“A pre-theatre treat” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Doncaster
“A pre-theatre treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We went to Mama's again before our visit to the Crucible Studio Theatre and were not disappointed. It is not plush but has a quirky atmosphere, freshly prepared food with prompt and friendly service. It tends to get busy at this time so we always book, including next week when we are going with another couple. We shared a starter of Breaded Scampi and the waitress, unprompted, brought us an extra side plate.
My wife had her favourite Chicken Tika with Jacket Potato and I had a very nice Tagliatelli. we shared a half-litre of Merlot with a bottle of sparkling water and I was persuaded to have the lion's share of the Plum Tart on the specials board, very tasty but perhaps not good for the waistline.
The total bill, which was brought with the dessert as we requested, was under £45 which is very reasonable. I hope it is all as good next week.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Share, share, share!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Every now and then you come across a gem and this place certainly is one!

It might not have the most authentic Italian food on it's menu, Chicken Tikka is an example of what you will find, but what they serve is good honest un-pretentious food, tasty and filling.

The staff were can only be described as 'Luverly' or friendly and efficient if you prefer. We asked for one desert and the waitress bought three spoons with it, now that is service.

The portions should carry a health warning. The three of us could have shared one portion of ribs as a starter between us. I think there was four ribs in my bowl, but they must have come from the biggest pig in the world. In my opinion the sauce (or gravy) could have been richer, but the ribs just fell apart when I stuck my fork in. I'm sorry to say I was greedy and ate the lot, which meant I was stuffed by the time the mains arrived about thirty seconds after the starters were cleared (we did arrive rather late on a Friday night). I could just about eat half of my Cannelloni, which was to be fair 'nice' again I think the sauce just lacked something.

The other health warning must be given to the plates, bring your own oven mitts!

If your tired of the chains and want good honest food which is good value for money and most of all filling, served by some of the friendliest staff, look no further than here!

As I say we walked in at nearly nine P.M. on a wet Friday night and was seated without fuss in a fairly busy place it was exactly what we wanted after a 200 mile drive.

We would recommend this place as long as you are not expecting the polish you get with some Italian restaurants these days.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

went a couple of weeks ago. it was a spur of the moment decision. we went in and were seated straight away. our food was cooked and sen out within 10 minutes. the service and food were really great. would recommend to anyone.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Came here in a large group (nearly twenty of us) for a hen do which had been booked weeks in advanced. Arrived and they could not sit us all on one table which was ridiculous as we could clearly see that this could of been easily organised if they had put a tiny bit of effort into planning this. We all ended up squashed on one table as we wanted to sit together, and they had had weeks to sort this.

Food was nice, I had the home made chicken, mushroom and spinach tagliatelle. I had this accompanied with a glass of wine, unfortunately my first choice was unavailable so had to pick a different one. Both were reasonably priced. Other people enjoyed their meals and they had gluten free options which is good, as this was a requirement for one of our party.

Overall, the food was nice, but nothing special, and the lack of organisation really let them down. I have wanted to try this restaurant for a while now, and left feeling pretty disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Same old same old”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

First visited in early 80s .Visited latley the place looks the same .food ok but I think the place and menu needs updating .

• Visited May 2013