“Fabulous locations and great hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Leopold Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leopold Street 2, Sheffield S1 2JG, England   |
Ranked #15 of 57 hotels in Sheffield
Lincolnshire
“Fabulous locations and great hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

Really surprising find. Smart, trendy hotel in great location. Clean and comfortable room with all you'd expect and at a brilliant price. Highly recommend. Lack of on site parking was only downside, but there is a secure car park nearby and you can drop your bags by parking temporarily in front of hotel. Loads of restaurants and bars around too.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

585 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

The service at this hotel was so bad that I feel compelled to leave a review. I should highlight that I have never felt bothered enough to ever review anything before.

On paper this looks like a great hotel. Good location, nice rooms, stylishly designed. But it quickly became apparent that beauty was only skin deep. I requested hypoallergenic pillows and bedding when I checked in as I allergic to feather pillows & duvets.

When I returned to my room after a long day and evening of meetings, I slumped on my bed only to find that not only were all the pillows feather but the duvet too. It was too late to be bothered to do anything about it, so I spent an unconfortable night with cushions and the covering blanket.

In the morning as I was waiting in the foyer for a taxi I had booked the night before which had not turned up, I asked reception only to be greeted with a gormless look and a promise that it had been booked. 15mins passed - still no taxi and they made me feel like I was being un reasonable when I made the simple request for them to phone the taxi firm.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

Billed as Sheffield's first boutique hotel the Leopold is certainly different to anything else that Sheffield currently has to offer. It is a a good small boutique hotel (It's a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of The World) which offers a good location, excellent service from motivated staff and great value for money. On this stay I got one of their top rooms for £110 including taxes, breakfast and wi-fi.
The room that I booked was a mezzanine suite, in hindsight not a great choice when you are trying to negotiate your way down the spiral staircase at 3am to get to the bathroom, and in truth, the downstairs "sitting room" is not much of a space in terms of size or layout. If I stayed again I would book a large double instead of the suite. The room was clean and comfortable, bath robes slippers, safe, i-pod dock, tea/coffee making and water in the fridge. TV had some cable channels but no sky sports and only paid for movies. WI Fi was patchy but free with the suite (I wouldn't have been happy if I'd paid). Staff were great, one of the receptionists ironed my colleagues shirt for him and all queries were handled efficiently and effectively. I didn't eat in the hotel as there are five restaurants in the square immediately behind the property, although I must say that the room service menu did look good with a good amount of choice for a small hotel.
The only drawback was the car parking which is not on-site and whilst only a 5 minute walk away it seemed more like 15 minute drive around Sheffield's wonderful one-way system.
All in all great value for money. I would recommend and definitely would stay again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our 4th time in 18 months. We love the hotel... the King Size Deluxe Room overlooking Leopold Square still impresses us. The manager placed a lovely card in the room welcoming us back and some gorgeous, "old fashioned" boiled sweeties in a jar. The only thing that seemed strange, and did in fact slightly detract from our Leopold experience was upon arrival mid afternoon on Saturday we weren't able to sit at any of the vacant tables in the bar area as they were set for anyone wishing to come in for afternoon tea. This has never been an issue before. The bar is a nice place to sit and have a glass of wine, people watching over the square.

So is the Leopold bar a bar, or is it a tea room?

That being said, the staff were brilliant as usual and we will still go back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
newark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

I visited this hotel with a group of friends. it was a lovely experience, from the very beginning we were made to feel welcome, the rooms are well-appointed and very comfortable (lovely toiletries!). the hotel is adjacent to a shopping centre, bars, clubs, restaurants and the sheffield 'eye'. i would definitely return!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Kent, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

The location of the hotel is perfect for either a city break (right in the middle of the shops and restaurants) or for a business trip (walking distance from the train station).

Converted from an old school or college building my room was a bit of an odd shape and a little small. However I'm sure other rooms are different and therefore some will be roomier than others. Facilities within the room were very good and it was a comfortable nights' sleep. The restaurant menu looked good but I did not dine there.

My welcome was very friendly and the guy who checked me in escorted to the lifts to ensure I knew where I was going.

Unfortunately the service in the bar was the one bad point of the stay. Although they indicated they served cocktails when I asked for a Vodka Martini they almost served me Gin mixed with Vodka!!! (despite having vermouth at the back of the bar). Also in the morning coffee service was very hard to find.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

We all went for a weekend as a colleague was moving to a new career it was a most enjoyable stay . The rooms were fantastic and not one complaint was heard about any thing.

Well done the Leopold Sheffield.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Leopold Hotel? Share your experiences!