“Good food, good service, ok prices, bad wine” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 279 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
“Good food, good service, ok prices, bad wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Went here a few weeks ago and the food was really tasty, and the service was very polite and good. We arrived fairly late on a Monday night and still felt very welcome and didn't feel rushed at all. There were a few other tables occupied, including one, large group of about 10 people, which is a good sign on a Monday. Even though there was only one waiter working we still all got enough attention.

I think this place has definitely improved since some of the reviews on here because I was fairly full after just a main. The mains sizes were fine, and the starters I saw going out to other tables looked a fair size too. The only thing was my husband and I planned to share rice and because of the price I thought it would be big enough to share but it wasn't really. I think they get people in because their mains are big and fairly priced, and they make up the money through the sides and drinks.

The wine wasn't really that good for the price paid. We didn't just have the house wine, we spent a bit of time choosing based on the descriptions of the flavours onthe wine menu, and what arrived didn't really match what I had expected.

Overall, I would return though, I would just drink spirits or beer instead of the wine, and remember to order more sides. The food is really yummy though and I think that's the main thing.

Visited July 2013

Yorkshire
“Great Thai food... definitely worth a visit!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Recently visited early doors on Saturday night with my boyfriend.

Be aware there is a few flights of stairs before arriving at the restuarant however do not let this put you off. Although as previously mentioned in other reviews, this could be a problem for some.

Initally there was only us and another couple in the restaurant, however became progressively busier throughout the evening.

Overall, the food was great. We shared several starters (crispy won tons, veg spring rolls and sweetcorn cakes) these were all great and obviously freshly prepared and cooked. For our main meal, we ordered more of the sweetcorn cakes as there were so tasty and shared a thai green curry with chicken and jasmine rice - the curry was packed with chicken.

The atmosphere and service was relaxed, however didn't wait too long to be served or for food or drinks too arrive.

A great Thai restaurant in Shrewsbury and I look forward to my next visit to the Royal Siam!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Englishman on the Move
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were staying in Shrewsbury overnight and had no recommendations on restaurants and we came across the Royal Siam as we wandered around the centre. It is up lots of stairs but worth it. We were attended by whom I assume was the owner as he did everything from welcome us to take our order and serve the meal. We opted for a set menu as it looked to be good value with some interesting dishes and we were not disappointed. The assorted starter dish was good and the main course was a good mix of chicken, beef and prawn. There was more than enough to eat and we enjoyed it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“Really good Thai!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I really enjoy our meals here. Very good menu with lots of choices and the crispy pork pouches they have on the starters menu are amazing, a must have if you go here, trust me you will like them! I've always had good meals here, however be ware they like to use coriander in a lot of the dishes. You can ask for it to be left out and they are happy to do so, I'm not a fan so mine are always served without. Good location within downtown and nice views from the windows looking over the high street.
We always get great service here and I return with my boyfriend very often!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Scotland
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We went as a party of 7 on a Monday night and I don't believe the restaurant was prepared for us. There were long waits between courses and only a solitary waiter / owner covering the floor. Food was okay but wouldn't rush back. We had the £26.95 banquet - there was plenty of food however because it was only average, there was a lot of waste.

• Visited July 2013