“Very good food and service in a cosy surrounding” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 1,116 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Award Winning Italian Fine Dining Restaurant with a great atmosphere and a beautiful 'Al Fresco' Dining area over looking the park.
Sheffield
“Very good food and service in a cosy surrounding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

Went there for the first time this week. Very impressed with the food. We ordered from the set menu so didn't feel we were paying over the odds. Service was very good as well. Only disappointment was the cappacino which was a bit weak but overall was not disappointed and would definately recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Terrible customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

Visited 6/3/2010, A party of 4, it was for my other half's birthday.

I have been to Milanos several times and usually find it very good, however on this occasion, it was terrible.

Everything started out OK, until after half way through my starter I discovered an insect in my food (alive). I called the waiter over and pointed out the offending bug, I've never seen a plate moved so quickly. The waiter came back about 5 minutes later and said I could have my starter for free! Big deal. The other 3 members of our party stopped eating as soon as they saw what was crawling in my food.

I informed the waiter we would think about whether we wished to continue with our meal, he shrugged his shoulders, he couldn't have cared less. I asked to see the owner a Marco, apparantley he was too busy to see me. I pointed out to the waiter that insects in food served in his establishment should be taken seriously.

Enter Marco's sister, she explained they had lots of problems with insects especially on our table? I pointed out that it was a very high ceiling and that the said insect would have probably needed a parachute to get down. She then said, the place was near woods, so insects should be expected. At this point I felt they were taking the p***.

Eventually happy Marco turns up fand offers free starters for everyone. We decided not to continue with the meal, the way we were dealt with was a disgrace to good customer service practices.

On leaving one of our party put her head into the kitchen, there she sees Marco cuddling a dog (in the kitchen) he explained it wasn't his dog, it was a customers! Thats OK then.

Overall, horrendous customer service, over priced nothing special food. Milanos has been living on a past reputation for too long now, it's an average Italian with some very interesting kitchen inhabitants. Reported to enviromental health department for follow up.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bagonki, OWNER at Marco at Milano, responded to this review, March 10, 2010
Myself, entire staff and other diners were appalled by your behaviour and overreaction to a lady bird flying onto one of your plates as you were finishing your starters .
In response to your comment stating that a manager refused to see you , this is false, as both my front of house managers came to your table , apologised and informed you that you would not be charged for the starters .
However our gesture was then met by abuse on several occasions from your party " i don't have to listen to this s**t ", " go away from our table you`re only a waitress".
These statements were confirmed to be true by other diners present. I can assure you that if i had been aware of the comments at the time you would have been asked to leave the restaurant immediately. Regardless of the rude remarks my manager then asked if you would like to continue with the meal.
You then asked to see myself (chef owner not manager) i immediately came out of the kitchen only to be told "bottom bar now". This confirmed to me i was dealing with extremely rude people. we then had a brief conversation , in which you gave me the impression that you would have continued the meal if it had all been on the house , making it clear that neither the customer service nor the insect was the issue at all. However, i did not feel this was reasonable. You then left without being charged for anything. About gucci my yorkshire terrier i had finished work and one of my clients asked if she could see him in the lounge not in the kitchen. I made my kids watch pinocchjo when they were five , I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS FILM TO YOU !
sheffield
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

I recently visited Marco's with my husband. I have been wanting to dine here for a while and was looking forward to it. We decided to do the italian thing (as it was an Italian restaurant) and have antipasti course followed by a pasta course then a main. There was some confusion and all 3 'starters' were served at once which was annoying. I personally thought it would have been obvious that we wanted the dishes served seperately and we had ordered the antipasti as a course to share to be followed by a pasta course. The waiter said that he had asked us if we wanted all three at the same time and we had answered 'yes'. I don't remember him asking us that question, and if he had, we wouldn't have said 'yes'. Anyway. This was a treat and I was not going to kick up a fuss about the order that the meal was to be served. At the end of the day the antipasti was a selection of meats and they could wait until we had finished our pasta - which was delicious and immediately took our mind off the mix up.

I had linguine with crab, seabass and prawns. It was divine! The pasta was cooked well and nicely al dente and the dish was very flavoursome. My husband had pasta with fillet steak and a chianti/chili/onion sauce. It was very rich and again well cooked.

Back to the antipasti(!!!!!!!!!!!). The meat selection was stunning. The bresaola (assuming it was bresaola) was the best I ever had. There was also cheese, pickled veg, olive tepenade. No bread. We hadn't been asked if we wanted bread and I had expected some to be served with the antipasti. In all fairness, I do tend to snack on the bread and fill myself up before starting the meal and so it is probably for the best that they didn't serve bread, but I don't think this is the point!

Mains - I had fillet steak with with taleggio Cheese melt and Parma ham. It was in a sauce of sweet peppers which wasn't to my liking but it wasn't strong enough to ruin the dish for me. The steak was good - not great. It was cooked to my liking (rare) but was a very light pink and not the deep dark red that you wold normally expect from a good piece of meat. It was tasty though and tender, just I have had better. My husband had venison which was also cooked rare. That looked good - nice and red and was tasty too. It was served with a chestnut and wild mushroom sauce which was gorgeous and I wish I had gone with the venison instead of the steak! Mains were served with roast potatoes (they were ok, but mine are better!), peas (ok) and caramalised carrots (nice).

Desserts - I had white chocolate cheesecake with chili. The chili just gave a slight tingle and the dish was excellent. My husband had creme brulee with a spiced apple sorbet. He was happy enough and the sorbet was the highlight for him. Our desserts looked so good that neighbouring diners copied us and ordered the same!

Drinks - we had Piemonte Barbera which took a bit of getting into, but once I had half a glass or so, I began to really enjoy it. It was a very full wine. We then had a dessert wine (Morsi di Luce, Moscato di Pantelleria) with dessert which was very nice. I have only recently started having dessert wine and I am enjoying learning about them!!! We also had a bottle of still water.

So.... the food was good - it was a shame that the steak wasn't better. We spent £130 which is what I expected to spend, but you would expect a little extra for this amount.... free olives/bread perhaps?

The service was on and off depending on who we were dealing with (and in fact the sheer number of waiting staff probably adds to the problem). We had individuals taking orders and bringing us food and we also had a waitress (who was lovely) over seeing the whole room and attending to us all. So 3/5 is given for service mainly because of the mix up regarding the antipasti and the lack of bread. Bread should always be free!

The atmosphere was peculiar. A mixture of people including young couples who obviously don't eat out that much, older couples, people dressed down (including us!) and people dressed up in party frocks. There was, unfortunately, a very loud couple sat near us. The guy was pretty full of himself and was talking loudly about the amount of times he had been there etc. He was swigging peroni and stuffing his face with his food, whilst his dolly bird wife/girlfriend lapped him up and sat looking pretty. Maybe I am a snob, but having a bit of money doesn't mean that you have any table manners and this couple did not have any. He was just annoying and it seems that the restaurant has become the place to go for this kind of crowd.

Will I go back? Probably, but I will not order antipasti and I will make sure I order bread. The food was good, but you can find equally as good food in Sheffield and get better service and a nicer atmosphere. The overall 4/5 score is given mainly because of the quality of the food.

There is the option of a fixed price menu - about £24 for 3 courses which looks good value for money, but it isn't a particularly exciting menu.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“OK.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

Been to Marco's twice now. Thought the second visit would be an improvement. It wasn't. It's a classy place, the service is professional and courteous. The food is OK. But not £105 for 2 people OK. The dining room has a high ceiling and is stone walled. the stone sucks the heat from your body which we found when visiting in March. Very chilly dining experience.

What is it with these so called 'fine dining' restaurants in Sheffield at the moment? There's a recession in full flow at the moment and places like Marco's are serving OK food at stupidly expensive prices. IT'S GOT TO BE BETTER THAN OK!! There's obviously still a rich tier of people willing to pay for the 'badge', dining out with friends at these highly acclaimed restaurants. There surely must be some element of truth in these claims but 2 visits for me at over £100 each is enough to have my fingers well and truly burnt.

Try Kito's on Woodseats or any of the Italians in Sheffield's newly refurbished city centre to get a much better deal on your dining experience.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sheffield UK
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

We have always really enjoyed our visits (this week was our 4th). We cannot fault the food, service or atmosphere.
The only tiny, tiny gripe is that there is limited parking.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere