“Another good meal at the Burlton.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 260 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Ruthin, United Kingdom
“Another good meal at the Burlton.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We pre booked a table for four for lunch a few days ago arriving at 12.30 exactly the same time as a very large delivery lorry pulled into the car park with a huge food order which had to be unloaded and sorted out by the staff. There was another table for 3 booked but all the other diners including a party of 7 and another of 11 arrived on spec, pretty soon the restaurant was almost full so the small number of staff certainly had their work cut out. Although a gentleman from another table made a comment to us about the slow service we found the short wait in between courses acceptable. Our meals were very well received, hot when they should have been and very tasty. The staff were all courteous and extremely friendly, we felt very welcome and relaxed. This was our third visit to the Burlton Inn and we will certainly return again.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“A dreadful meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We went for lunch with friends on New Year's Day. I think probably the worst meal in the last 10 years. The main courses ordered were inedible and the situation was only marginally improved by waiting staff who did their best to try to rectify the position. However nothing could correct the dreadful cooking. Until it changes management again I would not recommend anyone to go.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“well I enjoyed my meal.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

On a recent visit to Shrewsbury and a stay at The Burlton Inn, I can thoroughly recommend Tony's fish pie with crushed new potato topping. Absolutly the best ever.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Shocker”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

This evening my Son his Girl Friend and I decided to have dinner at the Burlton Inn. We have frequented this Restaurant over 15 years and through 1 owner and 2 Managers. However we had heard a couple of people mention that the standard had dropped dramatically under the new and current management. Much to my regret I doubted this and thought we would try The Burlton Inn. The first indication should have been that the Restaurant was empty at 7.30 in the evening other than 4 or 5 people drinking.
My son ordered the (supposedly) Ribeye Steak, cooked medium rare, what a Shocker!!! It was extremely well done, hard and grey about 3mm thick. (£10-95) The request for Peppercorn Sauce was met with a bit of confusion by the waitress and even more confusion on the part of my son when it arrived, as it tasted of nothing. The Chips were either cold and hard, cold and sloppy or just warm and the onion rings he thought were not to bad.
May I add, we were the only diners, they had three covers in the hour that we were in the Burlton Inn. We were offered a 3 page paper printed menus, that had been stapled together and informed that they had run out of mussels, even though we were the only diners.
My son's Girlfriend ordered the Fish Pie. The fish pie, was warmed from frozen but she ate it and thought it was all right, but the garlic bread was full of grease. (Not Butter)
I ordered the Chicken Burger (how hard could it to make a Chicken Burger). I will not bore with the detail but it was awful. The least the Chef could have done was attempt to rescue the bun. The so called Salsa was straight out of a jar cold onto the boiled chicken breast and that was the Chicken Burger.
All in all it was a terrible meal...... we informed the waitress that we would attempt to eat the food and we would pay for it, however I was unable to eat the Chicken Burger. We did notice a scruffy looking man in a cap peering round a pillar to see what was going on. He disappeared rather quickly with a full pint never to reappear. We discovered that he was the Manager/Lease Holder, on his "day off".
We can say that we will not be going back there and to be honest we should have stayed at home and saved the fuel and stupidly £41 for a Shocker but then they say A Fool and his money is easily parted. Never again!!! How very sad the once Good Burlton Inn has dropped to this standard.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
England
“OH DEAR”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Went as a table of four on Saturday. Oh dear! Something about change of owner or management. Very limited menu - e.g. no steak. Who ever heard of a pub restaurant not having steak on the menu. Service very slow but I think this was a kitchen issue. Meal summed up by being served a slice of stale economy white bread cut in half with the crust hanging off. When I called the waitress over and asked "Is this the crusty bread?" she went away and got someone of 'importance' who told me in no uncertain terms "The ticket in the kitchen just said bread and not crusty bread" even though that's what the menu stated. Any restaurant that is confident to serve stale white bread doesn't deserve customers wasting an evening out.

• Visited September 2013