“Comfortable room with lovely views” 4 of 5 stars

The Cliffe at Dinham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dinham, Ludlow SY8 2JE, England   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
A TripAdvisor Member
“Comfortable room with lovely views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2006

Having just returned from a lovely weekend at the Cliffe Hotel I did not recognize it from the previous reviewer's comments.

We found it most pleasant; our room was large and comfortable with lovely views and a spacious bathroom. Breakfast was freshly cooked, service was friendly and efficient, and there was plenty of choice. How nice to find somewhere still serving fried bread and to have a large pot of tea and extra hot water.

We did not eat in the restaurant but the Bar was a pleasant place to spend an evening and again the service was friendly and efficient.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to family/friends.

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2006

I spent two nights here, a Saturday and Sunday. The hotel itself is lovely on the outside. A nice red-brick building in beautiful scenery, a ten minute walk from Ludlow.

However, on the inside things are pretty dire. The restaurant and bar serve food and drink as dull as the decor. Very dated and staid. On my first morning the limited but grease-heavy menu allowed little choice. I had the scrambled eggs and toast. This was made with copious amounts of cheddar. Tasted of cheese and not eggs. Stodgy and vile. The toast was fine, so that's all I had for my second breakfast.

As for the room, it was much like the rest of this hotel's interior, with the addition of random furniture. Thick but old carpeted floors, an airwick plug-in freshener in the socket (thankfully a different scent from the one used in the hallway/stairs/landing), 14-inch remote-less TV, etc.

As the hotel was full for the second of the two nights I was charged the full rate: £40 per night for me and £40 per night for the single supplement. €235 ($300) is a lot of money for such a short stay in such a terrible hotel.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2005

I was on a cycling holiday with a friend and arrived at the Cliffe without a booking.

We were very cordially greeted by Reception and then later the Proprietor.

My room, at £40.00 and which included breakfast, was large and most comfortable with a nice view over the front of the hotel. The bed gave me the best night's sleep I had in a couple of days!!

Breakfast was excellent - sorry, but I do like fried bread!! These guys know how to fry a nice bit of bread added to that my special requests for breakfast made it most memorable.

This hotel is just outside Ludlow. Getting to the Hotel, you have to cross a bridge which is very scenic. I am only sorry that they had rooms available for us. Such a nice hotel should be full all the time and not be left at 6.00pm still with rooms available.

If you visit Ludlow, this one is not "top of the range" but absolutely great value for money and I cannot imagine anyone being in the least bit disappointed.

Of particular note was the Breakfast Waitress / Trainee Housekeeper. Most charming and helful.

Been to The Cliffe at Dinham? Share your experiences!