just as good out of asda on the make your own counter. Our friends also didn't have a good experience with theirs with the one also having hard boiled potatoes.

Still we hadn't been offered a drink. Anyway that was the end of our meal we asked for the bill and I'm glad we didn't have another drink as your prices for drink are disgusting £6:15 for a bottle of the large peroni (which I think it's either just under a pint or just over)
Bottle of wine £17 not too bad but I'd say bit too pricey.
So we pay our bill which was £55 per couple which we thought was well over priced for the quality and quantity of food we had plus service which is another thing ASK added a service charge of I think 12% Disgusting .... A TIP should be left at the customers discretion not added on the bill it is rude. I work in a industry where tips are given I would never ask for a tip or add it to the receipt without the customers say so I find it very rude and insulting especially after the 'service' we received.

So as a first time customer to ASK there is no way I would go back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere