“AVOID NOISY ROOMS AT FRONT OF HOTEL” 2 of 5 stars

9 - 10 Frankwell, Shrewsbury, England   |
Ranked #14 of 54 Shrewsbury B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Worcester, United Kingdom
“AVOID NOISY ROOMS AT FRONT OF HOTEL”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My visit to Shrewsbury had to be arranged at very short notice so by the time I booked over the Internet there wasn’t a lot of choice left particularly as I was looking for a hotel with its own parking. The Silverton seemed to fit the bill.
I must be honest and say that when I agreed to pay £125 for the room I was expecting something “posh” and fairly luxurious. As I have discovered that is not the Silverton, which in my opinion is rather utilitarian and lacking in character. There is no proper reception area with the booking in done via a small recess situated between the bar and restaurant area. There is no guest lift to the top floor although the young lady who checked my wife and I in did offer to carry our case to our room at the top. The room itself, although not exactly large, was adequately fitted out.
By far the biggest downside to our stay was most definitely the continuous and excessive noise from Saturday night revelers that bombarded our front of hotel room from 11.30 pm to 4 am resulting in virtually no sleep! My wife and are in our late 60s and this really did completely spoil our stay which was intended to be a birthday treat for my wife. Judging by previous reports on Tripadvisor about the hotel this has been an unwelcome intervention for quite a view other guests and the manager has told me they are considering triple glazed windows.
On the positive side we found all the members of staff we encountered to be very friendly and helpful. The parking facilities were good and the breakfast excellent.
I complained when we checked out and followed this with an email the next day. The hotel general manager did offer a future booking for a room at the rear of the hotel at a reduced price but the experience is too raw to make that a viable option. I replied to say a partial refund would be more appropriate but my suggestion appears to have been ignored.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

A nice, friendly welcome. Contemporary decor yet traditional on the outside. A large comfortable bed. A HUGE bathroom. A great location and somewhere to park. That just about sums it up. We had a room at the front and I thought there might be some noise from the busy road, but it was OK and fairly quiet after midnight. Somebody here has grrenfingers as there are pots of plants including vegetables and herbs everywhere outside which are lovely. Our only niggle was the fatty, streaky bacon rashers at breakfast. Otherwise, pretty much perfect.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I had not been to Shrewsbury for quite some time and we thought we would like to refresh our memories of a very pleasant and historical town. The location of the hotel could not be more convenient for the town centre being just over the Welsh Bridge. The hotel has been created out of what used to be a dairy and has just seven bedrooms. There are restrictions on how the building could be altered being in a conservation area, but internally it has been furnished and equipped to a high standard. A big plus is the availability of free on site parking.
Our room was on the second floor at the rear and was peaceful, although I can imagine if it had been at the front, the busy road could cause problems in spite of double glazing. The room was not large but was quite adequate and had good wardrobe and drawer space. There was a Loewe flat screen TV and a DAB radio. Free wi-fi is available throughout the hotel and if you wish to connect to the internet by wire, one is provided. Air conditioning was useful as our visit was during the hot spell. The bathroom was fitted to a high and modern standard.
We had breakfast (which is included in the room price) and there was a good choice to be had. on our second morning we chose the blueberry pancakes which were delicious. We also ate dinner on both evenings of our stay. The main courses we chose were very well cooked and presented although we did think that perhaps they tried a little too hard to provide something different, for example tart tatin which included lemon and parsley sorbet.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and based on our experience, we would be happy to use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room at the rear would be preferable. If you require the use of a lift, this is available...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We are just back from a 2 night stay booked a while ago to celebrate my birthday and our wedding anniversary. On the advice of other reviews I requested a rear facing room as my husband is a light sleeper so when we were shown to a room at the front of the hotel I presumed they must just be full so could not accommodate my request. Due to it's excellent location,just 5 minutes walking distance to the main shopping centre, the road which runs past it is very busy from quite early in the morning so we did not have the best night's sleep. Luckily the room had air conditioning as it was exceptionally warm even though this was just before the weather warmed up - maybe it was close to the boiler or something?
It is very well fitted out although bordering on the side of corporate and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. A slight let down was we tried to ring down to order some champagne twice on arrival, but no-one answered so we had to celebrate my birthday with sparkling water (complimentary with the room, which was a nice touch). On the down side it lacks a bit of a feel of a hotel as the reception area is just a small alcove between the bar & the restaurant so nowhere for guests to sit. A huge plus point though was the superb breakfasts with a varied choice and top quality products. It was lovely to see things other than the "full English" and I really enjoyed the blueberry pancakes!
Another bonus was the on site free parking, which is a premium in the area. Everything was presented very well - clean and well decorated. Cannot quite put my finger on what was missing - maybe a bit of personality as just felt too impersonal. Not the staff though as they were chatty and friendly, maybe some quirky touches in the rooms - art work or locally made cookies so does not feel so corporate??!! Definitely worth a stay though!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Two of us stayed on a Saturday night in early July, weather was great but our stay would have been great anyway.
Hotel is attractive, clean, up to date in look and feel does have a relaxed quality feel, not in your face as some smarter places can be. Good location, close to river , centre of town a 5 minute walk away and it has its own parking which is useful in a place like Shrewsbury.

Rooms were modern, quality fixtures, nice bathroom, ok size and very clean. We had a room at the front which was a bit noisy due to the old sash windows so worth asking for a room in the back if you are a light sleeper.

Food was great we only had breakfast but was one of the best I had had, can imagine rest of their food very good if breakfast anything to go by. Nice bar, if a bit quiet downstairs.

Final mention must go to the staff who were great with us, helpful but not too helpful if you know what I mean so well done to all of you, thanks guys.

Room Tip: Rooms in back are quieter but they are going to DG the front ones soon so I would ask re this. Woul...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

An absolute delight to spend a couple of nights at this hotel. The accommodation was exceptionally clean and very comfortable. Lots of little "additions" in the room, fresh orange juice, milk and water in mini fridge which was replenished foc!

The staff could not have been more friendly and attentive, and their attitude was amazing

The breakfast is filling and tasty, created using the best local ingredients, in fact kept us going all day. We also had dinner at the hotel.. Steak and bottle of wine for £30 .. Again cooked to perfection with the tastiest side order of fresh vegetables

Would return here in a heartbeat and the staff definitely make this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have just spent 2 lovely lovely days days in Shrewsbury staying at one of the best boutique hotels I have experienced. The staff should be given a customer service award as they genuinely go out of their way to make sure you are having a good stay. The food in the restaurant is excellent and of the same high standards as the service given.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Silverton Hotel? Share your experiences!