I took my mother to this "quaint" hotel for a surprise stay for her 84th birthday, and chose a suite as an extra treat, and she loved it! Although the furniture is a little "worn" in places it adds to the character of the place - if you want a trendy, "clinical", modern hotel then book one (& I'll bet you find one or two "niggles" in all of those too!) Yes it's a bit of a rambling place, but remember its age, and beware that the lift can't reach all the floors - again an age of the building thing, but it might be important if you have mobility problems. However, I guess if you warn the hotel at the time of booking they will help you choose the right room to meet your needs.
Breakfast, and the evening meal we had in Chambers were excellent and the staff throughout were wonderful - they treated mum as if she were the Queen! They checked she would be able to cope with the stairs to our suite and did everything they could to make her birthday a special one.
All in all, we were both delighted with my choice of this hotel and I'm now hoping someone might decide to take me back for my birthday!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic grade II listed Prince Rupert Hotel is situated in the very heart of medieval Shrewsbury and just a short stroll from the individual shops and many tourist attractions. Surrounded by narrow cobblestone streets and black and white timbered buildings it provides the perfect base to explore beautiful Shrewsbury. A warm and friendly welcome is always provided to all guests with a glass of sherry on arrival. With the heritage of the hotel dating back to the 12th and 15th century, character and charm abound with sloping floors, exposed Tudor beams and a restored Jacobean staircase. Privately owned for many years by Michael & Diane Matthews, the hotel offers a great choice of dining all with a focus on fresh local produce. The Royalist is ideal for a special occasion with an a la carte menu together with a superb wine list. Chambers brasserie is renowned for its traditional British menu at sensible prices and located at the front of the hotel overlooking the gardens of St. Alkmunds square, Camellias Tea Rooms offers an extensive menu selection including traditional afternoon tea served on a three tier cake stand. A charming place to relax to the sound of a grand piano. FREE valet parking is provided to the hotel's private car park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Prince Rupert Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Prince Rupert Shrewsbury
- Prince Rupert Shrewsbury
- Shrewsbury Hotel Prince Rupert