“Much better than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Budget Sheffield Arena

You added Ibis Budget Sheffield Arena to your Saves list
Ibis Budget Sheffield Arena
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   298 Attercliffe Common, Sheffield S9 2AG, England (Formerly Etap Sheffield Arena)   |
Ranked #36 of 57 Hotels in Sheffield
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Much better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Was a bit skeptical about staying in a budget hotel but friends and the occasion demanded it.
However I was very very pleasantly surprised, the room whilst basic, the room furnished to a good standard, all very clean and provides exceptional value for money.
The staff were very friendly, professional and helpful. Sebastian who assisted with our group at check in, was fantastic and deserves special recognition.
All in all a very positive experience and I wouldn't hesitate to use or recommend this particular hotel or the chain again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
RachelHeathcoteGM, General Manager at Ibis Budget Sheffield Arena, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Ibis Budget Sheffield Arena. I hope we can welcome you back at Ibis Budget Sheffield in the future.
Kind regards
General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed in a three person room for two nights. We were very pleased with the condition of the room, and the way it was arranged with the bunk bed above the double bed. Would have been nice if the bunk bed had been made, but no problem. We had to ask for an extra towel as we had only been provided with two, but again this wasn't a problem. The semi see-through shower door that separates the shower from the room could be a problem for some people. However for the price we were overall very happy with our experience. All of the staff we spoke to were friendly, the location is good - near a number of restaurants and a tram station so easy access to the city centre. Breakfast was fine, if a little overpriced. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
RachelHeathcoteGM, General Manager at Ibis Budget Sheffield Arena, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Many thanks for posting your comments. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back atIbis Budget Sheffied.
South Wingfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

For a budget hotel this was not too bad, however, the fact that it is budget means that it attracts a lot of young groups looking for a cheap hotel to stay in to enjoy a night out in Sheffield. If you stay here on a Saturday night, do NOT expect to get a good nights sleep. We were awoken at 4am by about 40 people congregating in the car park drinking,shouting and, most disturbingly, SITTING ON THE BONNET OF MY CAR - which had the misfortune of being parked right next to the smoking shed! My sister eventually went down to reception to tell them about our car, only to be met with derision and told that they weren't doing anything wrong by sitting on the car! I eventually went out myself and asked them to move. Its worth noting that they do have a security guard who is very nice, but the yobs didn't pay him a blind bit of notice.

I doubt that anything will be changed as a result of customer dissatisfaction, they are undoubtedly making a lot of money by targeting these very groups. My advice, spend a few more quid and stay somewhere nice instead. The taxi fare to town costs over £10 each way anyway thus negating much money saving!

• Stayed August 2013
RachelHeathcoteGM, General Manager at Ibis Budget Sheffield Arena, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at Ibis Budget Hotel Sheffield Arena appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issue.
Rachel Heathcote,
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I'll pre-face this by saying I have stayed in budget hotels before. I have no problem with a cheap & cheerful hotel room when spending very little money a night. However I have many issues with my stay in this hotel...

Firstly we paid a £6 supplement for a third person in our room. It would have been nice if we had been provided with more than 1 towel and if the third (bunk) bed had been made - thanks for leaving the sheet though, we did it ourselves!!!!

The room was basic, as expected, however the lack of a telephone to call reception was particularly grating for reasons that will be listed below.

The air conditioning was broken, which meant we had to open our window to cool the room due to the high temperatures. This wasn't enough due to the restricted openings of the window to let anything more than the tiniest breeze in - so I spent the first 5 hours of the night trying to sleep in sweltering temperatures. Then a party of around 20-30 people returned to the hotel. At check-in we had been asked to "respect others" staying in the hotel if we were going out getting drunk. Which to be honest, didn't need saying - we're a group of adults. Yes we're younger than middle age but found this comment particularly stereotypical and quite frankly offensive. So to be woken at 4am and kept awake by this group of DISGUSTING YOBS in the car park, drinking, shouting, screaming, having conversations at the tops of their voices and banging things was absolutely beyond me. No telephone in room so couldn't report to reception/security and no way of opening the window to shout at the people to shut up! Noise continued for over an hour during the night.

We had booked 2 rooms for a party of 5, our rooms were split on different floors (ridiculous!) and despite my friends in the other room having their window shut they too heard the noise. After a while the drunks came into the hotel & made noise on the various floors until they deemed it a good time to go to sleep.

No one on reception in the morning when we checked out to complain to and think that the £63 we paid for the 2 rooms was VASTLY over priced. I could have got a better nights sleep in my car. Which thankfully I parked outside of the Ibis car park as I would not have felt it was safe & secure with this yobbish behaviour taking place in the carpark. Evidence of the idiots was ripe in the morning with cider bottles around the car park!

WILL NEVER stay with accor group again after this!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
RachelHeathcoteGM, General Manager at Ibis Budget Sheffield Arena, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I’m sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at Ibis Budget Hotel Sheffield Arena. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously and I am looking into the points raised. I have given further feedback to you direct following completion of our Guest Satisfaction Survey following your stay. I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Ibis Budget Sheffield Arena in the future.
Kind regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a charity ice hockey weekend and occupied four rooms of the hotel. The location was brilliant - hotel backs into Ice Sheffield and is less than 5 minutes walk from the Motorpoint arena. We were spoilt for choice for places to eat as there's a big restaurant, cinema, crazy golf and bowling alley complex a 5 minute walk away.

The rooms were all recently refurbished and very clean. The facilities were fine and the staff were helpful at check in.

Note: there is a £3 charge for car parking and no tea/coffee facilities in rooms (there's a cafe in reception) which is to be expected for £29.00 a night!

Will stay here again next year.

• Stayed July 2013
RachelHeathcoteGM, General Manager at Ibis Budget Sheffield Arena, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Budget Sheffield Arena.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

staying at an ibis for the first time July 20th 2013 during the tramlines festival.
I was woken at 3 am by noise in the corridor and went to investigate.
Apparently opposite my room was a stag party returning and the security staff had confronted them regarding their noise levels. There was no noise until security banged on their door - which I explained and was met with foul language and one security man placing his foot in my doorway so I was unable to close it.
I felt very unsafe and reported the matter to the police.
I complained to the manageress whom blamed me for the disruption - disgusting.
I will not stay ibis again.

• Stayed July 2013
RachelHeathcoteGM, General Manager at Ibis Budget Sheffield Arena, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at Ibis Budget Hotel Sheffield Arena appreciate your feedback, though, as we discssed on your day of check out the security team are here to ensure that noise is kept to a minimum to ensure that other guests staying in the hotel are not disturbed. As discussed you were spoken to by security team due to the unacceptable noise levels and were asked to keep these noise levels to a minimum as other guests were being disturbed. The hotel operates a zero tollerence policy of noise and I am disappointed that you feel that being asked to be quite in respect of other guests was unacceptable.
Rachel Heathcote,

Been to Ibis Budget Sheffield Arena? Share your experiences!