“Fabulous stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 57 Hotels in Sheffield
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Fabulous stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed on a 2 night superbreak break. Fantastic value for money. Room was huge, 3 course meal included which was excellent. Swimming facilities good, grounds lovely. We had a fantastic weekend and shall use this hotel again. Staff very obliging.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Lorraine L, General Manager at Kenwood Hall, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your comments of both the hotel and the team and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay from your room to your meals and that you were able to take full advantage of both the leisure club and the grounds and felt your break was excellant value for money and would use the hotel again

General Manager Kenwood Hall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

this hotel was booked in advance and didn't disappoint.it served its purpose an overnight stay, The grounds are lovely set in around a lake and beautiful landscaped grounds. There are 114 bedrooms, but ours was on the ground floor, and could have done with a bit of refurbishment of the windows which were past the point of paint, they were wooden and plastic would have been better. the large room was comfortable and had an enormous bed tv needed replacing too. We booked breakfast too and it was ok but the room I thought wasn't worth £84 and the view from the bedroom wasn't overlooking anything spectaculer. the only thing we liked was the position close where we wanted to be. to greystones public house for a gig.

Room Tip: state whether you want a room with a view, its bit of a maze it is a quiet location, taxis are avail...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lorraine L, General Manager at Kenwood Hall, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for your overall comments of the hotel and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you stated the hotel is set in lovely grounds overlooking the lake and gardens however unfortunately not all of our rooms are located with these views.
All of our Suites and Deluxe rooms however do have rooms overlooking the grounds or the lake

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed one night through a groupon voucher which was extremely good value at £85 including champagne, dinner and breakfast included. The menu was quite limited but the food was still tasty. Our room was quite standard however the leisure club and the pretty garden including a lake made up for this. There was a fire alarm during our stay which turned out to be false. This was dealt with very fast and we had a letter posted through our door just hours later explaining the problem. Overall, the hotel was pretty and a great value for money.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Foreword: Having read many reviews that normally point to small imperfections in decoration or the expense of a hotel, I tend to not take them too seriously. Its easy to find fault when you are looking for it, and “value for money” is very subjective. I have however had to address these two topics in this review, so I hope who reads this understands that I am not in the habit of finding fault, for faults sake.

It never dawned on me how at the mercy of a hotel you are on a busy evening, when you have travelled more than a couple of hours and have an appointment you have to make with no room for sourcing alternative accommodation. This has been a truly humbling experience, as no amount of money thrown at this, could have dug me out of the hole I found my self in.

On arrival at the hotel, all looks well. It’s a beautiful building, impressive gates and a good car park. The lobby is fine, the interior does start to show it’s a bit dated in its décor but that’s not unusual. Unfortunately this is where it all starts to go horribly wrong.
I had done my homework, ignored some of the negative comments on Trip Advisor as being overly pedantic and penny pinching. (they are all correct incidentally) and when I called to book, instead of getting through to their reception ,their phone was re routed to Essential Hotels. Essential Hotels are entirely blameless in all of this and I will be using them again!

(anyone wanting the full story by all means contact me) the room I went to great painstaking detail to arrange with the hotel via Essential Hotels, was not what I was given. When I brought this to the hotels attention I was first dismissed, then told they were full and nothing could be done and then finally an under manager sought. He first of all repeated everything the receptionist said, when I explained that this was miss selling, he ushered us away from the reception to discuss it further. I noted that the corners of his mouth kept curling as if suppressing a smile. He kept repeating the same phrase over and over about resolving the issue, yet initially offered no resolution. Not being the room we booked I asked for a discount, he refused, then agreed, went off to find a manager, came back and then denied offering us a discount and that his manager had just left. After an hour of bickering and my impending appointment getting ever nearer he seemed keen for us to change hotels, which I had no time to do so. He offered a junior suite for one night, followed 2 more room changes as we were booked for 3 nights. In the mean time, Essential Hotels had been contacted as they were being blamed for the room we were given (this was incorrect) they were told a different story that we had turned down the correct room. Lies on lies and we took the room available as we had no choice. We were given a new room key, the junior suite was very large, massive patio over looking the lake. It was however in dire need of a refurbishment. Next day when we went to see about our room changes and were told that “house keeping” had managed to keep us in the same room for the next 2 nights. This was done without updating our room key card. I am in no doubt that Essentials hotels who worked tirelessly on our part, managed to arrange this. Pool and steam room were good enough. We did order room service once, I wouldn’t recommend it.(terrible food and over priced)
A lot of the problems with the hotel, could have been easily over looked had the customer service not just have been so non existent, but unnecessarily corrupt. This is the first bad review I have ever had to write, still stunned and confused by it all.

Room Tip: Make sure you call a couple of times and speak to the hotel direct to see that notes on what you nee...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Enjoyed a 2 day break over the weekend via Groupon. The large room with large double bed and bathroom was "tired" but was clean and bed comfortable. The television was distinctly "off colour". We were in the old part of the hotel with creaky floors and noisy fire doors. More to do with noisy guests!!!
I consider these minor points.
The staff were very friendly and reception staff helpful about the local area. The breakfast was excellent. The drinks and evening meals are "hotel" prices but the drinks were enjoyed on a delightful patio with great view of the lake and grounds.
The lake and gardens are well laid out and are very attractive part of the hotel ambiance.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking garden and rooms in new part of hotel. 20 minute walk downhill all way to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your break with us
Whilst the hotel is not modern and purpose built I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, you thought the hotel clean and value for money and were able to take full advantage of the grounds and views with a relaxing drink on the patio.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic weekend at Kenwood Hall. We booked two rooms, these were larger than average and very comfortable. Very clean hotel set in fantastic surroundings. The staff were very friendly and food to a high standard.
We look forward to visiting again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Lorraine L, General Manager at Kenwood Hall, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and for the comments regarding both the team and the food

West midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed Saturday 22nd on a Goupon deal, which was excellent value for money Bed/breakfast evening meal and bottle of champagne in room. It will be our Ruby wedding anniversary this week so we had a tray of brownies complete with strawberry on the top and "congratulations" written in chocolate delivered to our room, which was a lovely touch, all the staff were first class we couldn't be upgraded as the hotel was full, but our room although on the ground floor was very spacious. Evening meal was very good as was the buffet breakfast and the grounds and Nature Trail are lovely to walk through when it is not raining. TV's are being up dated this is a most, yes Wifi is only 30 mins,free so what. The only thing I would mention being on the ground floor, people can see you and you need to keep the blinds drawn early morning , or get some nets fitted.

Room Tip: We had room 217 on the ground floor, but was spacious pity about the telly !!! 5 channels
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your Ruby Wedding Anniversary with us and that we were able to make it special for you

The hotel is not modern and purpose built and although the TV'S are a little dated I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the stunning views of the lake and take the opportunity of walking in our grounds and the Nature Trail

General Manager Kenwood Hall

Been to Kenwood Hall? Share your experiences!