“Absolutely Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 57 Hotels in Sheffield
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed at the Kenwood Lodge Hotel on Monday 4th February as a last minute overnight break, we booked a Junior Suite and were very impressed with both the room (size and amenities) and the reception staff (espectially Holly who took care of us all week) on our arrival .

Parking is plentifull and Free as is WIFI access.

The room itself was extremely large and well equipped, incorporating a fridge and in addition to the Radiator and air conditioning there was a small mobile oil fired fired electric radiator. which was very handy.

Work desk, Free internet access, lounge area with 2 armchairs and 3 seater settee, en-suite spacious bathroom with both bath and shower. (lot's of shelving is a good feature of the bathrooms)

The best feature was the private balconey overlooking the lake that is located in the 2 acres of park that is the hotel grounds. (5 rooms have private balconies and a further 4 rooms have french windows opening directly onto the gardens and lake (ideal for people with dogs which are accepted for a small fee).

Bedding was excellent with extra pillows in the room for those that need them.

The room was immaculately clean as was all the hotel.

Dressing gowns were supplied in the Junior Suites and Executive rooms.

We availaed ourself of the excellent facilities in the leisure area, swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and well equipped gym.

We enjoyed our night so much that we booked in for a 2nd night asking to see an executive room, this was also very large and had a 4 poster bed which was a must have for us so we took the slightly cheaper option of staying in that room, the only notable difference between the executive room and the junior suite was a slighty smaller size and no fridge (houskeeping did say we could request a fridge at reception)

The room still had the private balconey, en-suite bath and shower.

Again really impressed and stayed in that room for a further 3 nights.

On our final night (Friday) the hotel was very busy and we booked a standard room, just as impressed as we had been with the other rooms and the only notable difference was size (still totally adequate) bathroom facilities were the same as the other rooms but of course no dressing gowns as is to be expected.

The private balconies are a big plus to paying the extra for executive and suite rooms (especially for smokers) but all the rooms are clean, well equipped and lovely.

Housekeeping staff are pleasant, efficient and keen to help (especially the lady that took care of rooms around 231, 237 and 238 that we stayed in.

Breakfast is hot, with the range of options you would expect (eat all you can, cooked english, cereals, preserves, pastries, fresh fruit etc)

The restaurant staff are very ameniable and good at making sure the buffet is well stocked.

The 2 acres of garden are set as gardens, lawn, lake, and wilderness for all tastes, lot's of "photo set areas" for wedding pics.

A standard room was available for as little as £39 per night (breakfast extra) when we stayed though a 2 night booking is required for that rate on standard rooms only.

Now bear in mind that 2 weeks before we reviewed a Travelodge that cost £31 per night (breakfast extra) but also £14 for overnight parking and no Free internet in rooms making Travelodge more expensive without the leisure facilities and luxury.

Eating in the restaurant, room service and the bar were very expensive with a burger costing as much as £15 and a single bacardi/coke costing £4.40 (breakfast was very reasonably priced). there were some 2 course package deals available on evening meals when booked on site.

Half a mile away in St Marys Gate there are a couple of good Chinese Restaurants and a number of takeways (recommend Chinos for VFM but advise NOT to use Kebash next door but one to one of the Chinos), there is also a small Sainsburys, Aldi and Subway there.

BUT now the downside, small but important points, On day one the TV signal in the room was limited to a couple of channels that were very bad picture quality, on day 2 there were no TV channels available at all, this was fixed on day 3 but the TV's are far too old with bad sound quality, those big old 18-20 inch monstrosities have no place in this beautifull hotel, you really do need to upgrade to some modern flat screen TVs.

Secondly, the staff in leisure need a shake up, for the first two days Reception had a sign saying "Jacuzzi Out of Order" but it wasn't it worked perfectly, keep the reception staff informed, the changing room used towel bins were constantly overflowing (we used the facilities 3-4 times a day) the bag dispenser for wet bathing costumes was often empty, sometimes the steam room smelt of eucalyptus sometimes it didn't eucalyptus is nicer than sweat. other guests (I think they were health club members not residents) told us that the leisure area is rarely clean.

When we were there a member of the leisure club arrived, unfortunatley for the poor guy he is suffering from some form of skin problem and not only had open wounds all over his body some of the wounds were actively bleeding when he used the pool, jacuzzi and Steam room, you CANNOT permit him to use the facilities in that condition. Thankfully being qualified in Jacuzzi and pool maintenance from Aston University I knew what period to leave before we used the facilities allowing sufficient time for the self cleaning process to work (half an hour was enough) in all the times we used the leisure facilities we rarely saw any staff whatsoever.

That said we are already planning a return to the hotel and rate it 5* value for money.

Room Tip: Executive rooms best balconies 237 and 239, Junior suite 239, standard rooms around 231 are not far...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lorraine L, General Manager at Kenwood Hall, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your extensive and detailed review of the hotel and I apologise that in some areas we let ourselves down during your stay

We have recently had a problem with the TV connection and aerial which has subsquently been replaced and as you stated resolved during your stay.
Unfortunatley not all of our bedrooms come equipped with modern flat screen TV'S, however we have recently had 18 bedrooms refubished which now have the flat screen digital TV access

I thank you for drawing your points to my attention regarding the leisure team as this is disappointing however this will enable me to address accordingly

kind regards

General Manager Kenwood Hall Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at Kenwood Hall on the 8th of December as we were visiting Chatsworth, Bakewell and Hardwick Hall and we got this for a fabulous price.
We paid around £85.00 for two and that included a really good breakfast, 3 course evening meal and a couple of glasses of wine. When we arrived we had been allocated one of the Bridal suites and so had a four poster bed and Jacuzzi bath which was a fabulous surprise.
Rooms are very dated and really need sprucing up but the view across the gardens from huge nearly floor length windows was beautiful and the bed was very comfortable.
We stayed on a very cold but bright December weekend and the rooms were so hot we had to sleep with the window open and the fan on!
There was a Christmas party on downstairs and they did warn us that we may hear some noise but we had no problems.
The hotel is huge and not very luxurious in bar and restaurant areas, it is quite functional but the food was very good and with the package we got it was superb value for money.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lorraine L, General Manager at Kenwood Hall, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your value for money break with us. Whilst the hotel is not modern and purpose built it does have a more traditional feel sent in 11 acres of its own grounds a tranquil setting away from the noise of the city

The Bar and Restaurant areas have a more modern open plan feel with the new stylish Tempus Restaurant Menu

I am pleased that you thought the food good and your overall package value for money

kind regards

Brighouse, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked a very late deal to celebrate our 10 year anniversary of being together. We wanted to stay for a weekend somewhere that wasn't too far away from home. The hotel itself is beautiful, especially the older side of the house. Our room was one of the ones upstairs, and although it was very large in size, it did look very dated. This was disappointing but for the price we paid for 2 nights we couldn't really argue. It had a nice sofa area with a table, but generally the room was quite shabby at places, but I suspect that is because the room is very rarely used. The hot water from the bath was dirty which meant we couldn't have a bath, and instead we used the shower. On checking out, the gentleman didn't ask how our stay was, but I did feedback that the water in the bath from the taps was dirty. He said that this was normal because the room had not been used in a while and that we should have let them know then so they could've give us the advice to leave the tap running for 20 minutes! Needless to say we had tried that but we couldn't be bothered saying anything otherwise.

Food wise, we didn't venture out of the hotel. Breakfast was satisfying, with a good selection of hot food buffet and cereals etc. The afternoon tea was lovely, with some nice finger sandwiches and cakes, yum! Dinner was okay, nothing too amazing but generally a nice meal.

Not sure whether or not we'd stay there again, the grounds outside are beautiful, but maybe we just were unlucky and were allocated one of the dated rooms.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and I apologise that the water did not appear clean during your stay at the hotel. I am a little surprised with the reaction of the team member as we do have a high occupancy within the hotel and all rooms are often used
We did however have a problem at the time with the water which once higlighted to us has been subsquently resolved

Whilst we are not a modern and purpose built hotel we have in January had a fifth of the bedrooms updated and refurbished which would possibly suit your tastes better as the rooms in the older part of the house do reflect the age and style of the building

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Room freezing on arrival, due to radiator being tuned off. Took several hours to come up to temperature.

TV was ancient CRT 4:3 screen, squishing the 16:9 image to fit. Channels listed in the room guide were missing - eg Sky Sports 1 - and no national radio channels.

Room fine; food nice, but nothing special at the price. Staff friendly.

Too many failings for a glowing report. Business paying; had I been, would not have been happy. Travelodge can give you a rapidly warming room and an LCD screen and a decent bed at £25 a night.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and I apologise that we did not meet your expectations
Whilst we are not modern and purpose built the age and style of the decor does reflect the surroundings. I can only apologise that the radiator valve had been turned low within your bedroom which subsquently took a little while to heat. Had you brought that to our attention at the time we could have provided you with an additional heater to help speed up the process

We do not advertise that we have flat screen TV however we have recently had a fifth of the bedrooms refurbished which includes Digital TV and a more modern feel to the bedroom.

northumberland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Lovely looking hotel and grounds. Reception book in was really good, very pleasant receptionist on the desk. Room was ok, but bathroom seriously needed some attention. The food in the Hotel was not good at all. 2 of our chairs were broken at a table of 4. Waitress changed them when we told them. The menu was not good and left a lot to be desired. It was really expensive for what we got. Breakfast was really bad, waiter service was best done by my husband who had to clear the table so that we could have room on our table to eat. Breakfast was not good. Fruit juice was just unbelievable, it was terrible and fruit salad not good either. Food was warm, certainly not hot. Food and especially drinks very expensive. Staff very pleasant, but this Hotel really does need to look at what they are giving for the prices they charge. I have just read this out to my husband who said " I feel you have been generous to the Kenwood, because the food was disgusting.
The Hotel is really handy for Sheffield area, and you feel that you are out in the country but in reality so close to city centre.
Come on Kenwood, sort these problems out, really not a big deal..
I wrote to the head office telling them my thoughts that was 4 days ago and as yet NO REPLY

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

After a bit of trouble with snow in the car park thoroughly enjoyed the rest of our stay - never stopped in a hotel room as big - breakfast was lovely - only standard room so a few bits and bobs that could have done with sorting but for what we paid can't grumble at all - 3rd time we have stopped here as prefer the kenwood than town centre hotels

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Smiling as I looked down over the sprawling driveway,( the previous argument with my partner over the gps already long forgotten) I once again stumbled upon the site of the very lovely kenwood hall hotel. A second visit, booked as a Christmas present by my partner to myself, I will admit I was starting to feel anxious as the last stay I thought could never be beaten... How glad I am to say I was wrong!
After a very friendly and efficient check in, we walked along what seemed a maze to our room (again, I'm useless with directions, luckily he's great) giving the feeling of blissful seclusion. Upon walking into the room, I could only look on in wonderment... A huge four post bed stood before me, totally inkeeping with the grandeur of what I can only assume was the room of a princess in the days gone by! Stepping outside onto my balcony, looking over the amazing view, I felt a million miles away from Sheffield.
Once again kenwood hall thank you for a wonderfully romantic stay, and for making me a lady of the manor once again.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Kenwood Hall? Share your experiences!