“Far from 4 stars” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 57 Hotels in Sheffield
West Kingston, Rhode Island
“Far from 4 stars”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The first thing I look for in a hotel is how clean it is, and this one wasn't. The grout in the bathroom had mold on it, and I walked around the room with bare feet and my feet were sticky. If I notice these two things, I wonder how many other things I didn't, Also, as mentioned in other reviews, the free internet is ridiculous. You get to log on for 30 minutes, then have to re-log on again to get another 30 free minutes. What is the point of this, just to piss off everyone that's using it. Just add 4 pounds onto the rate, and be done with it. Along with this the TV only got 6 stations, where is the cable. Also, the balcony door in my room wouldn't shut properly, every time the hall door was opened the balcony door would open slightly. Lastly, the beds were hard with very thin pillows, not a great combination for me and led to a bad night sleep. I think if you had one of the above it wouldn't be a four star hotel, let alone all the ones I listed. Maybe 10 years ago this was nice, but I wouldn't stay here again unless I was forced to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Lorraine L, General Manager at Kenwood Hall, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments although a little surprised with some of your feedback

We do not advertise that the hotel is modern and purpose built nor does it have flat screen TV'S with numerous Channels.
The WI-FI is free and does automatically stop after 30 minutes although as explained at reception all you need to do it re-input your code for a further browsing

Lorraine Lockwood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We've been here several times now, and wouldn't go any where else in Sheffield. Beautiful location, friendly staff, not much more expensive than a Travelodge or similar. It could do with a bit of TLC, some of the facilities and rooms are getting a bit tired, but still really good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the grounds rather than the front.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you keep returning to the hotel and feel that it is value for money

We have had 18 bedrooms refurbished at the beginning of the year and are continuing to decorate internally both bedroom corridors, bedrooms and some of the public areas

Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were on our way to Scotland and broke the journey with two nights in Sheffield. The hotel is well situated being close to Sheffield city centre and the Peak District with towns like Bakewell a short drive away. The hotel is set in 12 acres overlooking a beautiful lake and has conference and business facilities. There is also a health club including a heated indoor swimming pool, spa, gym etc which is free for residents. Breakfast was buffet style which I am not keen on but the quality of the food was very good. The bookings were made online via late rooms and the cost little more than one would pay for a budget hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lorraine L, General Manager at Kenwood Hall, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us
The hotel is set within 11 acres of grounds, overlooking the lake which is ideal for both business and leisure customers as it allows you sit back and relax whilst only 5 minutes away from the busy city centre

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The location of the hotel is excellent, just a 2 minute drive from the Sheffield inner ring road and once in the hotel you'd never know just how close to the city you are. The hotel is set in grounds that make you feel like you're in the middle of the countryside - trees, lawns and a lake.

I stayed in an Executive room with a patio door with its own patio looking towards a lake. Getting my heavy luggage from reception to the room was a big problem as there was no lift access to the area where my room was (and no porter service to help either). The room was large but very out-dated with an old-style TV, hardly any power sockets and no fridge (I had to get buckets of ice from the bar). For a room that is supposed to appeal to business users it badly needs updating. The bathroom was large but the shower (fixed to the wall) could have been far better.

I had dinner in the restaurant and I cannot fault the food which is far better than you expect it to be. The wine prices are extremely expensive so best to get a drink from the bar first! The decor in the restaurant needs updating to make it suit the quality of the food.

Upon arrival I discovered that the "free wi-fi" advertised is very limited and that you really need to get a wi-fi access card from reception, though once you have it, it works.

The reception staff were always excellent and individually all were good but there seems to be a lack of training and there wasn't that "can-do" service-with-a-smile attitude you expect from a four-star hotel, for example, the restaurant seemed under-staffed with waiting staff running the front desk of the restaurant and the bar as well as waiting tables. It's as if someone who runs hotels but doesn't stay in them thinks you can cut staffing costs by having waiting staff doing three jobs at once and still claim to be a four star establishment. This leads to weaker service - customers waiting, bread rolls handed out without butter and so forth. There was none of that smooth, confident customer service you expect in a four star hotel, and it lets down the food.

Kenwood Hall is directly competing with the DoubleTree in Sheffield for four-star business customers and I have to say that they're losing the battle. DoubleTree hotels are setting a standard for four-star service that other hotels like Kenwood Hall are not coming close to matching, yet the potential for this hotel is massive being in the location it's in and in the setting it has.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are a very long way from the reception area and step-free access to some of the ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments.
The hotel is set within its own grounds overlooking the lake just a short drive from the city centre as you state in your comments giving you the feel of staying in the countryside

I apologise that you were not offered help with your luggage, whilst we do not have porters on duty we have plenty of team members who are available to assist guests with luggage - Unfortunately as you had a room with a lake view it is not close to the main hotel reception

I had passed your overall feedback to the team in order for them to address some of your comments with further training in areas

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I booked 2 rooms in this hotel for Friday night. I was travelling with my husband and my 3 children whom I booked for a triple bed accommodation. I was shocked when they allocated the rooms, they put us in the main building while my children was in a family room in the other side of the hotel. I was not expecting this, as common sense suggest, we don't really appreciate to be that far from the kids. After negotiation with the receptionist she transferred us to slightly nearer room. The family room where my kids stayed (apparently the best room in the building) rather looks tired and needs a lot of improvement. The refrigerator was disgusting (dirty and stained) and partly broken.
We booked for dinner at 19:45, I asked the reception if I can put it later at 20:00 instead but she said the restaurant is fully booked and they cannot make any adjustment but to my amazement the restaurant was half empty throughout the night. We ordered a bottle of wine and the waitress opened the bottle very near in my face and some of the wine spritz into my face. The waitress never take notice of it, until my husband told her that you splash my wife with wine on the face. The waitress did not reacted to this nor apologise instead she said 'ohh' and left our table.
The food is rather average and I am wondering how they got 4 stars on this hotel. Breakfast sort of alright, but rather on a 3 star standard. Sauna, swimming pool and the gym rather small. The best part of this hotel is the grounds, the lake was so beautiful and the surrounding greenery is simply magnificent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and I apologise that you were let down in some areas during your stay. I have passed on your comments to the various managers of those areas for further training.

Florida City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We wanted a hotel that was central to Sheffield and had a pool. This hotel has them both. The room was comfortable but a little dated which really didn't matter as it was clean with lovely views over the lake. We had included breakfast which was buffet style. Reasonable choice of food, staff very helpful. After breakfast we decided to try the pool but on checking it out it wasn't very big yet still went in. So pleased we did as it was so warm, my daughter loved it as did we. It also had a jacuzzi, sauna and steam room which were All fab. Overall we had a very pleasant time and we would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and was able to make full use of the hotel facilities
As you said the hotel is set in 11 acres of its own grounds with lovely views overlooking the lake just a short drive away from the busy city centre of Sheffield

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This hotel is set in lovely picturesque grounds and is certainly an ideal venue for a wedding. Whilst the rooms are very clean and can also be very spacious (depending on allocation) the place is getting just a little bit 'tired' and ready for refurbishment in places. The biggest disappointment was in the level of service and the food in the restaurant. We arrived on Friday afternoon and booked a table (for 4) in the restaurant for 2015hrs. We were allocated a table on time but it then took 35 minutes to be served our first course. After half an hour we had to ask twice for bread rolls and also remind the waitress that we had ordered drinks when we first sat down at the table. They finally arrived at the same time as our food.

The food itself was somewhat mediocre and very disappointing for a 4 * Hotel. I have had far better and tastier fare in a J D Weatherspoon pub.

Breakfast however was very good. With a superb selection of fruits as well as a comprehensive hot and cold buffet. Interesting that there appeared to be more staff servicing the breakfast buffet than waiting on the night before in the restaurant.

In summary - a bit of a curate's egg - more 3* than 4

Room Tip: Roms vary substantially in size so ask for a 'larger' one
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments and I apologise that we did not meet your expectations
The hotel is not modern and purpose built although it is set in 11 acres of picturesque grounds overlooking the lake just 5 minutes drive for the busy city centre of Sheffield

I have passed on your comments about the dinner service to both the restaurant manager and the Head Chef and I am pleased that we were able to somewhat redeem ourselves and create the right impression at breakfast

General Manager Kenwood Hall

Been to Kenwood Hall? Share your experiences!