“Slow service but skilled with a microwave!!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Las Iguanas - Sheffield

Las Iguanas - Sheffield
Unit 14 The Plaza, 8 Fitzwilliam St | Fitzwilliam Street, Sheffield S1 4JB, England
+44 114 252 1010
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #123 of 1,122 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Brazilian, Mexican, South American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Walk through the doors of Las Iguanas and find yourself transported to Latin America, full of rich, vibrant colours, quirky features and custom-made wooden mosaic tables made especially for the restaurant from sustainable woods in Brazil. Each restaurant is unique and the staff love bringing unusual things back from their travels, ranging from large lobster sculptures to giant drums. The philosophy of Las Iguanas is to serve delicious and authentic Latin American food and drink in an environment which evokes the very best of Latin life. With recipes dating back to the 16th century, the food successfully fuses native Latin American Indian, Spanish, Portuguese and African influences. Working hard to ensure that everything comes from the best possible source, Las Iguanas is proud of its fresh GM free food and top quality ingredients.
Rotherham
“Slow service but skilled with a microwave!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We’ve been to Las Iguanas several times and the food is generally good but the service is usually poor. However, we use a Tastecard which gives a 50% discount on the food so we can happily live with the shortcomings. Last Sunday was worse than usual though as it took the waiter that long to clear away our starters that the main courses had gone cold by the time they reached our table. We flagged down a waitress and she apologised and sent the food back to the kitchen. A few minutes later, it reappeared, steaming hot, after being zapped by the microwave. Not brilliant but not the end of the world. We also ordered a side of curly fries and when they turned up, they were also cold. We sent those back to the kitchen too and guess what? Yep, they microwaved the curly fries!!! They were pretty disgusting to be honest - soggy and unappetising. A few minutes later, the chef(??) appeared at the bar and we could see the waitress pointing us out to him. He had a good stare and then disappeared back into his kitchen. Maybe he'd gone to polish his microwave?
It was our worst experience yet but it was not enough to put us off. I certainly wouldn't pay full price though!!!

Visited January 2013
Katrina60, Guest Relations Manager at Las Iguanas - Sheffield, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Hi, Thanks very much for your review. We keep a close eye on Trip Advisor because we want to make sure that everyone is having a great time in our restaurants.Really appreciate you leaving your review. It sounds like your visit was not up to our usual standards and I would like to apologise for that. We’d like to look into this a bit more as we want to make sure it doesn't happen again. All of our food is cooked from fresh and I would like the operations manager to contact you to find out a bit more about your visit. I have sent you a private message and hope to hear from you soon. Kind Regards Katrina

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“First visit - definitely not the last”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This was the first time I'd ever been to Las Iguanas and my boyfriend and I were very impressed and left happy and full. Our server was very attentive and friendly, explaining that we'd just caught the happy hour cocktail deal (Cherry fizz = delicious). We were sat in a nice little booth and along with the Latin-style music and lighting it created a good atmosphere with just the right amount of romance for us. Our food was served very quickly, and tasted amazing. We were spoiled for choice with the menu but I finally went for 'the extraordinary xinxim' (chicken and crayfish in a creamy coconut sauce) while my boyfriend had 'feijoada de vaca' (beef and chorizo in red wine sauce) and both were incredibly tasty and generously portioned. 3 courses each + 2 cocktails and a beer only came to £60 which was less than expected and definitely great value for money.
Due to the immense snow fall that has happened over the past few days there weren't as many customers as there should have been for a friday night, yet the atmosphere was still great and it just makes me more keen too go back when it might be more lively.

In summary: excellent atmosphere, food and service and I cannot wait to go back and sample some different dishes!

• Visited January 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“You can't ask for much more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Las Iguanas in Sheffield never really gets it wrong. Everything is as you'd expect, or slightly better.

Good atmosphere - lively, upbeat without being too much or so you can't concentrate on your conversation. The additional events they sometimes do are interesting too.

2 for 1 drinks offers are brill and unusual to find at the times they offer them.

The food is always spot on and what you'd expect - they offer unusual dishes as well as classics, and do them all really well.

The manager and his team are friendly and knowledgeable and will make suggestions without being too corporate.

Prices good for what you get. It's very close to where I live so I can often pop down and grab a table when I need one, or pre-book for large groups, which I have also done.

You always know what you're going to get - the consistency is great. Thank goodness!

• Visited January 2013
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Unexpectedly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I went to Las Iguanas after a trip to the cinema. As a chain restaurant in a mall I wasn't expecting anything special but the staff were lovely and the food was really nice. It was also very reasonably priced.

Visited January 2013
Sheffield
“Amazing Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

On arrival we were made to feel really welcome by Mario, the service was exellent, really attentive & friendly. You definitely get the personal touch.

The food & cocktails are incredible. We've been back over & over celebrated birthdays, anniversarys & had great nights out with friends enjoying pitchers of Iguanan Wanas & Long Island Ice Tea. They also have a cocktail called caiprinha which is made from a south american spirit called cachasa that you have to try.

The Lamb empanadas & calamari are amazing as are the enchiladas & burritos - I've never had a bad meal here, it's always consistant which is great as I've been to some other places, really enjoyed a meal, ordered it again & it's been different & not as good. At Las Iguanas I always get the same great food & know I can expect the same delicious meal time after time.

The atmosphere is fab & they have some great offers.

All in all it's the best restaurant in Sheffield to go to if you like Latino food & want to have an all round good dining experience i.e. Food, serivce, value, taste & atmosphere what ever the occasion be it a night with the girls, a romantic dinner, a family treat or with clients for lunch. Satisfaction guarenteed!

Thanks so much Mario & your team of lovely staff