“Surely the best food, service and setting in Shrewsbury?” 5 of 5 stars

50 Wyle Cop, Shrewsbury SY1 1XJ, England
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lion + Pheasant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 260 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
shropshire
“Surely the best food, service and setting in Shrewsbury?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Food: 10/10 If a Michelin inspector ever discovers that Ludlow isn't the the only town in Shropshire to serve food, I'm certain that they would award one to the lion and pheasant. I loved the fact that the menu was very much based around fine cuts of meat, it was truly faultless and far, far better than the surrounding restaurants I've eaten at in town.

Service: the service was wonderful, again 10/10. No one gets it right all the time as I asked for a bit of time between my starter and main to finish our wine, finished starter and the main was out 5 minutes later. I explained this to Terri, our waitress, (not only very professional but lovely from start to finish) and she not only apologised, but explained why and offered us a complimentary cocktail. A good place becomes an excellent place not by getting erything right all the time but understanding how to put things right that go wrong. The manager (his name escapes me) was great also, very attentive and friendly and I took him up on his suggestion for the starter, something I don't regret!

Atmosphere: lovely atmosphere, romantic, not pretentious, not stuffy. Asked to be moved from a table that felt a bit draughty, again, tis was no issue at all.

Value: a round of drinks, two large glasses and two medium glasses of wine, starters, mains, dessert, side dishes, dessert wine and two cocktails for £108. Bear in mind this food was excellent.

Overall a 10/10 night, the staff were fantastic, the food was faultless and I was more than happy to pay the bill I was presented with. My only regret is that I didn't have any cash on me to tip, apologies guys. I will definitely be coming back for my next special occasion.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Chester, United Kingdom
“Almost perfect!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Great atmosphere, great food, came here on an anniversary dinner and was not disapointed. Food was quality, slightly let down by staff who didn't seem confident and seemed stressed (even though it was not busy) Would very much recommend!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Enjoyed a lovely Easter lunch at this restaurant, the food was simply delicious, prices reasonable and all members of staff extremely polite and helpful. Our main course was chargrilled ribeye steak with Cafe de Paris butter, which was one of the nicest steaks I've had in a long time. Reasonably priced at £16. For pudding we enjoyed orange cake with cream, the presentation rivalled Michelin star restaurants and was very tasty too! Good choices of wine and lovely decor makes it for one of the best restaurants in town

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stoke On Trent
“Amazing Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were a party of 8 friends, last friday, place was really busy, the restaurant is very modern and really nice, service is ok and my food was absolutely Gorgeous, I had a seafood and fish stew, fantastic. The rest of people of the party had very good food too but if you go there and you like fish and seafood order this stew. You will be surprised. Def I will recommend this place.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham
“Won't come back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Decor is nice, but service was too slow (we were the only people at the bar) and the atmosphere is lacking something (je ne sais quoi). We won't be back, but it might be better if you're eating or if it was busier

ShropshireLad50, General Manager at Lion + Pheasant, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
On the evening/weekend this review describes, most of England and Wales received some of the highest snow fall in March in living memory.
We had indeed had many cancellations as our customers decided against risking the heavy snow when travelling. Some were due stay and others from just 20 miles away. We did however manage to do 70% of our normal covers for a saturday.
So that said, I am sorry for the wait at the bar, and I am afraid that all our customers had gone up to dinner (1st floor restaurant) and there was little trade from customers walking in off the freezing cold streets to create the usual atmosphere in the bar.
I hope this makes more sense of this brief review, which as I see it is of little help to any would be customer.
We will continue to try our hardest to offer great food, comfortable hotel rooms and good service.
Regards