“Kitch but tasty!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 1,161 Restaurants in Sheffield
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Entertaining clients, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Opened in 1994 and now under the ownerships of Manager Alistair Myers and Chef Tom Lawson Rafters has long been accepted as one of Sheffield's finest restaurants. The combination of the highly skilled & creative cooking of Tom and the kitchen team partnered with the knowledgeable, friendly and relaxed service of Alistair and the front of house team partners to make the best dining experience possible. Both brought up locally Alistair went to Tapton School where he did his work placement at the Forte Post house and has been hooked on the catering industry ever since.Leaving school at 16 to pursue his chosen career in a work based modern apprenticeship Alistair has worked in some of the best Hotels and Restaurants in Sheffield and the surrounding area learning his trade always with the ultimate ambition of opening his own restaurant one day. Tom started cooking at the age of 13 when he was first introduced to the highly regarded Sheffield College for a one week cookery course in the summer holidays whilst at High Storrs. It was this initial introduction that sparked his passion and ultimately led him back to Sheffield College where he completed his Professional Chefs diploma and was named college chef of the year. After leaving college Tom has worked at the highest level in Restaurants and Pubs in Sheffield and the surrounding area, maintaining and gaining local, regional & national recognition wherever he has cooked. Working together for the past 5 years it is the shared vision that dining is about the whole experience and not just the kitchen or dining room that brought Alistair & Tom together to embark on the journey of running their own restaurant working together as one team with the goal always being to delight and satisfy the customer.
Reading, United Kingdom
“Kitch but tasty!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Came here for my birthday. Had the steak which was phenomenal although asked for med and it was more med/well but that's not an issue as was so tasty. Decor is dated but that is easily overlooked as it is still a warm, welcoming environment. Very friendly staff, 2 new waitresses working but you wouldn't know as they were excellent. Lovely and unexpected to get some tasty amuse bouches. Cheese course was a bit disappointing as only Brie and Stilton (would be good to showcase some local cheeses and have more variety). Decent wine list. Would absolutely recommend and definitely go again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was our 4th visit to this establishment and this evening was a real disappointment. The food was average and the service was terrible! Will probably not visit here again, what a shame. The staff didn't care we ordered coffees and never got them and we just felt like we could have been at any average restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“A real treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My partner and I celebrated our anniversary here. The food was perfect as was the service just a shame it is so small ans so difficult to book.

Visited July 2012
Sheffield
“Lovely restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Went to Rafters for my first time with 7 family and friends on Saturday 28th April. The service was warm and friendly without being too pushy and the food was excellent. The Al a Carte menu may seem a little pricey at about £38 each (plus £3 supplement for fillet steak) but it's well worth it. As well as the 3 courses (with a reasonable amount of choice at each course) you also get appetisers prior to the starter, delicious homemade bread, sorbet between starter and main and lovely chocolates with the coffee.

The standard to the food was excellent and the portions were very good and in the opinion of all our party - it was well worth the money.

The house was a reasonable £16 per bottle with quite a bit of choice for the house wines - the Chilean red house wine was particularly good.

I don't know why it's taken me so long to try this place but now we've tried it we will definitely return.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Tasty food and comfortable atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was really looking forward to our dinner at Rafters and although it was enjoyable, I felt that for the price (one standard price for the 3 course menu-£37 per person) it did not quite live up to expectations.

They had seated a large table down the centre of the restaurant and there really wasn't the space for it so the waiters had to keep asking people to more their chairs in in order to get past. It spoiled our experience somewhat - especially as 2 of the ladies we were with are heavily pregnant and genuinely couldn't move their chairs in any further and therefore ended up being uncomfortable.

The homemade bread was really tasty (I had one made with black pudding). We were given an amuse bouche but they weren't very exciting - a slice of rolled ham hock and a circle of sliced bread topped with a piece of smoked salmon.
The crab and mini-fishcake starter had very little crab in it and as crab is a big favourite (fishcakes less so) it was disappointing.

We were presented with a watermelon sorbet as a palate cleanser which was a nice touch but it was far too sweet and left a sickly sugary feel in the mouth.

The duck and polenta main course was delicious and worked perfectly with the blackberry compote. The lamb with pommes boulanger was also very tasty. Sadly, they weren't very hot though.

I was very excited about the rhubarb dessert but I'm afraid it was a little bland. It was titled 'rhubard jelly with toasted marshmallow and rhubarb sorbet' which sounds like my perfect dessert. However, the jelly was a very thin (2mm perhaps) layer set in the bottom of the dish and quite difficult to eat. The sorbet and jelly were both a little disappointing on the flavour front-I wanted the really intense flavour of rhubarb rhubarb to come through but it just tasted like fruity jelly and sorbet. The toasted marshmallow was lovely.

I was a little disappointed in the meal at Rafters as we had been looking forward to it. When I read this back I realised that actually it wasn't what I was expecting. I would definitely give them another chance as it was full when we went and there are lots of really good reviews so I guess that maybe we just picked a bad night to go. The atmosphere was really nice and the staff were friendly.

• Visited April 2013