“I'd like to award it more but....” 3 of 5 stars

Leopold Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leopold Street 2, Sheffield S1 2JG, England   |
Ranked #15 of 57 hotels in Sheffield
Bath, United Kingdom
“I'd like to award it more but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was my second visit to the Leopold. However my husband has stayed there many times. I didn't post my first stay as I was too busy to do so but it wasn't great. The heating wasn't working and they couldn't move us as they were full so we put up with a night of fan heaters. They did move us on the second night but not good. Likewise this stay was a bit of a mixed bag. We were in room 183 which is on the top floor. We'd specifically asked for a quiet room howevever we could hear the hum of the air con units three floors below travelling up and seeping through the double glazing.

The water pressure was terrible. It took at least 10 minutes to fill a bath and you had to keep the toilet flush pushed in until the waste flushed away. The toiletries are good but my bath sheet was ripped. Not boutique.

The breakfast 'offering' has improved since my last stay and the full English is cooked to order and of good quality. Unfortunately they'd run out completely of orange juice (at 8.30!). They'd been busy apparently. I'm sorry but this is a breakfast staple and there should be no excuse for this.

Generally the decor is nice and it is in a great location but to my mind this doesn't warrant enough to award more than an average rating.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and comments following your recent atsy with us. I have noted your points and discussed them with team, thank you for bringing them to my attention.
I do hope that you would stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you then.

585 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Harrow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I liked this hotel very much, I like the building and the location. The room was clean and comfortable and we were lucky enough to be staying at the back of the hotel which was quiet. The breakfast was lovely however, i felt like we were eating it in a canteen. The tables had wheels on them and no tablecloth, a bit basic and drab. i would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Monique H

Thank you for your comments and review following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope we get to welcome you back soon.

Worksop, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Just spent Saturday night at the Leopold. The first room we were given was lovely, but the bed was a standard double - smaller than our bed at home. A quick call to reception and we were given a nice room on the top floor with a fantastic bed and a very acceptable bathroom. Our in-room breakfast was excellent - what should have been hot was, and the pastries and fruit were excellent. Would not hesitate to stay here again. A bargain at £90 for bed and breakfast.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments and review following your recent stay with us at the Leopold. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and the team looked after you so well. Thank you again for your comments and we do hope to welcome you back soon to the Leopold Hotel.

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I have stayed here three or four times, this time I had a duplex suite which was nice with plenty of space and clean however the heating didn't work, I ordered my breakfast to be delivered to my room this was a full English breakfast and unfortunately this was cold, the wireless they have there is poor there is a option for a high speed or a normal wifi connection for just browsing and looking at emails I thought this was a little strange unfortunately both options won't let you use a VPN which is very important to me. Usually this is great here maybe just a bit of bad luck the only other pain is ther car park is a bit of a trek especially at night with heavy bags I would say that I wouldn't let my wife do this walk by her self valet parking would be a great solution.

When I did I complain to the hotel about my issues to be fair they did give me free breakfast and a free voucher for parking it's good to see a hotel which listens if you have a bit of a winge, all of the staff here are really nice.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Garethj
Thank you for your review and comments following your recent stay with. I am sorry that you had some issues with breakfast, I will certainly act upon this with the F&B team. Our basic wifi is free for all guests and in general is fine for emails and general browsing. The high speed option is something that is available and maybe this is a better option for your needs.
Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope that you will return to us in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The mezzanine suite is perfect for longer stays...move the fridge downstairs and add a microwave and it would perfect almost like home away from home. I would also recommend adding more storage space. The location is perfect if you need public transportation or desire the night life...everything is at your door.

I prefer boutique hotels (which i consider this to be) because of the attention to detail and first class service. The Leopold stands out from other hotels in the vicinity i.e. Mercur and Novatel due to it's character, location, the size of the mezzanine suite, in addition to offering free wifi and bottled water (refilled on request- a very nice touch). I did encounter some major issues which were annoying including a foul sewage smell and air handler problems (which were never fixed over a 5+ night stay), what made everything worse was about 80% of the staff (not naming names as I attribute lack of customer attention/consideration to upper management) who made us feel as if they were doing us a favor by letting us stay at The Leopold. I do not consider a fix for every problem to be changing your room, especially when you are unpacked for a longer stay and it's been a long day and I certainly don't expect to feel uncomfortable every time I pass the front desk because I complained, which is exactly what happened. Family have stayed here before and called it a respite, for me, my first stay I would call it a disappointment due to the stress the issues caused and which were further exasperated by the staff.

I wouldn't say don't stay here, just be aware that if you have a problem most of the staff will only offer you another room and think they have resolved the issue.

Room Tip: Room 129 Larger bed/smaller living area, faces West Street and vibrates when tram passes. Room 134 S...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Leopold_Manager, Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us recently. I unfortunately didnt get to meet you during your stay, however I did speak and meet with your mother on a few occasions and discussed her issues. As you can appreciate with the two issues you had they were not a simple matter of just fixing them there and then that is why a room move was offered as it was the only solution at the time. I do feel we did as much as we could and our team do go out of their way to help guests as much as possible, something your mother acknowledged to me. I do apologise if you at any time any member of our team made you feel uncomfortable and it is something we have discussed with the team. Since your stay I know your mother has been back to stay with us and I did arrange for her to get a preferential rate due to the fact she would be staying with us over a period of time.
Thank you again for staying with us and should you wish to speak to me at any time please feel free to do so.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed over for one night on business, good hotel and location.

As people have said the hotel car park is about 8/10 minutes walk away but hey ho.

The hotel is an old building but they have turned the trick of making this a modern sleek hotel in a vibrant area, nice bar area quick check in, friendly staff and a good breakfast.

My room was on the 4th floor and was clean and a good size some of my colleagues has lofts with a bedroom up a spiral staircase.

The bathroom was good my only issues were the TV set to high in the room and the shower was not a power shower.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and comments following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel.I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay overall and we do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

overall the staff were excellant, breakfast staff not as good as the rest, but still polite and friendly.
the hotel is in an excellant postion, tramss noisy first thing in the morning 6am ish. good deal on the car park with q parks just a bit of a trek with suitcases

Room Tip: as far away from the trams as posible
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and comments following your stay at the Leopold Hotel nd I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I do hope that we get to welcome you back soon.

Regards
Michael Skehan

Been to Leopold Hotel? Share your experiences!