“Good budget hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury

You added Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sitka Drive | Shrewsbury Business Park, Shrewsbury SY2 6LG, England (Formerly Hampton by Hilton Shrewsbury)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Shrewsbury
Brecon, United Kingdom
“Good budget hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by the Hampton Inn. It is hidden in an industrial estate on the outskirts of the town but this shouldn't deter you if you just need a place to put your head down after a day's sightseeing or visiting friends or relatives. The staff were all very friendly, the free wi-fi was a bit hard to get into but did work after a bit of effort (the password is printed inside your room key holder but this isn't pointed out to you); the standard room with a queen-size bed was large, with a very nice bathroom and good-sized shower. They have even thought to provide flannels - a rarity these days! As another reviewer has noted, it was a shame about the wooden stirrers with the tea/coffee set; teaspoons would be nicer.

We stayed for two nights - Friday and Saturday - and enjoyed the "free" cooked or continental buffet style breakfast, though the space in the dining room/bar is a bit tight; they opened up a meeting room as overflow.

The only downside was the late night revellers who came back to their rooms at 5am on Sunday morning and made an awful racket - slamming doors, shouting in the corridors, knocking incessantly on each others' doors. We were unlucky to be in the next door rooms to this rabble, but it is a risk in a budget hotel.

Overall though I would stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Polish first
Burnley, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is an account of the disgraceful customer service that I have received since staying at the Hampton by Hilton in Shrewsbury between Sunday 23rd October 2011 and Friday 28th October 2011.

It has almost been 12 months and the matter has not yet been resolved.

When I arrived, the check-in was fine.

I have never stayed at a Hampton by Hilton before and was initially very impressed with the decor. However that all changed once I had checked my room. I had booked a King room.

At first glance the room looked great. However, once I had unpacked I realised that all was not well.

First of all, I discovered at least five hairs (some pubic) in the bedding including the pillows. I say at least. I gave up at five.

The bedside table had a dried stain on it from a spilt drink. The toilet was full of shavings. i.e. someone had shaved over the toilet and the water was covered in a fine layer of short hairs. When I checked the shower, I found a wet flannel on the bench seat.

Now I don't think for a second that the hotel reuse the bedding so there must have been a real failure in standards with their laundry services. However, their cleaner made no attempt to remove the hairs. Nor did they clean the stain on the bedside table or the toilet or move the flannel.

This was simply poor attention to detail. What use is a cleaner that doesn't clean?

I returned to reception and asked for another room. The man on reception said that there was only a Queen room and gave me a key to the room next door.

The second room had some hairs in the bedding but the biggest problem was that the toilet bowl was full of splattered faeces!

I went straight back down to reception to say that I would be needing another room. I am pretty certain that the man on reception (who was trying to eat his supper) thought I was a "fussy sod", as he gave no word of apology. He simply grabbed the pass key out of my hand and stormed upstairs to check the rooms.

When he returned, he simply handed me another key and told me the room number. There was no acknowledgement that the second room was unfit for purpose.

When I got to the third room, I found three hairs on the pillow straight away. However after the way the man behaved, I didn't have the heart to go back down. Anyway, I had already wasted half an hour. I simply removed the pillow.

I did pop down to the dining area adjacent to reception later to get some supper and I was made to feel completely unwelcome.

I tried connecting to the internet in order to locate another hotel nearby but it was not working. If it had worked, I would have managed to locate another hotel and checked out in the morning.
There was no mention of a room discount of £50 due to my being given a Queen room which costs £10 less than a King room. (Actually a refund as I had already paid in advance).

I finally managed to connect to the Hilton Customer Care site on Wednesday 26th October 2011 to leave a complaint.

On the following day Thursday 27th October 2011, I received two replies which was encouraging. The first was from a "Guest Assistance Specialist / Advance Purchase Coordinator" based in the United States. He gave me an incident number of 8521362 and said that he had been in contact with the hotel who had 72 hours to reply. The second reply was from the Hotel Manager.

On Monday 31st October 2011, I received an email from the hotel manager. He offered his "sincere apologies for the shortfall in service and standards you experienced" and offered me a one night complimentary stay.

On the same day, I received an email from the "Guest Assistance Specialist / Advance Purchase Coordinator" in the states who offered me "a refund in the amount of one night room and tax which will amount to approximately 64 GBP". Please could I "please verify a current mailing address, you will receiving this refund via mail in no more than 2-4 weeks".

Before I had chance to respond to either email, I received a further email from him on Wednesday 2nd November 2011 saying "I was informed that the hotel property has made contact with you regarding the incidents of your stay and offered you a complementary night stay at their property if you wish to accept and make a reservation with the hotel property in order to redeem this offer. Please disregard the prior email stating address verification for refund of 64 GBP".

I immediately emailed both the hotel manager and the "Guest Assistance Specialist / Advance Purchase Coordinator" that I would prefer the refund as I would be unlikely to visit Shrewsbury again. I also supplied my address for the refund to be sent to.

As I didn't receive a response to this email from the "Guest Assistance Specialist / Advance Purchase Coordinator" , I sent a number of emails thorough November and December 2011.

Eventually, I got an auto generated email saying that this person's email address was no longer valid. He had presumably left the company.

I completed the Customer Care form explaining everything that I have recounted so far on the Hilton site on 31st January 2012 and received an auto response but nothing further.

As I hadn't received any communication from either Hilton or Hampton by Hilton, I sent another email to the manager of the hotel on 26th February 2012 asking him to deal with the issue. i.e. organise the promised refund.

I sent him a further email on 5th march 2012 as I still hadn't received a reply. He then replied saying that he'd forwarded my emails to Hilton Hotels Head Office and Hampton Inns Head Office in the states. They would reply to me directly.

I gave them 2 days to contact me which they didn't.

On 7th March, I emailed the hotel manager again to say that I had not heard from Hilton and as the problems were at his hotel on his watch, I was holding him responsible for dealing with this matter.

He replied saying "This issue is being investigated From what we see at Hampton Inns a refund has been processed by Hilton Hotels. This is currently being investigated Unfortunately I cannot intervene in this matter anymore than I have done".

I completed the Customer Care form a further time. This time there wasn't even an automated response.

So here I am 12 months later, still being given the "brush off" by the hotel manager and completely ignored by Hilton and Hampton by Hilton who do not appear to have an actual complaints department. I have been looking for all this time and not found one.

In addition to the frustration and anger at my treatment at the hands of the hotel groups and specifically the hotel manager, I must stress that the £64 that I was offered and am still waiting for is not even a proper form of compensation. In fact as I spent 5 nights in a Queen room rather than a King, I am entitled to a £50 refund due to the difference in price. That leaves £14.

Now I know that £64 wasn't intended to be a refund plus £14 compensation as the "Guest Assistance Specialist / Advance Purchase Coordinator" probably hadn't realised that I had actually been downgraded in the process of switching rooms. It is just another thorn in my side.

The standard of cleanliness in the three rooms that I was given was dreadful but the treatment that I have received by the staff at the hotel and the Hilton and Hampton by Hilton groups have been an absolute disgrace.

It should go without saying that I shall never stay with Hilton or Hampton by Hilton again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a very modern hotel designed for people with cars. The rooms are spacious and excellent. They're very clean and well designed for the business traveller who I assume probably make up most of their guests as this hotel is located on an industrial estate on the very edge of Shrewsbuey. Equipment includes a well designed support for laptops.

The hotel also caters well for people with mobility problems. Our room had a large shower with a seat and rails. Towels are on the small side.

We stayed on a Saturday night. The following comments are maybe indicative of what this hotel is like at weekends?

Breakfast however is another matter. This is more like a rugby scrum. Here are some of the features I noticed
* tiny space available. When everybody is seated it's virtually impossible to walk across the space. It makes this space inaccessible for people with mobility problems. It's as if it's been designed on the assumption most travellers will have breakfast in their rooms. When they don't, there's a big problem
* sequence of items for breakfast at the self serve bar made no sense to me. I found I was going backwards and forwards to collect items
* very little space to queue for items
* chef was only barely keeping up with the demand for breakfast. Items were running out as was the cutlery
* lots of dirty crockery all over the place. Nobody collecting it

The quality of breakfast was OK - I've had a lot better. Tea was awful. The quality of access to the breakfast was the worst I've ever seen in any hotel of this type.

This would be a hotel I'd recommend but for the breakfast arrangements.

Room Tip: Order your breakfast in your room! I've given 1 star on the "service" rating to reflec...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Typical Hampton by Hilton...Clean, no frills, middle of nowhere, good basic breakfast; but a good place to rest up. Not this hotel. It had everything but the good night sleep. The fundamental was forgotten. Our "King" bed was two cots pushed together.

Honestly, the hotel isn't bad, but the bed was crap. And unfortunately, that wrecks it for me!

Sorry guys, fix the beds and you've got a winner!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here for one night whilst in the area on business. It's not a massive place, located on a business park, making it very convenient for business travellers. The rooms are very well appointed, with a large bad and one of the best showers I've had the pleasure of using.

The bar area was quite cosy, and the beer prices aren't ridiculous either which is good. I also ate there, don't expect to be dazzled by culinary greatness, but it was nice enough and filled a hole at the end of a long day. I didn't have breakfast at this particular branch, however if it's like any of the other H by H's then it's perfectly adequate considering it's included in the price.

My one and only complaint at any of this chain of hotels is the absolutely abysmal internet speed (it has been the same at each one I've stayed at). It's just about fast enough to be completely useless. You can just about browse the internet, but trying to do anything else that might require a slightly faster connection was impossible. I was unable to connect to my company VPN to do some work (hooray some of you must be thinking I'm sure) which on this occasion was a little frustrating for me as I had some urgent emails to respond to. Normally in this instance I would use my mobile internet on my phone as a portable hotspot, but as there was no 3G to be had here either on O2 or Vodafone, that was also out of the question. That in itself isn't the hotel's fault, but having a faster internet connection would have helped massively.

Anyway, as I say that's the only complaint, and a minor one at that really, aside from this they're very nice hotels with comfortable beds.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my partner for a Sept weekend having already stayed 12 months ago. Still excellent value, free buffet breakfast and nice rooms.
Also easier to get to Shrewsbury than you think.If you dont want to drive at night cos you like a nice restaurant and wine, get the X5 bus at top of London rd at 7pm, takes you rt into town. If you come out of hotel and go across little rabout there is a walkway shortcut straight to the stop.
Also useful to drop off from taxi back later cos its a long way round on main rd to ind estate and knocks quids off.
Considering cheap price of hotel its far cheaper than staying in Shrewsbury and location of hotel is great to set off for drives to Luddlow, Ironbridge etc.

Eddie and Christine

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my family and found it to be excellent standard for money . Staff exceeded themselves couldn't do enough. Bed really comfy and huge .Location is not great nothing that near but would definitely stay again the boys enjoyed the breakfast and we all enjoyed the free coffees and hot chocolates from machine in the bar . Late checkout was given at no extra cost nothing was too much for the staff also check in was problem free

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury? Share your experiences!