We booked this hotel for a romantic stay and to do some Christmas shopping in Shrewsbury. Our stay didn't get off to the best start - entering the hotel it was hard to see the reception desk - hid as it was behind people milling about in the bar and a large xmas tree - it makes you feel a bit awkward when you're stood there with your luggage wondering if you're even in the right place! Once we'd found the receptionist we were advised that our car would be ok to be left on the street whilst we checked in as there would be no traffic wardens at that time of night - very wrong as we got back to our car half an hour later to find a parking ticket!
That annoyance aside, the remainder of our stay was very enjoyable. The room (on the top floor at the back) was very clean and the bed very comfortable. Despite worries about noise from the bar downstairs there was actually none at all and we slept really well. The furnishings were (as others have said) of a shabby chic style. Perhaps if anything the room was too spartan decor wise - but that was a minor issue.
The breakfast room was lovely and the food very nice. Some of the staff at breakfast could perhaps do with a refresher course in hospitality as replacing the surly/sulky looks with a welcoming smile or too would do wonders for the overall experience for guests and there were other staff members there who were aware of this and were a credit to the hotel.
We did not dine at the hotel as the restaurant was fully booked both nights of our stay so cannot comment on the quality of the food. But based on the quality of the accommodation, we would definitely choose to stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Following major renovations in 2010, the Lion + Pheasant has re-opened as Shrewsbury's most stylish townhouse hotel, bar and restaurant. A unique combination of timeless elegance and contemporary design makes this AA three-star historic inn the perfect destination for an evening out or a longer stay - whether to unwind after a day of busy meetings, or to while away a relaxing weekend in Shropshire's most beautiful county town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Lion + Pheasant Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lion + Pheasant Hotel Shrewsbury
- Lion And Pheasant Shrewsbury